Verizon: Nokia Lumia 822 vs HTC 8X

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the 8X because of the much better design, beats audio (higher voltage headphone amp), and sharper display. I've reconsidered the 822 many times but that design just KILLS it... :confused:

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Same here going with the 8 X fits right in my hand the blue color is great saw it at at&t yesterday can't wait for Verizon to stock them in store, any one know when they are going to get them in I had a Verizon rep tell me a few weeks? Come on Verizon

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Same here going with the 8 X fits right in my hand the blue color is great saw it at at&t yesterday can't wait for Verizon to stock them in store, any one know when they are going to get them in I had a Verizon rep tell me a few weeks? Come on Verizon
Preorders are shipping now, store launch is the 18th, red 8X is Black Friday

And if you think the blue is sexy, wait until you see the red. So awesome.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I keep refreshing the screen to see when my pre-order gets a tracking number... I need my 822 tomorrow! #firstworldproblems

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I was all set to get the 8X but you guys are confusing me now. I don't really listen to a lot of music on my phone unless it's streaming, so neither the expandable storage nor beats audio matters much to me. Never had a Nokia so I don't know what I'm missing with Nokia apps, not too concerned about that. I definitely would like a high res screen, but some people are saying that the 822's screen actually looks better than the 8X. I'd like to see a camera comparison but I'm guessing it'd be close, maybe with the 8X having a slight edge.

One thing I don't understand is the battery life. VZW's website says both phones get about 15 hours of usage time. But there's a huge difference in standby time - 12.5 days for the 8X vs 20.25 days for the 822. Why would there be such a big difference in one but not the other? In real world usage, am I really going to notice the difference in standby time?

This is all very confusing to me :confused:. It'll probably come down to me just going to a store and handling the phones and seeing the screens for myself. I think that'll be the only way I can decide.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I was all set to get the 8X but you guys are confusing me now. I don't really listen to a lot of music on my phone unless it's streaming, so neither the expandable storage nor beats audio matters much to me. Never had a Nokia so I don't know what I'm missing with Nokia apps, not too concerned about that. I definitely would like a high res screen, but some people are saying that the 822's screen actually looks better than the 8X. I'd like to see a camera comparison but I'm guessing it'd be close, maybe with the 8X having a slight edge.

One thing I don't understand is the battery life. VZW's website says both phones get about 15 hours of usage time. But there's a huge difference in standby time - 12.5 days for the 8X vs 20.25 days for the 822. Why would there be such a big difference in one but not the other? In real world usage, am I really going to notice the difference in standby time?

This is all very confusing to me :confused:. It'll probably come down to me just going to a store and handling the phones and seeing the screens for myself. I think that'll be the only way I can decide.

I'm really leaning toward the 822, but I'm going to have to handle them in the store too. I don't think the 822 looks as good as the 810 and 820, but hopefully it looks better in person.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean they don't have grey? In store, available for preorder? I was eyeing grey too.

I don't know. It's through our corporate account. I'm a single point of contact on our account( SPOC), but they called another SPOC and said they don't have grey was black ok? So I told them yes.

Shadai

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
What pisses me off about the 8x which doesn't make it a slam dunk easy decision for me is that 16 GB of memory.

Really HTC? 16GB?

My trophy has 16 GB. What is this, 2005? What you just couldn't squeeze in another 16 in that frame? The guys that sold memory sold all the 16 GB chips to Nokia and Samsung?

Great screen, sexy design, fast, powerful, beats audio with the better jack to amp the music I'm playing.... And not even enough space to, you know, f-ing store music.

I have over 18 GB of music and was hoping these new phones would allow me to stop having to carry my Zune. Instead HTC does me no favors. I mean, BEATS Audio, that thing that makes music sound better? Yeah but you can't store it here.

Hey HTC, you could have tossed in an expandable memory card slot. You'd have made customers happy and not have to pay more per phone from rising memory costs.

F-ing honestly HTC. This is supposed to be the top of the line flagship phone. Freaking act like it.

The fact I even have to debate between these two phones is a fail on two levels. One by HTC for stupidity in being so short sighted, and one by Verizon for being flaming idiots and not bringing the 920 to the "best 4G network".

The 920 may sink a ship or collapse a bridge if you have it on you when on either, but at least it has enough space to store my music.

Unicron109

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I would say that if you are in the market for a lumia device and can deal with leaving Verizon then 920 on ATT is the way to go. It offers so much more than the 822 and at the same price point. To that point if you are stuck I concede there are some valid points to get the 822 though I feel either way you can't go wrong.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I would say that if you are in the market for a lumia device and can deal with leaving Verizon then 920 on ATT is the way to go. It offers so much more than the 822 and at the same price point. To that point if you are stuck I concede there are some valid points to get the 822 though I feel either way you can't go wrong.

No way am I leaving Verizon for att. I get reception all the time when people with att cannot. The 822 is good enough.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Well I'd say a knock against getting the 8X is also now that HTC's new Droid DNA, a 5 inch, 1080p phone is going for $199 on contract. How in the world can Verizon and HTC charge the same price for this and the 8X? Maybe this won't matter to those who are already sold on the 8X but to me it's a new negative I didn't anticipate. Means that even if I fall in love with it in person and want it over the 822 that I plan to get at the moment, I probably won't get it at the current price.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I'd say a knock against getting the 8X is also now that HTC's new Droid DNA, a 5 inch, 1080p phone is going for $199 on contract. How in the world can Verizon and HTC charge the same price for this and the 8X? Maybe this won't matter to those who are already sold on the 8X but to me it's a new negative I didn't anticipate. Means that even if I fall in love with it in person and want it over the 822 that I plan to get at the moment, I probably won't get it at the current price.
Verizon is obviously much more comfortable subsidizing an Android phone that heavily rather than a WP8. I wouldn't feel too threatened by the DNA though. I think the true intention is to undercut the Note II, rather than stifle the 8X.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess the 8X/822 argument comes down to better design or Nokia apps. I think the 8X is a nicer looking phone from the pictures I've seen. In pictures the 820 and 810 look better than the 822 also. I can't wait until these phones hit the stores so I can make up my mind.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
i guess the 8x/822 argument comes down to better design or nokia apps. I think the 8x is a nicer looking phone from the pictures i've seen. In pictures the 820 and 810 look better than the 822 also. I can't wait until these phones hit the stores so i can make up my mind.

+1

himurastewie

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the 822..

I guess I'm one of the oddballs in that I actually like the design of the 822 over the 8X. Not sure why, exactly, but the 8X(at least in photos) looks kind of oddly tall and thin and I'm not sure I'm entirely a fan of the smooth unibody type design.

As for specs and other things, for me, it's a no-contest. At $99 for a device bordering on (at least for VZW) flagship status I'm just not seeing the extra $100 of value in the 8X. The 822 has expandable storage, removable battery, hypersensitive display (leave it to the Finns to design a smartphone that can be used with gloves. Necessity really is the mother of invention after all.), and otherwise the same CPU/GPU, memory, and internal storage as the 8X. As has been said before in this thread, all I'm getting from the 8X is a higher resolution display, and the addition of Beats, and if it's anything like the THX sound processor in my laptop, it's a negligible bonus and just another flashy logo to stamp on the device. Is the 8X a higher quality device in less concrete terms(build quality, materials, construction method)? Possibly but having held neither I can't make that determination.

Some others had brought up a valid point too, regarding the upcoming DNA. Yes, it's an entirely different ecosystem, but let's be honest for a moment; Android is vastly more recognizable than WP, and the spec sheet on the DNA blows any WP device out of the water. Granted, the GNote2 does the same (and was my original choice before I cancelled my order and picked up an 822). That said, it's not all about specs, but if I were a know-nothing consumer out to grab a phone either for myself or as a gift, for the same price the DNA is the natural choice. 5" is big, but not close to the 5.55" of the Note2, but dramatically larger than the 4.3" on the 8X and at 440some PPI, the clarity on the DNA will outshine the 8X as well.

I think it comes down to Verizon's oft-speculated on feelings about Windows Phone. Verizon cut their smartphone teeth with Android and I get the feeling that they're loathe to overly promote another platform over it (especially considering the abject failure that was Kin), not to mention they must be heavily invested with manufacturers to get them to keep bringing VZW-specific Droid devices to market.

In the end, though, hopefully we(consumers) prove VZW wrong on this one and help to make WP8 a success, but I can't say I'm holding my breath. I didn't use WP7, but I'm going to give this new version a shot. If Microsoft plays their cards right, is fast and consistent about updates and bug fixes, and if they don't play from Apple's deck and lock down the platform tighter than Fort Knox then I think they've got a good shot at being a real third player. I'm getting tired of the Samsung v Apple patent slap-fight and am happy to not be a part of it.

BigCTM

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Well said...I keep thinking I am crazy for getting the 822 over the DNA! It's not all about specs though as you said.

I guess I'm one of the oddballs in that I actually like the design of the 822 over the 8X. Not sure why, exactly, but the 8X(at least in photos) looks kind of oddly tall and thin and I'm not sure I'm entirely a fan of the smooth unibody type design.

As for specs and other things, for me, it's a no-contest. At $99 for a device bordering on (at least for VZW) flagship status I'm just not seeing the extra $100 of value in the 8X. The 822 has expandable storage, removable battery, hypersensitive display (leave it to the Finns to design a smartphone that can be used with gloves. Necessity really is the mother of invention after all.), and otherwise the same CPU/GPU, memory, and internal storage as the 8X. As has been said before in this thread, all I'm getting from the 8X is a higher resolution display, and the addition of Beats, and if it's anything like the THX sound processor in my laptop, it's a negligible bonus and just another flashy logo to stamp on the device. Is the 8X a higher quality device in less concrete terms(build quality, materials, construction method)? Possibly but having held neither I can't make that determination.

Some others had brought up a valid point too, regarding the upcoming DNA. Yes, it's an entirely different ecosystem, but let's be honest for a moment; Android is vastly more recognizable than WP, and the spec sheet on the DNA blows any WP device out of the water. Granted, the GNote2 does the same (and was my original choice before I cancelled my order and picked up an 822). That said, it's not all about specs, but if I were a know-nothing consumer out to grab a phone either for myself or as a gift, for the same price the DNA is the natural choice. 5" is big, but not close to the 5.55" of the Note2, but dramatically larger than the 4.3" on the 8X and at 440some PPI, the clarity on the DNA will outshine the 8X as well.

I think it comes down to Verizon's oft-speculated on feelings about Windows Phone. Verizon cut their smartphone teeth with Android and I get the feeling that they're loathe to overly promote another platform over it (especially considering the abject failure that was Kin), not to mention they must be heavily invested with manufacturers to get them to keep bringing VZW-specific Droid devices to market.

In the end, though, hopefully we(consumers) prove VZW wrong on this one and help to make WP8 a success, but I can't say I'm holding my breath. I didn't use WP7, but I'm going to give this new version a shot. If Microsoft plays their cards right, is fast and consistent about updates and bug fixes, and if they don't play from Apple's deck and lock down the platform tighter than Fort Knox then I think they've got a good shot at being a real third player. I'm getting tired of the Samsung v Apple patent slap-fight and am happy to not be a part of it.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I am worried about the low res screen. Has anyone seen one in person to comment?

I haven't seen the 822, but I got to see and handle the 820 on Monday. Believe me, the screen did not look low res at ALL, and I'm coming from an iPhone 4. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the screen if they were to go with the 822. :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo