Why are you guys calling the Lumia 820 "mid-grade"?

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know why people are calling the 820 "mid-grade". While the display found on the 820 is not HD, it is the same display found on the 900. Most people forget the screen on the lumia 900/820 is a Super AMOLED+ RGB stripe display (not a PenTile display found on regular Super AMOLED or HD AMOLED displays). RGB stripe displays have 50% more sub-pixels/pixel than PenTile displays (most AMOLEDs) resulting in a smoother picture. Add to that the Nokia exclusive Clearblack polarizing filter technology and you have yourself an amazing display which provides a great visual experience. In fact there is a youtube video that shows the Lumia 900's display beating both the iphone 4S and HTC One X (two of the best displays currently available) in a side by side test. The video is located here. For more info on the Clearblack technology click here. This display is not your ordinary Super AMOLED display.

I have to admit I was originally disappointed when I found out the 820 didn't have Gorilla Glass. However, after reading that it does have some type of scratch resistant glass I felt a little better. Regardless, nothing a good screen protector can't take care of. So the 820 doesn't have a purview camera but guess what....neither does any other OEM's "high end" device. The L820 still has an enhanced 8MP camera with Carl Ziess optics and dual LED flash.

Add to this unit super sensitive touch screen, NFC, interchangeable shells, wireless charging, 1.5 dual core krait S4 processor, 1GB RAM, removable battery, SD card support, Bluetooth 3.1, and I really don't see how this device is not considered a high end device without the HD resolution. Also consider that both HTC's flagship as well as Samsung's flagship WP8 phones do not have neither the wireless charging nor the super sensitive touch that the L820 has. Add to these technologies the Nokia exclusive apps and support and I can not view the Lumia 820 as "mid-grade". Let your wallet do the talking but on November 2nd my wallet is going towards the Lumia 820. A high end device at a mid-grade price.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Maybe, but when you can get an iPhone 4, which has a retina display, for free on contract, it's hard to say that the Lumia 820 is anything but mid-grade.

And the only display test that the iPhone 4S is beat by the Lumia's ClearBlack is in direct sunlight.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, but when you can get an iPhone 4, which has a retina display, for free on contract, it's hard to say that the Lumia 820 is anything but mid-grade.

And the only display test that the iPhone 4S is beat by the Lumia's ClearBlack is in direct sunlight.

The iphone 4S does not have 1GB RAM, removable battery, expandable memory,NFC, super sensitive touch, wireless charging, nor interchangeable shells. This iphone 4S is a low-grade phone compared to the Lumia 820. Also, you didn't see the video I linked. It was indoors not in direct sunlight.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The iphone 4S does not have 1GB RAM, removable battery, expandable memory,NFC, super sensitive touch, wireless charging, nor interchangeable shells. This iphone 4S is a low-grade phone compared to the Lumia 820. Also, you didn't see the video I linked. It was indoors not in direct sunlight.

Hmmm! you've done your homework on the phone, like I have. It's a nice phone, far from a mid-grade. You won't get any arguments from me. :cool:

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm! you've done your homework on the phone, like I have. It's a nice phone, far from a mid-grade. You won't get any arguments from me. :cool:

LOL! Thanks brother. Can't see how people compare this to the 8S. The 8S is mid-grade but the 820 is loaded except doesn't have 1280X720 resolution but everything else is there. I hope everybody else sees what we see.

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Seems pretty mid-grade really. It's definitely not a high end flagship phone, and obviously it's not low-end. I'd call the 8S a low-end phone, the 820 a mid-grade, the 8X a mid-high and the L920 and ATIV S high-end phones.

Also while the screen is RGB, its competitors are all either 800x480 Super AMOLED+ (RGB) or RGB LCDs or Pentile 1280x720 screens, which are better than RGB screens at 800x480.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Seems pretty mid-grade really. It's definitely not a high end flagship phone, and obviously it's not low-end. I'd call the 8S a low-end phone, the 820 a mid-grade, the 8X a mid-high and the L920 and ATIV S high-end phones.

Also while the screen is RGB, its competitors are all either 800x480 Super AMOLED+ (RGB) or RGB LCDs or Pentile 1280x720 screens, which are better than RGB screens at 800x480.

Most competing 800x480 AMOLED screens are PenTile although few use RGB stripe. My argument is that it is the best 800x480 display ever put on a phone. My argument also is that beside the 720p resolution there is nothing missing from the Lumia 820 that wouldn't allow it "high end" status. I disagree with you I can't view this phone as mid-grade.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Only true way to know is when we see them side by side that being the L820 and the 8x. then we will see which has the better screen res

oldgaius

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
It's not too helpful to think in terms of 3 distinct categories: high-, mid- and low-end. It goes down much further than that... possibly into a 5 (or more) category range. e.g. Think Nokia's positioning of the Lumia 900, Lumia 800, Lumia 710 and Lumia 610.

But I'd generally reserve the 'high-end' moniker for a company's flagship handset, which in the coming lineup would be the Lumia 920. Nokia is not going to have a number of their handsets fighting in the same space––and the Lumia 820 is clearly inferior to the 920––so you can make a clear deduction (if it wasn't already obvious!) that the 820 is not high-end. If it's not high-end, then what is it? It depends on your categorisations... if you use the trifecta then it's probably only a mid-range phone (with 7.8 handsets making up the entry). Better than some other mid-range phones perhaps, but bigging it up serves little purpose other than justifying your own purchase. It's a good phone... you don't need to convince anyone of its virtues.

I notice you're downplaying the significance of the low resolution. While it might work well for you, it doesn't translate as well into sales, especially for people who come from iPhone-like displays and people who like to hear bigger numbers. The 820 is hardly going to be pulling your iPhone audience because they're largely decided. But to what extent it is possible, that'll be for the 920 to try. The 820 will be fighting with comparable Android handsets and first-time buyers, where numbers can be very convincing... and most sales people don't have a clue about display technologies.

Edit: Just to make clear, I do understand the weakness of Pentile (it's not too bad on the Lumia 800, but it's the one thing I'd change). However I do think it's a losing battle trying to convince everyone the 820 is more than a mid-range (whatever that may be) phone.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP. L820 doesn't take a back seat to any of the other high end phones. It's right on par.

The problem is the HD screen. Thats all. Nothing else. Like the OP said, it's still a beautiful screen.

Don't get me wrong, if T-Mobile gets the 920, thats the phone I'll get, but people shouldn't be discouraged by getting the 820.

Especially that it has removable battery, colors and has up to 64gb SD card.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While it's definitely not a flagship type device due to the screen resolution, I'm still considering going with the 820 over the 920 if only for the smaller size. I really don't watch many videos on my phone so I'm not sure how much I'd miss the resolution of the 920's screen.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It's not too helpful to think in terms of 3 distinct categories: high-, mid- and low-end. It goes down much further than that... possibly into a 5 (or more) category range. e.g. Think Nokia's positioning of the Lumia 900, Lumia 800, Lumia 710 and Lumia 610.

But I'd generally reserve the 'high-end' moniker for a company's flagship handset, which in the coming lineup would be the Lumia 920. Nokia is not going to have a number of their handsets fighting in the same space??and the Lumia 820 is clearly inferior to the 920??so you can make a clear deduction (if it wasn't already obvious!) that the 820 is not high-end. If it's not high-end, then what is it? It depends on your categorisations... if you use the trifecta then it's probably only a mid-range phone (with 7.8 handsets making up the entry). Better than some other mid-range phones perhaps, but bigging it up serves little purpose other than justifying your own purchase. It's a good phone... you don't need to convince anyone of its virtues.

I notice you're downplaying the significance of the low resolution. While it might work well for you, it doesn't translate as well into sales, especially for people who come from iPhone-like displays and people who like to hear bigger numbers. The 820 is hardly going to be pulling your iPhone audience because they're largely decided. But to what extent it is possible, that'll be for the 920 to try. The 820 will be fighting with comparable Android handsets and first-time buyers, where numbers can be very convincing... and most sales people don't have a clue about display technologies.

Edit: Just to make clear, I do understand the weakness of Pentile (it's not too bad on the Lumia 800, but it's the one thing I'd change). However I do think it's a losing battle trying to convince everyone the 820 is more than a mid-range (whatever that may be) phone.

I'm not trying to justify my own purchase. I can afford to purchase anything I want but I CHOOSE to purchase a Lumia 820 over the 920 because I feel the 920 is too big and I like to upgrade storage and change colors. I don't want to be stuck with the same color for 2 years. Plus I choose the 820 because I like my phones to always look like mint condition so I like having the opportunity of changing the body should I damage it. Plus I don't need a DSLR quality camera in my "phone". I'm happy with a 8PM Carl Zeiss camera. I'm sorry but mid grade phones don't have 8MP cameras with Carl Zeiss lenses, NFC, wireless charging, 1GB RAM, 1.5 GHZ S4 processor, and super sensitive touch screen. Those are features reserved for high end phones. The only thing missing is 720p resolution.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
And anybody trying to compare the 820 to the 8S is smoking something LOL! The 820 compares to the 8X much more so than the 8S.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You know, there's really not much stopping them from implementing the software elements of PureView into the 820's camera with a software update later. It may not have the free-floating sensor or the HD display, but no reason they can't achieve other enhancements.

I'd still call it a mid-range phone because of the display, and I don't see why that's a bad thing. The classification is what will help keep the cost of the 820 around half the price of the 920, which means it will win over a lot of budget-conscious consumers, and they're getting a very high-quality device at a wallet-friendly price.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
It's only mid-grade next to it's big brother IMO. But all the fandroid spec whores are calling it low-end based on the screen res, onboard storage and the fact that the camera still has a FSI sensor, which is regarded as inferior due to its low-light performance compared to a BSI sensor.

Last edited:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It's only mid-grade next to it's big brother IMO. But all the fandroid spec whores are calling it low-end based on the screen res, onboard storage and the fact that the camera still has a FSI sensor, which is regarded as inferior due to its low-light performance compared to a BSI sensor.

fandroid spec whores...? Really, so I'm a fandroid spec whore... I have a TITAN... I am considering the 820 (provided the price is right). And yes, it is mid-grade. Because of its bigger brother yes, but mid-grade nonetheless. I also consider the 8X mid-grade, and 8S is low-grade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte