Lumia 810 Encryption?

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 810 page on the Nokia website says that there is data encryption, but how do you use the encryption feature?
(I'm a paranoid Computer Security Major...)

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 810 page on the Nokia website says that there is data encryption, but how do you use the encryption feature?
(I'm a paranoid Computer Security Major...)

All I know is I can see what you had for breakfast and see what you now are doing to your...:shocked:...never mind

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes that is true, but I'd rather encrypt it than leave it alone.

But it's encrypted by default:
Storage

How about the internal storage itself? Why don’t we break the phone take out the internal storage and may be at least try to steal the data? But wait, the storage again uses a 128 bit Bitlocker for encryption. The drive remains encrypted until the boot loader performs the job completely. The TPM chip which comes with the hardware is the one which manages the key for the encryption which means that once the disk is outside the hardware, you will need the 128 bit recovery key to break in the data. The storage behaves the same way as what your bitlocked hard drive behaves.

Remember this is on WP8 devices across the board, so there is nothing to turn off or on. Except for the microSD cards. Those are left unencrypted at all times. In WP7, the microSD card was joined/merged with the internal storage and encrypted. To many people complained about not being able to move things around so they removed that "feature".

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
But it's encrypted by default:
Storage
Oh okay got it, Thanks
How about the internal storage itself? Why don’t we break the phone take out the internal storage and may be at least try to steal the data? But wait, the storage again uses a 128 bit Bitlocker for encryption. The drive remains encrypted until the boot loader performs the job completely. The TPM chip which comes with the hardware is the one which manages the key for the encryption which means that once the disk is outside the hardware, you will need the 128 bit recovery key to break in the data. The storage behaves the same way as what your bitlocked hard drive behaves.

Remember this is on WP8 devices across the board, so there is nothing to turn off or on. Except for the microSD cards. Those are left unencrypted at all times. In WP7, the microSD card was joined/merged with the internal storage and encrypted. To many people complained about not being able to move things around so they removed that "feature".

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
There's a posting just a couple of days ago about how WP has met Federal security standards so that Joe Sixpack can use his phone with his federal (or Canadian) mployer.. It's right here on wp central, take a look.

The alternative perspective is, what is the likelihood? I've been online since 1999, I keep my passwords simple and mostly redundant, and I've yet to have a hack or intrusion.

You are more likely to be hit by lightning than killed by a tarist. Similar analogy insofar as our cyber lives.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
There's a posting just a couple of days ago about how WP has met Federal security standards so that Joe Sixpack can use his phone with his federal (or Canadian) mployer.. It's right here on wp central, take a look.

The alternative perspective is, what is the likelihood? I've been online since 1999, I keep my passwords simple and mostly redundant, and I've yet to have a hack or intrusion.

You are more likely to be hit by lightning than killed by a tarist. Similar analogy insofar as our cyber lives.

Very interesting, I will definitely check it out. Never question the likelihood, you could already be compromised and not even know it....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans