How's your 810 holding up?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I was curious, has anyone had any luck contacting Nokia and/or T-Mobile regarding WP8.1? Nokia stated that ALL of their WP8 devices would get them, just not sure if that includes EOL'd devices like our 810's or 820/822 devices still out there.

Their response will be use Preview For Developers which is what I did to put WP8.1 on my 810 and HTC 8X - both have no support from T-Mo anymore but who cares!

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Still good.
With 8.1 it's still a keeper. From a pure marketing/business point of view Nokia made the phone too good. Easily beats the performance of many current devices.
:smile:

sakaisencho

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
outstanding.... I have abused it from day 1 and it is looking tatty, but I can't kill the thing.... just used Prev 4 Dev, to upgrade it to 8.1... it is rocking...

I have a 1520 and a Ativ S too, but the 810 is still the day to day simple pocket preference....

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Nokia 810 for close to a year. I was devastated when I found out there was no more Nokia Suite, everything HAD to work from "the cloud." And, no HID Bluetooth input, I couldn't use my little BT keyboard. And having "grown up" with REAL keyboards for many years with the Nokia Communicator series, definitely many steps backward in regards my control and conveniences. Nevertheless, I do love the single Start screen, the bold graphics, and other unique features of WP. Oh, and pissed that TM never put the Wifi Calling on the 810! Grrrrr...... Even the 521 has it.

I described my love/hate of WP by holding my hands a foot apart. "This is where I'd say the distance is between loving and hating all my prior phones." Then I moved my hands three feet apart, "This is my love/hate for the Windows Phone." Love it more, hate it more.

I installed 8.1 yesterday. Being that TM never had updates after GDR2, I think it was, there were SIX updates to do. Most of them were serious, long ones, and then finally, 8.1. Even that wasn't the end of it; imagine my shock at finding there was an update this AM! Turns out it was the one release two weeks ago.

Well, with 8.1 - still no WFC - I can bring my hands back closer together. I love it more, I hate it less. I did 8.1 mostly for the notifications Glance screen; I have missed SO many calls and texts. I was looking over the 8.1 features on Wikipedia, and on one tiny line, WP now has HID input! Yay, woo hoo!

So, bottom line, I'll hang onto this until the TM 700mhz band comes on line in a year or so. That should give awesome in building phone service, pretty much obviating the need for WFC. If I travel, I bring my old Nokia E73 faux Blackberry with real hardware based WFC along.

Anyway, I'm a much happier 810 camper now.

Sasakinator

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Its good that at least MS will try to support it through the Dev option. I sold mine to a friend of mine almost a year ago, it surprises me that he still has it in the condition I sold it to him. So far his phone has not had any new issues besides that his 810 does not accept any form of Sandisk sticks, but that was there when I had it too.

Moises Corilloclla

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sad to see that the 810 is dying a slow death by not officially supporting it for cyan/8.1...
Tho the dvlup version is ok, it is obviously bad that it does not appear in the update roster.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm back in the US from a 10 day trip in Europe and the 810 held up well... Almost. Pretty good for photos, although I didn't have any other choice since I gave my dedicated cam to my siblings back home. Panoramas were awesome with Photosynth (provided I did it properly, thanks to previous photog experience). I did encounter random resets twice. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the international roaming. And finally, I peeled off the original screen protector. Yes, the one that came with it when brand new, with the silver corner. I already dropped it twice after that and no scratches, thankfully. My still one and only gripe is the battery drain whenever I switch off radios (wifi and/or cellular, airplane mode) but then that's been seen in some other phones with 8.1 without Cyan. The new TSA requirement for electronic devices had me scrambling for an outlet at Brussels since even my spare battery pack has no juice left.

Since I removed the old screen protector, I'm now enjoying it like it's brand new. I never knew the screen is this clear... XD

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm back in the US from a 10 day trip in Europe and the 810 held up well... Almost. Pretty good for photos, although I didn't have any other choice since I gave my dedicated cam to my siblings back home. Panoramas were awesome with Photosynth (provided I did it properly, thanks to previous photog experience). I did encounter random resets twice. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the international roaming. And finally, I peeled off the original screen protector. Yes, the one that came with it when brand new, with the silver corner. I already dropped it twice after that and no scratches, thankfully. My still one and only gripe is the battery drain whenever I switch off radios (wifi and/or cellular, airplane mode) but then that's been seen in some other phones with 8.1 without Cyan. The new TSA requirement for electronic devices had me scrambling for an outlet at Brussels since even my spare battery pack has no juice left.

Since I removed the old screen protector, I'm now enjoying it like it's brand new. I never knew the screen is this clear... XD

Are you on T Mobile ? if so how was data connection and map use with "free data" ?

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the maps for the places I visited. But still, using the free data to search can be painstaking. As expected it was slow. But it did work. Also, there's usually two networks that I could roam with... and I had the phone set to automatically select. So, whenever I would lose coverage (in the metro, tunnels, thick walled buildings or the countryside) it took time to choose a network to reconnect again.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sad to see that the 810 is dying a slow death by not officially supporting it for cyan/8.1...
Tho the dvlup version is ok, it is obviously bad that it does not appear in the update roster.

As I've explained in other threads, the lack of firmware updates is mostly non-issue. 90% of the features with these "updates" don't require firmware updates as all, as they are provided through the Nokia "system" apps which are updated automatically through the store whenever the corresponding OS version is installed. (TL;DR: Install the Preview and you're good to go.)

Only features you really miss out on are things like beamer, treasure tag, and the new PlayTo app. Which with PlayTo the original version is still available and missing no actual functionality when compared to the newer version; It merely lacks the UI refresh and "performance tweaks".

The Preview, in summary, is all one really needs. Firmware like Black or Cyan are really just sugar coated cherries on top the Sunday that is Windows Phone OS updates.

Clearly this phone was too good. It'll become a cult classic. :)
The new budget phones are clearly not as good.

Agreed. It was actually the best of the three 82x devices (even though its name is in the 81x area), and most who've tried it either liked it, or hated the Windows Phone operating system as a whole, based on what I've read. And most of them liked it.

For whatever reason, be it sales or issues with the variant hardware, this device was EOL'd, but that by no means makes it a forgotten device,

Hurry up and update to WP8.1 GDR1.

Yes. Do. It's good. Trust me.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My 810 loves the WP8.1 GDR1...but I have since moved on to a 925. This is my backup because I want to use it for my overseas travel since the 810 is unlocked.

smartboyamo

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
have mines for about 1 and half year. (i bought a used one on amazon for 130) and its been holding up for a long time now. its going great so far, its just that the battery drains very fast. everything else is working in tip top shape with the new update. 8.1 update 1.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As I get ready to transition to a 925, I have no issues with my 810, now that it's running 8.1 Update, Amber. If it had Wifi Calling, I'd probably never have spent the coin or gone through the aggravations of moving to the 925. The LTE is a bonus, but since my locale and its tower totally sucks, data speeds are immaterial here. Despite my phone claiming 4G, it's only good for 2G. I know, been in this bidness for many, many years.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have an old 810 that I passed down since I went back to AT&T. Before I switched, I had it unlocked but never tried it. Has anyone tried it with AT&T and see if it gets 4G? It has the 1900 band on it from what I see and that band is more important than the 900 band from what I was told

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have an old 810 that I passed down since I went back to AT&T. Before I switched, I had it unlocked but never tried it. Has anyone tried it with AT&T and see if it gets 4G? It has the 1900 band on it from what I see and that band is more important than the 900 band from what I was told

Should work fine on ATT. I used the 810 overseas where GSM bands are similar to ATT ones and the 810 worked just fined on an overseas SIM card.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If TM had only added Wifi Calling to their upgrades as they did for the cheap POS 521, I would still be very content with my 810. While I could be, should be, and am very pissed that TM didn't give their flagship phone of the time what they gave the poor stepchild, I can't waste emotional energy on this.

Sadly, my experience with the 925 is that the radio part of the phone is a disaster. See other threads of mine ******** about this. At my home location, the 820 is always connected. The 925 drops all service some 30% of the time. Ironically, I bought it for the WFC, and the fact is now I NEED it.

Long live the 810.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs