Anyone think they might buy an 820 over the 920?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Haha, you folks with small hands are going to miss out if the size and weight is your deciding factor. I got big man hands, 920 for me. Not really worried about battery issues. Haven't heard of many lumia battery issues to begin with. Colors.....cool, but I can get a case/skin for that. Then at the end of the day I want the top tech from any company I choose to buy from.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Haha, you folks with small hands are going to miss out if the size and weight is your deciding factor. I got big man hands, 920 for me. Not really worried about battery issues. Haven't heard of many lumia battery issues to begin with. Colors.....cool, but I can get a case/skin for that. Then at the end of the day I want the top tech from any company I choose to buy from.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

I currently have a phone with a 4.7" screen. I hold it fine. But I'm downgrading to 4.3 because I need the removable battery.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not thinking about the 820 over the 920, but is a very solid device. The screen technology and camera tech advantage on the 920 has me locked.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna go ahead and wait until they reveals the ridiculously high suggested price on the 920 before I decide. If it's totally unreasonable I'll go with the 820 which I assume will be more competitively priced than the 800 was when it was released, considering the 820 doesn't even have gorilla glass and such.

fraincs

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Update : No Gorilla glass, no HAAC audio recording, no pureview, I don't think I would go for the 820 finally I'd rather get a higher data package and stream music if needed than having more memory on board.

but maybe on a one year contract waiting until the Pureview WP8 phones get better MPx and HAAC stereo recording and not mono.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I was set on the 820... Lack of gorilla glass is a dealbreaker! On the 920 lack of removeable battery kills it. I will have to see what Verizon gets... I had been hoping for a Nokia!

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking the 920. PureView and an amazing screen. I have an HTC One X right now, so I'm use to and okay with a non-removable battery and no SD card (shoot, the 920 will have double the storage capacity, too). Personally, I think I'm all for the 920, but I may wait and see if Samsung and HTC can get anything out that wows me. If I recall, they're going to use the same chassis for their Windows phones as their flagships (Galaxy S III and One X chassis for Samsung and HTC respectively). I really want to see if they bring anything to the table like Nokia has with their suite of pre-installed apps.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
PureView > Removable Battery. Especially with wireless charging... Removable batteries become less needed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I plan to get this Lumia 820 :)

Can anyone confirm that this will run on the 800mhz and 2.6 ghz 4G network which is the spectrum to be auctioned in the UK for 4G services next year.

I don't want a device that will only be capable of running on EE'S (Orange/TMobile) 1800mhz 4G network.

I'm not pleased that this phone and the 920 will be exclusive to EE for a time but hopefully sim free models can be bought.

The what about the Ativ s what spectrum will that use.?

Thanks

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as I am aware the other operators will be using 2.6Ghz spectrum for 4G. That is part of the spectrum that OFCOM are auctioning off next year so the 820 will work..

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
By the time they get those networks up and running, this model will be EOL.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
By the time they get those networks up and running, this model will be EOL.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Yeah, you're probably right. I think they're aiming for a September 2013 switch on. I should then have no problems selling the 820 on if I upgrade to a newer model in the future.

The iPhone5 only currently working on the 1800mhz bandwidth will cause all sorts of problems when selling it on unless it's made clear to the buyer that it will not work on certain 4g bandwidths. Thankfully I don't have one of them.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I might go for an unlocked 820 because I am finishing off my ATT plan and intend on flocking over to the land of straight talk. After the fact my comfort level for an unlocked smartphone is $350 and anything over that feels severely overpriced to me. If it cost me $430 to build my gaming pc i would feel really terrible about paying more than that for a smartphone. Im really hoping the 820 is only $250 unlocked because the device really should not go over that with the wvga display and 1650 mah battery

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I love the size of my new Motorola Droid RAZR M as it fits in my pocket very well and is easy to use with just one hand. However, I'm not terribly happy with Android so I will be switching to WP8 as soon as it comes to Verizon. Seeing as how I don't watch movies on my phone or take many pictures, I may go with the 820 just to have the smaller device. I'll also be paying full retail so the cheaper price may play a large part in my decision.

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at the 820 over the 920 right now for the following reasons:

-replaceable covers (currently have the 710 and love this feature)
-lighter
-microSD card and replaceable battery
-probably more comfortable to hold
-most likley to come to T-mobile

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Yup.

At this point I'd be much more likely to replace my 900 with an 820.

The 920 is just too BIG. My 900 is borderline as it is. Even BIGGER and HEAVIER than my 900 makes it a deal breaker. :dry

The 820's swappable back panel and replaceable battery, upgradeable memory, and the possibility of a third party extended battery makes it seem a lot more practical. It also takes a little of the sting out of having to settle for no HD resolution or Gorilla Glass.

Best case scenario is that Nokia will release a new Lumia by the time I'm ready for an upgrade and it will offer the premium features like 720p resolution and Gorilla Glass etc, only not in a gigantic beast of a phone.

I plan on hanging onto my 900 until my upgrade at least in the hopes that Nokia will deliver.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
820 is very high on my list..

After HTC Showing what they have to offer and knowing that it will come to AT&T. The 820 is still very high on my list.

Price in USA have not be announced yet so waiting for that announcment that will make or break the getting the phone for me . Else it will be a HTC 8s if comes down to pricing.

I may just wait for Unlocked Unbranded Version and purchase one of those..Not sure if I want a locked down AT&T 820 to use on StraightTalk..Even thought ST plan does not support it internet sharing.

I would love to have internet sharing enabled on phone without having to need to purchase a contract from at&t or having to hack the phone the enable the feature's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077