Is the non HD amoled clear black good enough?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My TITAN uses VGA and I've never had a problem with it. I've seen my dad's ClearBlack on the Lumia 800 and it does look nice. So yeah, I reckon it will be good enough. Can't go into the details too much though as most of my experience is with the VGA HTC TITAN.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It is the same screen as on the Lumia 900 which got rave reviews. I went to my local AT&T store yesterday and played with the 900 and the screen was bright and gorgeous. I will take HD if they offered it on the 820 but I don't think I will be missing anything. I think the only thing missing on the 820 is Gorilla Glass. Everything else is on point.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Does not say on the specs. But it got to have at least Normal Gorilla Glass both 800 and 900 shipped with them.

Hopefully Gorilla Glass 2..

Was hoping the screen was 1280x720,but, it is only 800x400. The AMOLED with Clear Black still rocks..

speedfreak228

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am too worried about the screen not being good enough especially after using my s3. Buying the 820 might be my only Nokia option since Verizon seems to be getting it and not the 920. Wonder if the pixel difference will be noticeable whe, looking at pics and the start screen?

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Does not say on the specs. But it got to have at least Normal Gorilla Glass both 800 and 900 shipped with them.

Hopefully Gorilla Glass 2..

Was hoping the screen was 1280x720,but, it is only 800x400. The AMOLED with Clear Black still rocks..

I hope you are right about the Gorilla Glass but it is not advertised anywhere that it comes with Gorilla Glass. Even Corning's website updated the list of Nokia devices which have Gorilla to include the 920 but the 820 has not been added to the list. I've been begging on another thread for somebody from wpcentral to confirm but nobody has yet. I hope I'm wrong and that it is just an oversight on Nokia's part to adverise it but all indications so far are that it does not have Gorilla. Very disappointing since the 800 and even the 710 have Gorilla Glass. Regarding the display. It is a 4.3" 800x480 AMOLED Clearblack which is exactly what is on the 900 and as far as I'm concerned I am VERY happy with the display on the 900.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I found an article that says both will have gorilla glass 2 screens.

Nokia Lumia 920 & Lumia 820 Preview

Yeah I saw that and mentioned it on the other thread in the event forum but that is the only article I found. The questiin is who confirmed it? There is no documentation from neither Gorilla nor Nokia. You would think that Nokia would advertise it unless it was an oversight in marketing. I hope it does have Gorilla because I feel like that is the only thing missing from the 820. I wish I could find confirmation somewhere. I don't see how the 710 and 800 have Gorilla and not the 820 but somebody please verify this.

footysr

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has confirmed that there is NO gorilla on 820

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

As confirmed in another thread. We don't know that it won't be some off brand that's just as scratch resistant. Honestly, nothing a good screen protector won't fix. ;)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer AMOLED to IPS, one reason is the super deep blacks which look especially nice on the WP UI, another is the energy efficiency (black pixels are "off" using little or no energy)

But the lack of HD resolution is a serious let down.

One positive I guess is that neither the 920 or the 820 is tempting me to buy anything before my upgrade becomes available. :cool:

If Nokia makes a premium WP8 phone with HD resolution that's smaller and lighter than my Lumia 900, that will be my next phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon