Nokia Software Recovery Tool saved my phone today

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Well,

After the latest updates and such, my L810 really started to act weird with random slowness, some things not working right. Tried reboots and such and it wasn't helping. Finally thought, "Well, stuff happens. I'll just do a factory reset and start over." That was interesting. Pressed the final button to reset, the phone immediately reboots, goes right back to normal operating mode. Tried a couple of the key combos, still boots back into the O/S.

Time for drastic measures. Did a backup. Downloaded the Nokia Software Recovery Tool and let it do it's thing. Yep, after having it do all it's downloads/updates and such, it reset the phone back to factory. It even took out the Developer Preview (GDR3).

Now I just have to get it re-download all my apps (which for some reason it isn't doing on it's own this time). I guess I'll have to manually push them down from the website.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome. While I continue to look forward to not needing the Software Recovery Tool, it sounds like it's considerably easier to use than the Nokia Care Suite.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Lately I've been having some issues with my 810 as well... Random restarts, slowness and freezing. Heaven forbid I'd need to do a factory reset soon! :(

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It's really not that bad of a process. Here are my tips before doing it:

1. Backup.
    Make sure that you have turned on backup (Settings, backup) and you select 'app list+settings' then 'backup now'. Also, make sure you have copies of your Music, Pictures, Videos, etc. and they are current (OneDrive, microSD, etc.)
  2. Screen shots.
    Take as many screen shots (power btn + Win key) as you need to document your home screen layout. Again, make sure you have copies that are NOT on your phone and they are either on your OneDrive account, or just copy them off your phone to your computer.
  3. App install history.
    Go to windowsphone.com and log in, then check your app purchase history. Make darn sure you can see ALL of your purchase history with the 'more' link at the bottom of the page (keep scrolling down, and keep pressing the 'more' link and you verify all the stuff you purchased).

You might see some apps without icons, and marked "App not available in this region". Don't panic, click on the name and make sure it says 'Already purchased' and has the 'reinstall' button. This is just a "glitch in the Matrix" on Microsoft's side. They are working on it (it might become a 'feature' if you know what I mean).

If you can NOT get all of your history, STOP. Contact Microsoft support via Support Web Page (select "Apps + Games (Store)" on the dropdown, then "Contact Us") Get this resolved before you do a reset, or you will be frustrated that you might be prompted to repurchase apps you've already paid for.
  4. Blocked Call+SMS.
    Make a note of all your blocked call numbers, SMS contacts. They get erased with the reset. But you can go back into your Phone/message history and reselect them to be blocked
  5. microSD card.
    Remove the microSD card if you have one. This is a 'just in case' thing to do. The phone shouldn't touch it, but you never know. Better safe than sorry.

Now, do a reset of your phone either in the phone (settings, about, reset your phone) or with the Nokia Software Recovery Tool.

When it's done, do the normal setup steps of EULA approvals, logging in, etc. If you have carrier unlocked your phone, it will do a self restart to kick that back on eventually. When it's done, turn on Wi-Fi, kick back and wait for the apps to re-install. If they don't (it might because of the lack of GDR3 if you had it previously installed), then go to windowsphone.com and start selecting which apps you want back on your phone (this is a good time to skip the apps that you don't use and save some space on your phone.

Then, with the screen shots of your home screen brought up on another computer, start pinning the apps back on, and rearrange them to how you had them before, or experiment with a new layout, your choice. :wink:

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I do know how to go through the entire thing. Already done it before ;) And have also done installation using NSU

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I think I leave GDR3 off just so someone around here can test things that doesn't have it.

I would suggest updating to GDR3, when it was released it was a preview but now its pretty much the release version. Trust me you'll really like the few additions it has brought to the table

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I know. I ran it as soon as it came out. But there are other 810 owners that haven't installed it. And since the odds of T-mobile of actually "approving" anymore updates are slim to none, might as well see how crippled the phone ends up.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest updating to GDR3, when it was released it was a preview but now its pretty much the release version. Trust me you'll really like the few additions it has brought to the table

Once again, it never was a "preview" in that it was like a preview for a movie, just snippets of the complete movie, it was never incomplete. It is called a Preview FOR Developers as in Developers got to see it before anyone else so they could configure their apps for Update 3. Update 3 ( what MS calls it) is the same (not pretty much) MS OS as one gets in Lumia Black, you don't get Nokia's firmware but you know that.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It was still a preview or should I say a BETA of some sort, since the initial release there have been multiple updates till it became the final build

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
It was still a preview or should I say a BETA of some sort, since the initial release there have been multiple updates till it became the final build

Well OK but if you get it today it would have the one (1) small OS ( not multiple) < 10 min update included, but yes mid October when I got it was short that one update that arrived about a month later, I stand corrected :smile:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Well OK but if you get it today it would have the one (1) small OS ( not multiple) < 10 min update included, but yes mid October when I got it was short that one update that arrived about a month later, I stand corrected :smile:

You'll still get multiple OS updates, I did on a Rogers 920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven