Opinions on GDR2/Amber Update

Moises Corilloclla

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
After almost 24 hours since I installed the Amber/GDR2 update, I think I am able to give my POV on my experience so far...
I think the update was much ado about very little. For me, the thing that I really appreciated from this update is the fact that I feel more in control of the storage system in the phone. At least it is giving the owner the chance to store maps on the SD card, as well as reviewing the storage usage of the many apps an owner may have. In fact, thanks to the fact that finally the lumia storage check is finally operational, I decided to delete the AP news app, since it was using a whooping 1GB of storage. Another thing is the capacity to block unwanted calls and text, which i am not crazy to use, but you never know...
I feel that the phone itself is slicker, it must be because it has more free space. In this case, the "other" storage issue has been dealt with partially. I have come from 1.9 to 1.1GB, which is a lot, but i do not feel is enough, considering I am not a heavy app user.
Now, the downside is the fact that it has not dealt with duplicated music, video files on the sd card. I had to recopy some music that was duplicated after the phone restarted when finishing the update. Another thing is the battery consumption, which i think it has gone up slightly.
I am honestly not moved by the glance update. Those of us who have had already Symbian S3 phones know what it is about. The double tap is something that i consider "cosmetic", and does not add too much to the experience, but i do not dismiss it because at some point it might be useful. Some people are frustrated not to have FM radio. Me, not so much. There are more important issues on WP8 to resolve than that honestly. In fact, I am surprised that almost anybody has complained about the minimal scope of this update: the Xbox music app is still crap, and apps are still installed on phone mem.
Your input is welcome.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree. It hasn't really done much to keep me excited. I agree I like the control/explanation of where my drive space is going. It is draining my battery like crazy. That has been a big bummer. I didn't know we could store maps on SD card now. How do I go about doing that?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
What I've noticed:

Battery/power usage has gotten better. I can go longer between charges (granted I still drop the phone on to the Qi charger every night, but the phone says I can go longer between charges).

I love the double tap screen to wake. I hated having to press the power button.

The glance screen... Meh... I tried each option, eventually turned it off.

I like the call/text blocking. I've already put it to use.

Xbox music - Still the same. Once I figured out to let the old MS Media Player on my PC to auto update all my ID3 tags on my MP3's, then transfer to phone, I haven't had any issues. They still need to address Playlists, DRM free audiobooks (I found the work around of making them podcasts though).
Transferring music/videos to the phone has gotten A LOT BETTER. I use the WP8 desktop program, and it goes much faster and doesn't hang anymore.

The "other" storage issues are gone. I have plenty of space now. I have a feeling that if one is still having issues, you might have to do a Reset to see it work properly. Personally I would do a reset after a firmware update anyway, just to clear out any "bit rot". I also use the "Lumia Storage Check" from the beta program and put my maps on my SD card.

I do miss "Local Scout" being a separate app, instead of being inside MS Map app (took me forever to re-find it, as I use it quite a bit).

I would like to see an ability to force a compass re-calibration. For some reason mine keeps drifting over time. Maybe this update will correct it.

Not to sound clich? but, the phone feels faster and smoother overall.

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I did a hard reset after the update and I don't see it anymore except for a few things? Please help! I just posted a new thread that goes into detail. Please check it out if u can

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Things I like

Much improved battery life
Glance with the red clock for night time
Call / SMS text blocking on a PER NUMBER basis
Lumia color profile
Lots of new Nokia apps
Got 2GB back from "Other" storage
Ability to store my 3+GB of maps on my 64gb card

Thing(s) I am not liking (abiet some are general):

Device has rebooted on it's own 2 times since the upate was installed last Saturday, hoping it is caused by an app and it gets updated. Phone never rebooted before this update.
MISSING FM radio despite hardware being present. I love to listen to the morning show while in the gym
Still no LTE
MS removed the most common games played from the top of the list...bummer

Other thouhts
Phone usability has definately imrpoved with the new options made available by updated applications and new ones. Overall props to MS and Nokia for getting the job done. No props to Nokia and T-Mobile for not being more forthcoming about this an other updates.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Not odd at all... the separate app is a beta that includes features that have not made it to the release version yet.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Odd that they didnt include it in the built in storage check.
Not really. Since Nokia can't guaranty the speed of the SD card. People were complaining about maps not working on slow SD cards, they yanked that feature.

So, if you do try the Lumia Storage Check Beta, set it up with maps on SD card, and you have issues; put the maps back on the phone, or try to find a better SD card.

markdotinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
They didn't really add too much; the red glance clock at night is a good feature. The only thing that was really a big deal was storage check, and that really is huge.

Ramesh Dimba

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
After the update on my Lumia 928, the compass has stopped working and it seems to use cellular network even though the wifi is on and connected.
Anyone seeing these issues?

..Ramesh

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Not here, nl810. I'm seeing battery draining in 5 hours or less. And that's with none of the new features turned on.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
@Mr. Tofu - There are a few other things that people are forgetting to mention that the update does...

First off, it will install all those 'old apps' from your last backup. This, for me, included some that went away quite some time ago... The second thing, it re-enables backgroud data for ALL applications... Make sure to go into settings and disable the background data for any apps you don't need to have going.

Then you need to make sure that Tap to Share is off if you had it off before. Mine came back on when I did the update and it was killing my battery very quickly.

Finally, it will take a few cycles for the battery meter to settle in - but not to the extent that 5 hours is a full charge. Mine seemed to be about 20% off for the first few days. After running all the way down to shutdown and giving it a full charge, it settled back in at about 12 hours of use or 18 hours of light use.

The Glimpse feature is a killer, the tap to wake is a bit of a drain, but turning off the background data and Tap to Share got rid of my drainage problems quite nicely...

MrTofu

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that info. I actually did make sure to turn off the background tasks, tap and send and even the new features. Ended up performing 3 hard resets. 3rd time seems to be the charm people say it is. So far it is holding up. Thanks.

UPDATE: Nope. Same darn behavior is back. Boo...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos