Battery life atrocious after update

Rob Bushell

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
has anyone tried to reboot the phone when it reads a low battery.. several times I have done this and the battery increases from.... last time, 38% with a fast drop off, to 65% with normal drop over the rest of the day.. once it went from 81% with very little decrease (had removed an app I wanted to reinstall fresh so switched off and on) to the phone telling me that the battery was too low to even boot.. took 30 minutes on charge for phone to come up again..
if the phone is warm let it cool off before you restart it.. I think the heat affects the way it senses battery life. what with it increasing the resistance of the contacts to battery/charging circuits..
when you see the phone it bits the battery connectors run across the CPU heatsink, or at least very near it..

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow, my Battery app just popped up with a notification that the "Battery is discharging quickly". I checked the app and the battery was discharging at 19% per hour. :shocked: I rebooted, and it dropped to 16% per hour. Yanked the battery, powered up and checked and it was at 17% per hour.

All this started again with the phone on the coffee table, doing NOTHING for the last hour or so (I was surfing the web on my laptop and watching TV at the same time).

So I decided this was enough. I installed the "Nokia Software Updater for Retail" fresh (deleting the firmware I torrentted). Plugged in the phone and let the program download the new official firmware and let it re-flash it.

I just finished restoring and letting the phone re-download all my installed apps. For once, I didn't get any errors on the download. (ok, one app didn't download, Nokia Pro Cam. But that's expected since it isn't officially out for the 810). So time will tell if this works, or not.

Whoops, spoke to soon. All the Nokia specific updates just horked again. Dang, I was hoping they would have fixed that by now. Oh well, off to manually pull them down

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My battery life has been crazy after the update. So, I followed an advice on another thread: I drained the battery completely and started recharging from there. That was like two days ago. Now battery is going fine so far, with usual 14 hours span usage and fully recharging to 100% (previously it only charged to 50% tops only).

Glad that worked for you. Another satisfied customer! Ha ha..... Moises, do that two more times. I'd be real surprised if you didn't see more improvement.

Get one of the battery monitoring apps. Have your phone charge when you go to bed. Reset the battery data to zero, so to speak. Sleep. Wake up. Check estimated battery life. It should be in the three day zone, using about .5% life per hour. Measuring standby usage is the only accurate way to compare anything. Too many variables once the phone is in use. FWIW, with rather minimal phone use, wifi always on, lots of screen time putzing, my battery life was two days.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, Amber doesn't seem to have changed anything for me in terms of battery consumption. For those who got an unwelcome bedmate, my sympathies.

Obviously, Glance takes a bit more juice. I don't turn it off at night because - TMI? - I, um, glance at the time if I trundle off to the loo in the middle of the night.

I leave wifi on all the time, no BT, no NFC. With my aftermarket 2500mah battery I'm good for almost three days of sporadic use. Over four days of standby. Hey, that's dumb phone territory!

I just checked on the 2500mah battery on eBay and it's a real puzzler. I bought mine July 17th, $9.99 inc. shipping from China. Now, they are wanting the same $10 but also want $30 shipping! Glad I got mine when I did. YMMV.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, Amber doesn't seem to have changed anything for me in terms of battery consumption. For those who got an unwelcome bedmate, my sympathies.

Obviously, Glance takes a bit more juice. I don't turn it off at night because - TMI? - I, um, glance at the time if I trundle off to the loo in the middle of the night.

I leave wifi on all the time, no BT, no NFC. With my aftermarket 2500mah battery I'm good for almost three days of sporadic use. Over four days of standby. Hey, that's dumb phone territory!

I just checked on the 2500mah battery on eBay and it's a real puzzler. I bought mine July 17th, $9.99 inc. shipping from China. Now, they are wanting the same $10 but also want $30 shipping! Glad I got mine when I did. YMMV.

I just bought 2/ 1950mAh batteries with a wall charger, that I like. $16.98 w/ shipping

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I just bought 2/ 1950mAh batteries with a wall charger, that I like. $16.98 w/ shipping

Basically factory batteries, of course. 1800mah? 1950mah? Who's to really say? Might just be hype. Even if not, that's only an 8% increase. Any phone user whose phone has removable batteries and doesn't have a stand alone charger and some spares is a fool. Even if you can charge when and where you want, can you leave your phone unattended for five hours? (True story: Guy recently reported to police that someone stole his CD player - or something - as he left it in the library to charge. DOH!)

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Definitive Glance battery consumption

Power consumption of Glance:

The bottom line: It effectively doubles standby power usage.

I just did a one hour standby test and time remaining is 2 days and 4 hours. W/o Glance, I used to get right around 4 days.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is with my 2500mah battery that I've mentioned on this forum. With the factory 1800mah battery, your times would be about 1 day and 13 hours and just under 3 days.

If you charge every day and you like Glance, leave it on. If you need to stretch your battery life, turn it off.

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Basically factory batteries, of course. 1800mah? 1950mah? Who's to really say? Might just be hype. Even if not, that's only an 8% increase. Any phone user whose phone has removable batteries and doesn't have a stand alone charger and some spares is a fool. Even if you can charge when and where you want, can you leave your phone unattended for five hours? (True story: Guy recently reported to police that someone stole his CD player - or something - as he left it in the library to charge. DOH!)

For 2.5 months I've looked for a stand alone charger for the 810/822 battery and this is the first I've seen, and I know how to search.
but yeah who knows if they are actually 2500mAh or 1950mAh the price is right -except for the battery you bought which is now -$30. shipping ? nuts

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
For 2.5 months I've looked for a stand alone charger for the 810/822 battery and this is the first I've seen, and I know how to search.
but yeah who knows if they are actually 2500mAh or 1950mAh the price is right -except for the battery you bought which is now -$30. shipping ? nuts
\
When I bought a new stand alone charger and some batteries for a recently acquired C7, the charger was exactly like one I already had. Unlike the chargers that have a depression just like one's phone and is battery size specific, these chargers are Nokia universal. They have a spring loaded clamping mechanism. The downside is that they are very sensitive to being bumped or knocked, and the battery flies out. OTOH, the same charger works on batteries for my (sold) E90. the C7, and the 810.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Definitive Glance battery consumption

Power consumption of Glance:

The bottom line: It effectively doubles standby power usage.

I just did a one hour standby test and time remaining is 2 days and 4 hours. W/o Glance, I used to get right around 4 days.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is with my 2500mah battery that I've mentioned on this forum. With the factory 1800mah battery, your times would be about 1 day and 13 hours and just under 3 days.

If you charge every day and you like Glance, leave it on. If you need to stretch your battery life, turn it off.

Upon rereading a number of posts, I'm not sure if the increased battery consumption is due to Glance or the Six Tap feature. What a jerk off. I'll try another standby test with the Six Tap off.

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I too am experiencing horrible battery life after the update. I have now reset for the 3rd time and this time turned virtually everything off and did not install any apps, no default installed app updates done, no Glance, no double tap. Battery life was spectacular for the first 5 hours, battery saver (which was not turned on) said 100% remaining after 4 hours of light-moderate use, 99% remaining after 5 hours. I was using the phone mostly just to read emails and a couple of websites - wifi was on with a hidden network but did not enable "Keep Wi-Fi on when the screen times out", bluetooth was on briefly. After 5 hours, the phone began to get warm and battery life rapidly decreased - it rapidly dropped to 64% remaining, then 20%, then dead in the course of 2 hours, nearly all standby.

With the next overnight recharge, i turned everything off except cellular - no tap & send, no wi-fi, no bluetooth. Battery life looked OK for the first 2 hours, then the battery got warm and it was dead in 2 hours with no phone usage, only light data usage again. It's possible my battery decided to go but these issues only started after the Amber update and the fact it seems good then suddenly goes off a cliff seems odd.

This only started after the Amber update - going to head to the store tomorrow to get an official complaint logged and see if I can get another phone to see if it's any different.

one note: I do have the wireless charging back installed - I have tried charging via plug and wireless, no difference noticed either way

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
100% after 4 hours of moderate use, 99% after 5 and battery saver not turned on ? WOW !!! :amaze:
You should have contacted Guinness that sounds like something they would have included it the Guinness Book of World Records
too bad you didn't then we could all read about it.

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
100% after 4 hours of moderate use, 99% after 5 and battery saver not turned on ? WOW !!! :amaze:
You should have contacted Guinness that sounds like something they would have included it the Guinness Book of World Records
too bad you didn't then we could all read about it.

appropriate sarcasm noted... I'm thinking battery % was obviously off but it happened, screenshot below

another test update - put in airplane mode at about 35% remaining earlier today, battery drain continued and it died after 2 hours... so wondering if battery is an issue but again, issues only started after Amber update

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130826_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20130826_0002.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Power saving mode has no effect on anything until the battery gets low. The default on my E73 was 15%. Don't recall on WP if that is adjustable, I just have PS turned off.

It's just a last gasp to extend battery life when the needle is closing in on E.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I really wish there was some sort of diagnostic app to help figure out what's going on. I have email Nokia about the issue, sadly they just kept recommending the standard stuff, reset the phone, turn off glace, double tap to wake, minimize background processes, etc. etc. etc., if all that fails, send the phone in for repair.

I've been going through all the steps, one at a time trying to see what might be the cause. I might have found the issue. I think it might be the push email from my Microsoft account. I changed it from "as items arrives" to "15 minutes", and things have gotten better.

So, anyone else that is having issues please give that setting a try for a couple of days and report back.

eugie

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Sysapps pusher after reset the phone back all ur settings to up to date..disconnect xbox f u don't need it,block apps that run in background, turn off location, set 30 s backlight,uninstall apps that u can't block 2 run in background..

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Update: after talking to Customer Care and 2nd level tech support, got a replacement phone Thursday. After a full charge with the new phone with old battery, battery life was back to normal - still going strong after 3 days, even with Glance enabled, WiFi running after timeout, etc. Appeared to be hardware-related, at least for me. Only change was phone body, still using same battery and wireless charging back.

edit: other variable is the OTA update from previous phone, new phone came with the updates

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok,

I've done another reset. This time I didn't do a restore from a backup. I just entered all my email address, facebook, etc. accounts. I've also held back on the following updates:
Feedback to Nokia
Storage Check
Nokia Account
Accessories
Audio
Display+touch
Extras+info

I've left OFF double tap, and glance, Bluetooth, tap+send
I've left ON Wi-Fi, Location

So far, so good. Battery life is back to being normal. I've even gotten most of my old apps that run in the background running again (Battery, Bing News, Weather, HERE City Lens, HERE Drive+, Weave News Reader, Skype). Sure they drain the battery, but it's acceptable.

I can see with the Battery app, that when the phone goes into standby, the consumption is back to zero.

I'm going to leave things as-is for a couple of days and keep track of battery usage, then install the Nokia updates one at a time, and let things sit each time and again keep track of power consumption. Maybe it's one of the updates that's messing things up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre