No update found on a pre-Portico 810

Jason Hatton

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
So to get in on the Windows Phone 8.1 fun, I bought an 810 from eBay. The device works ok, but it has the stock factory firmware on it. It's pre-portico update, and phone update shows that its up to date even though its not.

I attempted to use Nokia Software Recovery Tool, Software Updater for Retail, and Nokia Care Suite to force an update, but all of them claim that there are no packages for my phone. Care Suite found the latest firmware, but claims the package is incomplete. Mrcrab.net has update file links for my model, but three files on Nokia's servers are dead links:

NWP8_WP8_T-Mobile_US_simlock_crcE30D.bin
11292702.pcx
040-112927_TYPE_LABEL_RM-878_TMob_v4.xml

I can't find these files mirrored anywhere. How screwed am I?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So to get in on the Windows Phone 8.1 fun, I bought an 810 from eBay. The device works ok, but it has the stock factory firmware on it. It's pre-portico update, and phone update shows that its up to date even though its not.

I attempted to use Nokia Software Recovery Tool, Software Updater for Retail, and Nokia Care Suite to force an update, but all of them claim that there are no packages for my phone. Care Suite found the latest firmware, but claims the package is incomplete. Mrcrab.net has update file links for my model, but three files on Nokia's servers are dead links:

NWP8_WP8_T-Mobile_US_simlock_crcE30D.bin
11292702.pcx
040-112927_TYPE_LABEL_RM-878_TMob_v4.xml

I can't find these files mirrored anywhere. How screwed am I?

Have you tried XDA, they might have mirrors on there. AFAIK without later updates installed updating to WP8.1 will probably be impossible, also remember that the 810 has now been discontinued by Nokia.

Jason Hatton

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
That's where I went to get some guidance on flashing the device, but all of their downloads rely on nokia's server for files. It's running stock firmware; shouldn't it be getting an OTA update of portico, then amber, etc.?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's where I went to get some guidance on flashing the device, but all of their downloads rely on nokia's server for files. It's running stock firmware; shouldn't it be getting an OTA update of portico, then amber, etc.?

That is a good point, are you sure it's pre-portico?

Jason Hatton

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
In case anyone cares or has this issue later, I found the reason for the lack of updates. It's a demo phone with a different product code than a retail Lumia 810. I hear that it can be updated with a standard retail ROM from a dead flash using Nokia Care Suite.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Try downloading the rom with product code 059Q1J2, that's the version the non retail rom has. Download it and then as you mentioned try to perform a dead flash. I guess you should be able to get to the Amber firmware after that. Now since Microsoft has halted the 8.1 release temporarily Amber would be your latest version for now. Don't worry once Microsoft resumes the developer preview release again you would be able to upgrade to update 3 and then later 8.1, the performance is great and so is the battery life, you would absolutely love it (I'm writing/swiping this currently from my 810 updated via the developer preview)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So when it says on my phone "an update is ready to download" -what will be the results, nothing ?
Well in that case the phone should be able to update. According to the blog post, Eli mentioned that phones that gave the first update already installed would be able to install the preview but those who start fresh from update 3 won't be able to

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Why wouldn't you want 8.1?
They ruined the music hub, removed FB from messaging and I hate having to see the status all the time, I really like the 8.0 Photo gallery,
I don't like what they've done with that, a black page with "Photos" instead of changing photos on my start screen...and no editing apps ?
I don't have games so over 3 GB of remaining storage is fine with me so I have no need for transferring apps to an SD card,
I have apps that I barley use so deleting those with give me at least .5 GB more

What am I missing ?

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
They ruined the music hub, removed FB from messaging and I hate having to see the status all the time, I really like the 8.0 Photo gallery,
I don't like what they've done with that, a black page with "Photos" instead of changing photos on my start screen...and no editing apps ?
I don't have games so over 3 GB of remaining storage is fine with me so I have no need for transferring apps to an SD card,
I have apps that I barley use so deleting those with give me at least .5 GB more

What am I missing ?

I'm sort of 50/50 with you on this. I'm kind of impressed with 8.1 on my 810 if for no other reason than the ability to move apps to the SD card. However, I agree completely about the music hub, plus there are other things that bother me, so I may just keep my 920 or 925 on WP8.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

What am I missing ?

Music Hub is getting an update that fixes issues with it, Facebook Messenger, seeing the status all the time is something I don't like either, the 8.1 photo gallery is better because it doesn't fart around with having to load a silly panorama each time, make you do several clicks to get to the photo you want and editing apps are accessed through the share option (not sure why they decided on doing it that way). Transferring apps to SD Card is entirely optional, don't need it then don't use it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
In case anyone cares or has this issue later, I found the reason for the lack of updates. It's a demo phone with a different product code than a retail Lumia 810. I hear that it can be updated with a standard retail ROM from a dead flash using Nokia Care Suite.

Did you manage to download the firmware and flash it to your 810?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Music Hub is getting an update that fixes issues with it, Facebook Messenger, seeing the status all the time is something I don't like either, the 8.1 photo gallery is better because it doesn't fart around with having to load a silly panorama each time, make you do several clicks to get to the photo you want and editing apps are accessed through the share option (not sure why they decided on doing it that way). Transferring apps to SD Card is entirely optional, don't need it then don't use it.

"Music Hub is getting an update that fixes issues" who are you kidding MS couldn't fix it in 8.0 ( they didn't even try) and you expect them to fix it in 8.1 ? LMAO
It took me months to have a usable Music hub without duplicates and 99 % of album art staying and not mysteriously disappearing in a day or a month and I'm not gonna spend a few more months trying to fix with the 8.1 mess, even after "an update" It's well known that MS doesn't give a rats arse about MUSIC integration but I do.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
"Music Hub is getting an update that fixes issues" who are you kidding MS couldn't fix it in 8.0 ( they didn't even try) and you expect them to fix it in 8.1 ? LMAO
It took me months to have a usable Music hub without duplicates and 99 % of album art staying and not mysteriously disappearing in a day or a month and I'm not gonna spend a few more months trying to fix with the 8.1 mess, even after "an update" It's well known that MS doesn't give a rats arse about MUSIC integration but I do.

My guess is that you aren't even using the developer preview so I wouldn't expect you to know this but the music hub is now a separate component so it can be updated independently, so yes, I do expect them to fix it.

Go search the news on the homepage and you'll see that Microsoft will indeed be releasing an update to fix issues.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720