Are we finally getting Wi-Fi calling from T-mobile??

skip029

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
h ttp://9to5mac.com/2014/09/10/t-mobile-unveils-expanded-wifi-calling-capabilities-personal-cellspot-router-partnership-with-gogo/

Enables every T-Mobile customer and smartphone to call and text over any Wi-Fi connection for seamless coverage where no carrier network reaches ? even at 30,000 feet.

This is the part that scares me though..... this language:

With Wi-Fi Un-leashed, T-Mobile announced that it?s lighting up Wi-Fi calling and texting for every Simple Choice customer on every new smartphone it sells. Now 100% of new smartphones in T-Mobile stores will be Wi-Fi calling and texting capable, and 100% of T-Mobile customers will be able to get a Wi-Fi calling and texting capable smartphone if they don?t already have one. To make it easier for customers to take advantage of these new capabilities, T-Mobile is opening an exclusive enrollment window in JUMP!, the Un-carrier?s revolutionary upgrade program, so customers can immediately upgrade to a new Wi-Fi calling ready smartphone.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
What language? It's clear we aren't getting crap from em. The 810 is not "new." In fact I doubt they even admits it ever existed. Face it. We own the crazy twin sibling that is locked in the shed, and fed occasional scraps from the app table. The 810's parents (TMO) totally "love" it and "support" it. Here's to hoping they offer better support on the new phones.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope, the 810 won't get it. If you go read the very, very fine print, it is for new phones only, from that announcement date forward.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
WFC has been a TMO exclusive since 2006.

I've been following this product announcement closely as my home has always been kind of fringy. Over at TMOnews it implies that it's a femtocell, although the word isn't used. But I've read through the announcement and the specs and I see nothing like that. At all. It sounds more like a router optimized for WFC............just as they did back when they introduced WFC, 'scuse me, Hotspot @ Home. Looking at mine as I type.

If it is a femtocell, it has been sorely needed for years as an option for phones w/o WFC. This is no longer rocket science, nor expensive. ATT had a 3G one for quite awhile, still selling well on eBay.

Also, if it is a femtocell, it is not WFC. It is ordinary PCS cellular service brought to your broadband.

Every carrier should be setting these up in as many places as they can. Should have been, all along. Hotels, public businesses in low signal pockets, my house. Cheapest way they can make and keep happy customers. I read where the major carrier in South Africa is throwing up "towers" on traffic light poles in Johannesburg as fast as they can.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I remember well when they called FREE WIFI Calling!
Nothing new just more crap! From TMO!

IT'S NEVER BEEN FREE! This is a zombie myth, and people like you keep it alive. In the early days of WFC, 2007, you could pay an extra $10/mo for unlimited WFC w/o charge to your base bucket of minutes. This was all before there were any unlimited plans.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
IT'S NEVER BEEN FREE! This is a zombie myth, and people like you keep it alive. In the early days of WFC, 2007, you could pay an extra $10/mo for unlimited WFC w/o charge to your base bucket of minutes. This was all before there were any unlimited plans.
You are correct!! Wi-Fi Calling (WFC) has always been linked to voice minutes. As you use WFC, your allotted minutes start ticking down (that is, if you have a cap on your voice minutes).

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As I have just discovered now with a 925. I found this thread this AM: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/277163-wifi-texting-lumia-925-a.html Apparently a known issue across the brand for many months. It's really, really hard to believe it hasn't been corrected! It's stuff like this that will turn people off from WP.

I bought a 925 so I would have WFC since TMO did not grace the 810 with it. And then I find out two things, 1) the reception is so much worse on TWO 925's I have that I NEED WFC that never was needed with my 810, and then 2) when I use it, text is essentially turned off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786