How's your 810 holding up?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
If TM had only added Wifi Calling to their upgrades as they did for the cheap POS 521, I would still be very content with my 810. While I could be, should be, and am very pissed that TM didn't give their flagship phone of the time what they gave the poor stepchild, I can't waste emotional energy on this.

At the time, Windows Phone as a whole did not support Wi-Fi calling, which is why it was not released with such a feature, and despite floating misinformation around IMS, a device must have properly configured hardware in order to support WiFi calling. As such, the 810, never being intended to have such a feature, does not meet the requirements.

The 521 (a great little phone, btw) had wifi calling likely for 2 reasons, the first being that by that time, WiFi calling had been implemented on Windows Phone, and the second being it's target market being lower-income households, those on a budget, and those needing a secondary device, which may or may not live in lower-coverage areas/markets, making WiFi calling much more useful.

I'm resetting my 810. :(

Been having issues with displaying media on the SD card, and someone in the Microsoft answers forum suggested that these issues are due to the older firmware (since they were unable to reproduce the issues), and that they likely won't be fixed as Nokia hasn't developed any further firmware for the device. Makes me do a U-Turn on my stance on firmware updates. Maybe some of those "minor fixes & improvements" are the most important parts. (;w;" )

Hope that all is well and operational post-restore! At least 8.1(.1) backs-up and restores more of one's data than 8.0 did.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
At the time, Windows Phone as a whole did not support Wi-Fi calling, which is why it was not released with such a feature, and despite floating misinformation around IMS, a device must have properly configured hardware in order to support WiFi calling. As such, the 810, never being intended to have such a feature, does not meet the requirements.

The 521 (a great little phone, btw) had wifi calling likely for 2 reasons, the first being that by that time, WiFi calling had been implemented on Windows Phone, and the second being it's target market being lower-income households, those on a budget, and those needing a secondary device, which may or may not live in lower-coverage areas/markets, making WiFi calling much more useful.

I'm resetting my 810. :(

Been having issues with displaying media on the SD card, and someone in the Microsoft answers forum suggested that these issues are due to the older firmware (since they were unable to reproduce the issues), and that they likely won't be fixed as Nokia hasn't developed any further firmware for the device. Makes me do a U-Turn on my stance on firmware updates. Maybe some of those "minor fixes & improvements" are the most important parts. (;w;" )

Hope that all is well and operational post-restore! At least 8.1(.1) backs-up and restores more of one's data than 8.0 did.

Actually a better idea is to uninstall apps from SD card, unmount SD card, copy all data to computer, format SD card in phone and then sync phone to computer and copy all data back to card. I did that and everything works like a charm without g having to reset the phone.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
If TM had only added Wifi Calling to their upgrades as they did for the cheap POS 521, I would still be very content with my 810. While I could be, should be, and am very pissed that TM didn't give their flagship phone of the time what they gave the poor stepchild, I can't waste emotional energy on this.

Sadly, my experience with the 925 is that the radio part of the phone is a disaster. See other threads of mine ******** about this. At my home location, the 820 is always connected. The 925 drops all service some 30% of the time. Ironically, I bought it for the WFC, and the fact is now I NEED it.

Long live the 810.

I get identical coverage at my house and work on either my 810 or the 925, so you might have something interesting going on. Might want to call TMO and ask what is going on.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Actually a better idea is to uninstall apps from SD card, unmount SD card, copy all data to computer, format SD card in phone and then sync phone to computer and copy all data back to card. I did that and everything works like a charm without g having to reset the phone.

I did this. Many. F-ing. Times. Never worked. Tried numerous formats too (FAT32, exFAT, default allocation, 64kb allocation, 32kb allocation, etc...)

That and System storage exceeding 4GB said its time for a reset.

Working now though, post reset. And with 8.1's newer backup and restore mechanism, I'm not actually missing much. Still lost some game data and have to log into everything, but that's no big issue.

However, now all my music has the same album cover, despite the actual at being stored in tags -w-"

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I did this. Many. F-ing. Times. Never worked. Tried numerous formats too (FAT32, exFAT, default allocation, 64kb allocation, 32kb allocation, etc...)

Working now though, post reset. And with 8.1's newer backup and restore mechanism, I'm not actually missing much. Still lost some game data and have to log into everything, but that's no big issue.

However, now all my music has the same album cover, despite the actual at being stored in tags -w-"

Probably not your issue, but awhile back I'd be playing some music stored on my SD card and it would just stop. The Nokia music app pretty much just froze up, IIRC. Very frustrating, of course. I can't recall what led me to realize this, but the problem was merely poor contact between the card and the phone. (Score one for built in memory.) I rubbed the card contacts with a microfiber cloth and slid it in and out a dozen times.

No problems since.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Format the card using the SD card formatting tool and not Windows OS. Better yet format the card in a digital camera if you have one.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Probably not your issue, but awhile back I'd be playing some music stored on my SD card and it would just stop. The Nokia music app pretty much just froze up, IIRC. Very frustrating, of course. I can't recall what led me to realize this, but the problem was merely poor contact between the card and the phone. (Score one for built in memory.) I rubbed the card contacts with a microfiber cloth and slid it in and out a dozen times.

No problems since.
That is a good tip. Thanks.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Format the card using the SD card formatting tool and not Windows OS. Better yet format the card in a digital camera if you have one.

It wasn't the card format. I formatted it using Windows, using the phone, using formatting software, etc...

Not to mention, if it was the format, a reset wouldn't of fixed the issue, but it did.

Currently using a 32GB UHS-1 Class 10 with exFAT and 64kb allocation sized

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Update: Wife has the phone now and she has put over 1000 more talk hours on it.. She averages 6000 minutes month or roughly 100 hours of talk time. The original battery no longer works so she is using the replacement battery that I had as a back up. The phone is now 2 years and 11 months old

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Sadly my 810 is no longer with me. Either the USB port is fuzzed, or the battery decided that energy storage is gauche. It died at 2 years, 6 months. Not great, not horrible.

jbfe

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using mine. the battery drains a lot, but I bought a new one for $5 from Amazon, so we'll see how that helps. I'm traveling abroad next week, so we'll see how it does on T-Mobile with their international data, and how the new battery holds up.
I'm looking to make an upgrade at some point, but still waiting to see how W10M goes, and considering changing OSs too... We'll see. But overall, I have liked my 810

eddieDOTexe

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Mine's got a cracked screen finally. Aside from that and the usual firmware woes (which I expect Win10 to fix) everything works fine. I need to get a replacement 810 for parts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3