I'm at a crossroads with my Lumia 810; Help/Advice?

gabejw54

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm a tmo customer and I have an 810 and I really want a flagship level WP phone or the closest possible thing. I've considered a few options like buying an unlocked 1520, or waiting for a possible flagship later this summer for tmo, or worse even switching to at&t.( last resort, but really don't want to). Is anyone here in a similar boat? How are you other 810 owners going about jumping to a better WP device?

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same situation. Whereas I would like staying with T-Mobile as the monthly costs are cheap and service is decent, I have been upset with them owing to this 810 experience. For me I was just into like 6th or 7th month and the phone was declared EOL. I have been thinking of switching to ATT but for a similar plan it may cost me $40 to $50 more! The option in middle is to get the Lumia 925. Undecided to be honest.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Almost the same here, but I just need a premier phone (above entry, below flagship).

I'm going to sit on my 810 till something comes along that is used on multiple carriers, then and only then, I try to find an unbranded, unlocked version. Hopefully by then it might be able to bypass the carrier for firmware, OS updates (I know... wishful thinking).

gabejw54

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same situation. Whereas I would like staying with T-Mobile as the monthly costs are cheap and service is decent, I have been upset with them owing to this 810 experience. For me I was just into like 6th or 7th month and the phone was declared EOL. I have been thinking of switching to ATT but for a similar plan it may cost me $40 to $50 more! The option in middle is to get the Lumia 925. Undecided to be honest.

I was also really considering the 925, but the lack of micro SD support and all the issues I have with the "other" storage on my 810, and also the uncertainty of whether the 925 will get all the updates makes me lean toward waiting for a potential flagship for tmobile, or either buying an unlocked 930 or maybe 1520.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a tmo customer and I have an 810 and I really want a flagship level WP phone or the closest possible thing. I've considered a few options like buying an unlocked 1520, or waiting for a possible flagship later this summer for tmo, or worse even switching to at&t.( last resort, but really don't want to). Is anyone here in a similar boat? How are you other 810 owners going about jumping to a better WP device?

The last thing I would do is switch to AT&T. They have awful and very shady business practices, so I could care less how "great" their coverage is where I live. I'd sooner support T-Mobile being bought out by Sprint/Softbank. Anyway, I think you have the right idea in considering an unlocked phone, be it 1520 or something else. People have been snatching up the 1520.3 lately and using it on T-Mobile with great success. What I did personally was to go from the 810 to an unlocked Rogers 920 that I used for 10 months and then in late February, I got a 925 from Newegg very cheap. That's been my daily driver, although I'm keeping my 920 close. Also, I should point out that the only reason I got the 925 is because I really wanted T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling, which of course doesn't work on the 920 (and believe me, I tried it after somehow managing to install it last summer).

gabejw54

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The last thing I would do is switch to AT&T. They have awful and very shady business practices, so I could care less how "great" their coverage is where I live. I'd sooner support T-Mobile being bought out by Sprint/Softbank. Anyway, I think you have the right idea in considering an unlocked phone, be it 1520 or something else. People have been snatching up the 1520.3 lately and using it on T-Mobile with great success. What I did personally was to go from the 810 to an unlocked Rogers 920 that I used for 10 months and then in late February, I got a 925 from Newegg very cheap. That's been my daily driver, although I'm keeping my 920 close. Also, I should point out that the only reason I got the 925 is because I really wanted T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling, which of course doesn't work on the 920 (and believe me, I tried it after somehow managing to install it last summer).

So then, I have a question for you metalchick719. How would you rate your experience using the 925 as your daily driver? I actually really like the design alot, its just the storage, same camera mp as the 810, and the fear of not getting WP 8.1 that gives me the "Lumia 810 skepticism" about it. What's your opinion of that phone (925)?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So then, I have a question for you metalchick719. How would you rate your experience using the 925 as your daily driver? I actually really like the design alot, its just the storage, same camera mp as the 810, and the fear of not getting WP 8.1 that gives me the "Lumia 810 skepticism" about it. What's your opinion of that phone (925)?

I absolutely love the 925. I also thought I'd have an issue with only having 16GB and no expandable storage, but I've been there before with my iPhone 4. But I've learned to live without having music installed on my phone and that's how it works for me. I use music streaming apps instead, and actually, I've been only using Nokia MixRadio so far since getting my 925. I don't have as many games as I have on the 920, but the ones I either didn't install or uninstalled are those I don't use much anyway. My only real problem with the 925 is the SAR rating because it's on the high side compared to the 920 and a lot of other phones.

The camera is AWESOME. It's actually quite a bit better than the 810's, although that one isn't bad by any means either. Overall, I'm really loving using the 925. I had a scare in my family recently with my grandmother being very sick in the hospital and neither my mom nor I could get service in the hospital. But because I had the 925, I had Wi-Fi calling. That's very important to me, to be able to make calls and text on my phone when there's no service but there is Wi-Fi.

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I finally took a decision, bought the 925 on HSN just a few minutes back. $199 + some tax + $25 extended warranty
What was holding me back?
- lack of expandable memory (though HSN incorrectly states that)
- no sooner I buy it, Nokia / T-Mobile will declare it EOL :) (happens with me all the time, especially stock markets)

Why I bought it? --> my usage is more for phone and office used (documents, emails and such), podcasts, not much use it for games, photos and videos
- even though I have judt three games, some utility apps, some podcasts, no maps .. I don't have much space left on the 810. The 'other' is taking away about 2gb!
- I do want a notification center and since 810 will not get the 8.1 upgrade, I guess I can't have it.
- whereas I am not big into photos and videos, the photos on 810 aren't the best. Video is actually better than my pana digital camera.
- the price at HSN is good for a new phone and I hope baring damage or stolen, I can keep it for at least till Dec 2016.
- it has a professional look rather than the street sleek Nokia phones (though I do love the bright colors).
- regarding the extended HSN guarantee, someone on a different post had mentioned that it does not cover accidental damage, however when I read into the details, it does seem to cover. Now whether HSN will really honor it or not, I don't know that. But the way I decided to go with it was - $25 for 24 months ... ~$1/ month ...that is ok I guess for some kind of protection.

What am I going to do with the 810?

- keep it as a back up phone incase if 925 runs into issue
- give it to wife or mom
- load it with games, so that daughter can use it as a games console
- use it as a Bluetooth media player in my basement.
- looked at Craigslist, didn't see many ads but a few were selling for like $80 or so. Microsoft store was giving about $45. No point in trading it in.

[update]:

Last night called ATT and told them the plan I had with T-Mobile and asked them to give me a competitive one - for $45 more they had a plan that was slightly weaker than the T-Mobile plan ( in terms of data ) ... so that was also a key point to not move to ATT to just have the 1020. Also wasn't sure how the unlocked 1020 would work out in future with respect to upgrades. A friend of mine bought 920 unlocked from Amazon reseller and it went bad in 2 months - he gave it to his daughter for using it as a Zune!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Why are people not installing preview for developers to get WP8.1? I have the 810 and will do that as soon as MSFT releases it this coming week. BTW, I had the 920 (Rogers Pentaband LTE) and the T-Mobile 925 as well.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I know this is kind of late, but did you look at AIO Wireless? I don't use it (my cousin does) but it seems they allow AT&T-locked phones on their network, as they are a subsidiary of AT&T. For $40 a month, you would have gotten similar service to T-Mobile and a better choice of WP phones to use.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I know this is kind of late, but did you look at AIO Wireless? I don't use it (my cousin does) but it seems they allow AT&T-locked phones on their network, as they are a subsidiary of AT&T. For $40 a month, you would have gotten similar service to T-Mobile and a better choice of WP phones to use.

AIO data is throttled at 8Mbps, you do not get true HSPA+ or LTE with it. This information is buried within the fine print somewhere. I get 18Mbps on my 810 with the 4G signal on T-Mobile.

gabejw54

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
AIO data is throttled at 8Mbps, you do not get true HSPA+ or LTE with it. This information is buried within the fine print somewhere. I get 18Mbps on my 810 with the 4G signal on T-Mobile.

Yeah, I wanna stay with t mobile simply because of the prices. I guess I'm just getting impatient waiting on a flagship. I'm leaning towards waiting until the summer when the 930 and possibly other devices pop up and see how the WP 8.1 landscape is looking and then I'll either buy a 930, 1520 or something new that t mobile has by then.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
There are international sites where you can buy WP devices that have T-Mo compatible bands. Also once T-Mobile completes re-farming the bands, pretty much any ATT device unlocked will work without any issues.

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why are people not installing preview for developers to get WP8.1? I have the 810 and will do that as soon as MSFT releases it this coming week. BTW, I had the 920 (Rogers Pentaband LTE) and the T-Mobile 925 as well.

From another message reply that I got on this board that it wasn't possible. I registered for the developer and went through the steps outlined in a great thread on this topic. All it did was kind of (re) download Amber ... it doesn't even get me the Black update!

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
From another message reply that I got on this board that it wasn't possible. I registered for the developer and went through the steps outlined in a great thread on this topic. All it did was kind of (re) download Amber ... it doesn't even get me the Black update!

Well, WP8.1 is installing on the 810 right now.

suharsh

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, WP8.1 is installing on the 810 right now.

That is certainly interesting. The co-incidence is I asked this question following your post ... http://forums.windowscentral.com/preview-developers/271799-6.htm#post2438614
and that is how I concluded that 810 will not get the 8.1 update. After reading your post about 8.1 installing now ... I went ahead and used the phone update feature - it found an update and installed it ... but it was not 8.1. I think it was a higher build of the Amber release ... though at the end it did mention that your phone is ready for 8.1. Am in the process of downloading the same ....

Oh well ... I will let the 925 come and then decide if to keep it or return to HSN.

Christian Holmstedt

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
That is certainly interesting. The co-incidence is I asked this question following your post ... http://forums.windowscentral.com/preview-developers/271799-6.htm#post2438614
and that is how I concluded that 810 will not get the 8.1 update. After reading your post about 8.1 installing now ... I went ahead and used the phone update feature - it found an update and installed it ... but it was not 8.1. I think it was a higher build of the Amber release ... though at the end it did mention that your phone is ready for 8.1. Am in the process of downloading the same ....

Oh well ... I will let the 925 come and then decide if to keep it or return to HSN.

It's now been updated with WP8.1 and is running fine. It's not the BLACK update. My phone now have AMBER and WP8.1.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I just followed my step by step guide and created a new account and updated an HTC 8X to WP8.1 a few minutes ago. Today I updated both phones in the household:)

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
It's now been updated with WP8.1 and is running fine. It's not the BLACK update. My phone now have AMBER and WP8.1.

From what I understand, we will NEVER be getting Nokia firmware updates after Amber (Black, Cyan, whatever follows). That doesn't mean we won't get some of the same benefits by simply updating the affected apps, such as the Glance improvements from Black.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
From what I understand, we will NEVER be getting Nokia firmware updates after Amber (Black, Cyan, whatever follows). That doesn't mean we won't get some of the same benefits by simply updating the affected apps, such as the Glance improvements from Black.

Agreed, but we can still update the OS via Preview for Developers. Screw Nokia firmware, with individual app updates for the Nokia bits via SysApp pusher, we should be set :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo