Comparable replacement for the Lumia 810

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I plan on going International 920 or 1020, but not necessarily for the speed and use on T-Mobile. I want them also as a failsafe. In case Spring/Softbank decide to buy T-Mobile and then start screwing things up, I can go back to AT&T and not have to worry about getting a different phone

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I plan on going International 920 or 1020, but not necessarily for the speed and use on T-Mobile. I want them also as a failsafe. In case Spring/Softbank decide to buy T-Mobile and then start screwing things up, I can go back to AT&T and not have to worry about getting a different phone

I'm really doubting that Sprint merger will go through. If it does by some chance, the last thing I'd do is go running off to AT&T. I shudder at the thought of that!

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
The Softbank deal already died...

With T-Mobile performing as well as it has in the last 90 days, DT would be crazy to let them walk. They've dumped too much cash into the network to let it go for less than AT&T bid on it and are gaining subs at a rate of 25-35k per week. Sure, it's a loss leader for them paying ETF's, but giving you $50 for a phone that they can refurb and sell through another channel for $200 is making up that loss pretty quickly.

That said, the 925 has been amazing for me so far. I did have to retool how much music I carried and how many videos I had on my device, but overall, I haven't missed much going from 8+32 down to 16... The screen is much sharper, the charging plates are much smaller, battery life is about the same (though I could stretch my 810 to a day and a half if needed - the 925 maxes at 24 hours for me. So here's the 30 second break down 810 vs. 925...

Battery Life: 810 has a slight edge - seem like about 20% more battery life on average. Winner 810...

Camera: 925 wins hands down. The addition of PureView in it just makes the photos sharper and the videos a bit cleaner. Winner 925...

Screen: I liked the 810 screen quite a bit, but the 925 is just a touch better. Cleaner lines, more accurate color (I had to tweak my 810 with color profiles to get the camera to look correct). Winner 925...

Storage Space: Yes, the 925 has less space, but it also has more room for Apps and Games. I was so happy to be able to snag Asphalt 8 when it went Free this week. Couldn't fit it on my 810. That said, not having 16-64GB of additional space for media really does cramp my style a bit... Tie...

Now with all of that said, the real kicker is that you can snag a new 810 on Amazon in the $200 range right now vs. $400-450 for a 925... If this is the case, regardless of the future of updates/longevity of support, I'd go with the 810 due to pricing. If money is no object, the 925 fills the gap nicely, but I'd more likely opt for the 920 from AT&T at $299 without contract and take it to Net10 or Red Pocket Mobile.

Hope that helps a bit and let me know if you have any questions in particular on the 925 vs. 810 thing.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well folks it's been an interesting ride but I'm going to buy Z1S, I test drove it today and man that thing is nice. It has everything in a phone that I want and then some. The screen is gorgeous, off angle viewing is over blown imo. It looks just fine from viewing off angle plus WiFi calling FM transmitter 3/5 day batt life and water resistant. I own a pool company so this fits me perfect if and when I drop the phone in a pool. The plus side is Sony's own UI on the phone it is beautiful and smooth I was really blown away with all the features this phone has to offer and not to mention no more limitations on apps.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, you can upgrade up to the Lumia 925, which is a bit larger, or the value-priced 521, which is smaller. (those are the models available directly carried by T-Mo)

If you really like the 820 series, you can spring for an unlocked 820 or other phone, as long as its unlocked. You may or may not get 3G, LTE, both although it depends where you are, what bands are supported by the phone you get.

Since T-Mo is GSM, any unlocked Lumia should work, the question is just to what extent.

Did you mean any unlocked AT&T phone? Obviously Sprint and Verizon won't work.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
822 does not work well on T-Mo for SMS/MMS issues. I have listed those issues in the 822 forums. SMS can be made to work 100% of the time by setting the data speed to 2G and then toggle back to LTE for surfing. MMS is a known problem on T-MO. On AT&T both seem to work on the 822 without issues and there are multiple threads with the correct APN listings for AT&T or Straight Talk.

How odd. SMS uses the voice carrier, slipping in between pulses. MMS does use data, but 2G or 4G shouldn't matter.

Not saying you are incorrect, just puzzling. Illogical.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Well folks it's been an interesting ride but I'm going to buy Z1S, I test drove it today and man that thing is nice. It has everything in a phone that I want and then some. The screen is gorgeous, off angle viewing is over blown imo. It looks just fine from viewing off angle plus WiFi calling FM transmitter 3/5 day batt life and water resistant. I own a pool company so this fits me perfect if and when I drop the phone in a pool. The plus side is Sony's own UI on the phone it is beautiful and smooth I was really blown away with all the features this phone has to offer and not to mention no more limitations on apps.

And you're posting this on a Windows Phone forum, the thread seeking WP alternatives to the 810?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)