Battery life atrocious after update

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Not an excuse, but we have to remember that these devices are made in the many millions and as much as we would like to think otherwise, there are lemons. If someone make 5 million XYZ phones, and only one tenth of one tenth percent of them are buggy, that's still 5000 units that need repair

Any you own one!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
WTH?

Where did you get that I'm making an excuse? I'm just doing due diligence in trying to find the root cause of an issue. It may not be a hardware issue. It could be some bad code in the above updates. It could be bad registry setting, that wasn't an issue in the old firmware, but causes issues in the new firmware. Or something else completely.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
WTH?

Where did you get that I'm making an excuse? I'm just doing due diligence in trying to find the root cause of an issue. It may not be a hardware issue. It could be some bad code in the above updates. It could be bad registry setting, that wasn't an issue in the old firmware, but causes issues in the new firmware. Or something else completely.

Brush up on your language skills, Guzzler. I didn't say that you are making an excuse, I'm proposing a rational, experienced reason that you might be having problems. Whatever the actual cause, and there can be thousands in a complicated device like a smartphone, you, nor anyone else will ever know. Why is my Double Tap so bad, yet others have few problems, and some, none at all. Answer: Product variability.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
^ ^^ "Nuances" in language are often missed and misinterpreted in plain text on forums

1. A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation.
2. Expression or appreciation of subtle shades of meaning, feeling, or tone: a rich artistic performance, full of nuance.:wink:

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
^ ^^ "Nuances" in language are often missed and misinterpreted in plain text on forums

1. A subtle or slight degree of difference, as in meaning, feeling, or tone; a gradation.
2. Expression or appreciation of subtle shades of meaning, feeling, or tone: a rich artistic performance, full of nuance.:wink:

Amen, PB_H! As a certifified Grammar Gestapo, I am slapped upside the head every day with reading posts, or whatever, that suffer from gross misinterpretation. I am a participant and moderator on a very active neighborhood email newsgroup. It's amazing. Once I posted my opinion that most neighbors wouldn't really care about a certain matter, and one person was so insulted that she told me she would never forget my transgression. Of course, as events unfolded, no one cared.

Hanging around here for maybe six weeks, I do want to tell you that of many posters here, you are well grounded. Even when you beat me up once, ha ha, yes, you were right.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, things are still good after the factory reset, and NO restore from previous image. I have all the current patches finally installed and all my previous (and then some) apps reinstalled. Also all the background apps are allowed to run freely. No more are the high discharge rates with the phone in standby.

I've been able to go a full day with serious usage (Web browsing, Music, phone calls, etc.) without having to recharge mid way through. Although playing Angry Birds is what I've found to suck the most power now. Fortunately I don't play it that much, just when I'm really bored and have caught up on all my browsing ;)

I still haven't turned on Glance or double tap to wake though. I don't find Glance that useful, but I do miss the double tap to wake. I might turn that back on eventually, as I really do appreciate that feature.

I have a feeling that in the restore images there was a registry setting that just wasn't compatible with the new version. Sadly I can't really confirm this, since there isn't away to delve into the registry or anything else for that matter. But that's life.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Glance and Double Double tap take virtually no power. I have both on and my standard battery will run four days on standby. 2G data, wifi on, all live apps running.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Paul, I wish could say the same, but when I turned off glance, my phone is at 50% and I've been running all day, just about 16 hours.

Maybe glance was coming on repeatedly in my pocket.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Paul, I wish could say the same, but when I turned off glance, my phone is at 50% and I've been running all day, just about 16 hours.

Maybe glance was coming on repeatedly in my pocket.
The only time my Glance screen is off is when it's in a case. Which isn't often. Sort of 22/7?

In all these battery discussions on this forum, I've been trying to get peeps to understand that to compare anything, one has to start at standby. User A saying, "I use the phone sometimes, a lot of music, blah blah," completely screws up any baseline. A user on 4G and Facebook and GPs will suck a battery fast. I never use GPS or Facebook, and I have almost no data desires, so I'm using 2G. With sporadic phone use and texts, one should get four days from the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb