822 Initial Thoughts

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to give some initial thoughts of the Nokia 822. I've had it for several hours now.

Build: It's really seems like a solidly built device. Doesn't really feel cheap at all. I'm coming from a GS3 and it feels more solid then that. Signal seems better then my GS3 was, but that doesn't surprise me.

One thing bugs me and it is the button placement. On the GS3 the volume rocker is on the left and the power is on the right. On the 822 the Volume, power and camera are all on the right side. The volume is at the top and is where the power is on the GS3 so I keep reaching for the power and am hitting the volume. Very annoying but I imagine it will take a few days for my muscle memory to update.

Screen: Screen is good, it doesn't bother me that it is not 720p. Seems bright and clear.

Camera: Camera seems fine. Have just taken a few shots. Better then the GS3? Too soon to tell.

Software: I've used a little bit of Nokia Drive. Once you launch it, you have to go to the market to download the lastest beta. I used it to go about 2 miles and it did a good job. :) GPS seems to always know where I'm at... I've had trouble with that on other devices.

So far so good. I think it will be a pretty sweet device.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the mini-review, I should have my 822 tomorrow.

The button placement on Nokia's is always something to get used to. I really don't like all the buttons on one side but it's kine of Nokia's M.O. I had a GS3 at one point too, well crafted phone and all that but android = fail.

Glad to hear the camera is at least ok. That's all I ever want in a cell-phone. I don't need this amazing camera on my phone. Have you tried video? It's supposed to be 1080p so I am interested in how that looks when on a TV or computer monitor.

How's the speaker sound and call quality?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Call quality seems pretty good. Better then my Sammy. Speaker is good too.

I had a weird thing with the storage on the device. I just set it up and put a few email accounts on there and didn't install any app except Facebook and the Drive Beta.

I checked the storage at one point and it said I only had 9GB left. It lists a few areas where the storage is being used and the category 'other' said 2GB. I don't know what other is, but for the heck of it, i just did a hard reset and now after doing the same email/facebook setup that 'Other' is not that big and I have 12GB free.

Can't explain that one.

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I tend to always do a factory reset after the initial set-up of a phone. It's something I did back when I was an android fan. It would sometimes even remove a frew pre-installed apps.

Even straight from the factory most phones don't come out of the box as a "true" factory default. There's always little things that sneak in on a first-ever boot.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The button placement on Nokia's is always something to get used to. I really don't like all the buttons on one side but it's kine of Nokia's M.O. I had a GS3 at one point too, well crafted phone and all that but android = fail.

I'm looking forward to at least having the power button the side. The Trophy has it on the top and when I hold my phone, almost always with my left hand, reaching the power button with your thumb is a hassle compared to reaching it with my fingers on the side.

It seems to make sense. Just holding my phone now, I have 4 fingers on the right side of the phone, ready to press buttons. I have my thumb on the left side, and while it can access the volume rocker easily, the thumb feels better as support rather than pressing buttons.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Sort of makes sense to do a hard reset before doing much at all with any phone doesn't it? I never use to but then again, I was using Android and I normally had to do a hard reset every two months or so anyway.

My "Grey" is in Fed Ex's hands and will be here tomorrow by 7 PM. Wish it was 7 AM. LOL

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, after you guys set up your phone initially check out the storage information before you hard reset.. I'm curious.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Alright just got it!!!!

First time set up - 5.05GB used, 9.79GB free. About to reset...

WOW! After the reset - 2.39GB used, 12.45GB free. I think we need to let people know about this, I will make a post in the OS discussion.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I went to my Verizon store today will a full intention of getting the 8X, it hadn't come in yet so I played around with an 822.

WOW, it is much better than I expected and doesn't have that cheap label on it like it did online. I am seriously considering going with the 822 now instead of the 8X. Anybody else have this happen or have anything to add to help out about the 822?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I went to my Verizon store today will a full intention of getting the 8X, it hadn't come in yet so I played around with an 822.

WOW, it is much better than I expected and doesn't have that cheap label on it like it did online. I am seriously considering going with the 822 now instead of the 8X. Anybody else have this happen or have anything to add to help out about the 822?

It's a fine device. VERY solid, fast... Really the only difference between it and the 8X is the screen resolution and the obvious form factor / screen type. Plus with the L822 you get expandable storage! They have the same processor and RAM.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I was at my store when it opened this morning. I got a white 822. It definitely looks much nicer in person. The 8X hadn't arrived yet, so I wasn't able to compare phones.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

to81mn514

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

This is exactly what happened to me this morning, went to the verizon store and they didn't have the 8x so I started playing around with the 822. Needless to say I left with one and have been playing around on it all day. Very impressed!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Wait, so i have to factory reset my phone to get more storage space? Ugh, i just downloaded a ton of apps and music :mad:

Maybe.... unless we can find what that extra 2-3GB is... and then remove it.... I wonder if it is like an OS update that they applied to the phone and it is just sitting there in storage and a reset nukes it?

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally content with my 822 so far. The screen on this phone seems more than up to my needs at this point and I like the fact that it's a little wider as it makes web browsing a little easier as there is less scrolling involved. As long as the battery life ends up being good enough, I can't see myself switching phones for a while.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm totally content with my 822 so far. The screen on this phone seems more than up to my needs at this point and I like the fact that it's a little wider as it makes web browsing a little easier as there is less scrolling involved. As long as the battery life ends up being good enough, I can't see myself switching phones for a while.

And maybe if the battery isn't the best, you can remove it and get a bigger one... removable batteries rule! :)

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I played around with the 822 this morning as well. I will say that I came away quite impressed with it. I originally loathed the design of it when it was first leaked. It looked chunky and ungainly. However, as time passed and better images of the device were uncovered I grew more accepting of the 822. Now that I have physically inspected and handled it, I actually really like the looks of it and find the form factor very pleasant. I will be buying 3 of them tomorrow online to take advantage of the instant rebate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05