UK Consumers: 820 over 920

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Calling all UK Consumers,

Just out of interest, is there anyone else out there that has chosen the NOKIA Lumia 820 over the 920 due to the suicidal 'Exclusivity Period' with the EE Group?

If so:

a) SIM Free or Contract 820?
b) Swapping to 920 once it goes General Availability?

For me:
a) = SIM Free 820
b) = Yes

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You can pick a Lumia 920 up unlocked if you have the funds to do so, but to answer your question:

I was tempted to go for the Lumia 820, but I skipped the 900 so wished for a slightly larger screen, the polycarbonate casing and the camera innovation. As for SIM-free or not, are you currently happy with your provider? You can always get the Lumia 920 when it becomes available on other networks (should you not be with Orange / T-Mobile), but we're unsure just how long the exclusivity period will last (beyond the holiday season is our assumption).

It's down to personal preference, but I agree with your conclusion.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You can pick a Lumia 920 up unlocked if you have the funds to do so, but to answer your question:

I was tempted to go for the Lumia 820, but I skipped the 900 so wished for a slightly larger screen, the polycarbonate casing and the camera innovation. As for SIM-free or not, are you currently happy with your provider? You can always get the Lumia 920 when it becomes available on other networks (should you not be with Orange / T-Mobile), but we're unsure just how long the exclusivity period will last (beyond the holiday season is our assumption).

It's down to personal preference, but I agree with your conclusion.
3 Mobile provides me with such an exceptional service for the price I pay that sadly I would have to stay with them, although being a Virgin Media customer with Broadband I would be very tempted to go for Virgin Mobile, as their Premier 08 Price Plan allows for 500 08xx calls for only ?5/Month extra than what I currently pay now with 3 Mobile, but if it didn't include Tethering then I'd have to re-consider.

I sincerely hope NOKIA terminates the 'Exclusivity Period' at the end of the year, as they are currently telling over 56.5 Million non-EE Group subscribers that they're not Exclusive enough to own a 920, when I would of thought trying to sell as many 920s as quickly as possible would of been the priority.

EE is too new and too expensive, Orange and me don't exactly have a great Business Relationship History and T-Mobile doesn't allow Tethering on its top-range Price Plan.

Never mind, my 820 will keep me as patient as a saint until the 920 is available to the non-Exclusive (just a shame they can't see that the majority of other people will simply get the Windows Phone 8X by HTC).

Oh NOKIA, why do you never learn? :-/

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you (on Three with Virgin home account), I have no idea why Nokia decided to exclusively launch the Lumia 920 with EE. Sure, Ofcom showed how useless they are by allowing a single company to rip through competition and offer a brand new service at ridiculous pricing, but we've never been such folk to sit back and allow exclusivity deals to be made with carriers. It just doesn't work, and as you rightfully pointed out, EE has a minute user base compared to other networks combined. It would surely make more sense for Nokia to get the handset into as many hands as possible.

I managed to get the Lumia 920 before they sold out at Clove, and unfortunate for us both, Three looks to be with HTC for now (I'll be getting the 8X when my contract renews early next year). But the Lumia 820 is a decent enough Windows Phone, right?

Mikeyglw

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am a happy 820 Owner :) tried to get a 920 from EE but too much hassle and shocking customer service so cancelled and bought the 820.

Answer to your Questions:

a) Bought it for ?359 from P4U Sim Free - also on Three (One Plan)
b) will be getting a 920 once they are available to everyone.

Still not happy that nokia choose EE for exclusivity, but like you the 820 should keep me happy till then :)

Calling all UK Consumers,

Just out of interest, is there anyone else out there that has chosen the NOKIA Lumia 820 over the 920 due to the suicidal 'Exclusivity Period' with the EE Group?

If so:

a) SIM Free or Contract 820?
b) Swapping to 920 once it goes General Availability?

For me:
a) = SIM Free 820
b) = Yes

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
(I'll be getting the 8X when my contract renews early next year). But the Lumia 820 is a decent enough Windows Phone, right?
You see that's what NOKIA doesn't realise it's done, people have been holding on for the 920 to be released on their network, and now that they're unable to get it, they're just simply going for the next best thing available to them, the Windows Phone 8X by HTC.

I absolutely love my 820, it has about 90% of the features found on the 920, including Super Sensitive Touch and (most importantly) Windows Phone 8.

It does make me wonder why the 820 is only available on Contract with so little UK Operators:

EE: Currently has a 21 day delivery estimate (!)
o2: Main web site on both Pay Monthly and Pay As You Go
Vodafone: You have to go through someone like Carphone Warehouse as Vodafone itself doesn't show the phone

I am so disappointed at NOKIA, they seem to want to half fail and yet half expected that hardly anyone was going to buy them anyway...well if you think along those lines then why continue to bother trading?!

As I've said from the outset, I am in a very fortunate position whereby I can afford to buy the 820 SIM Free to simply wait for the 920 to go General Availability and then purchase that SIM Free in lieu of selling the 820 onto another prospective owner.

Never mind, Microsoft will show NOKIA how it should of been done next year when they release (what I dub) the "Microsoft Windows Phone Surface 8"!

Once I've purchased the 920 early next year it 'could' be the very last time I purchase a NOKIA product, because they've killed themselves in the UK Market :-/

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I ended up purchasing an unlocked white 920 from clove, i thought it had a faulty camera but turns out it was a software glitch which has none gone. In the mean time i purchased the last 920 clove had to replace my now non faulty handset.. So the new handset arrived yesterday.. So i now have one unlocked handset spare...

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am a happy 820 Owner :) tried to get a 920 from EE but too much hassle and shocking customer service so cancelled and bought the 820.

Answer to your Questions:

a) Bought it for ?359 from P4U Sim Free - also on Three (One Plan)
b) will be getting a 920 once they are available to everyone.

Still not happy that nokia choose EE for exclusivity, but like you the 820 should keep me happy till then :)
Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only NOKIA Junkie out there amongst the pigeons :-D

Colin Perkins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I ordered an 820 yesterday from Phones4u, orders been processed and im awaiting an email saying its being dispatched....not 100% sure if they have stock the site isn't very clear...looking forward to getting it.

For me I went for the 820 for 2 reasons...size and price....the 920 is too big and I didn't want to pay 40+ pound a month on a contract.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I wanted the 920 but I refused to pay the contract prices so opted for the 820. Really happy with it too
Were you surprised with the size of the screen, even though it's officially (and supposedly) 800 x 480?!

Basically the 820 is a WP8 version of the 900, which is superb as I always wondered what the 900 was like to own after trying an 800!!

I simply cannot wait for NOKIA to release the 920 for SIM Free purchasing...Unlocked that is!

craigy18181

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You know I think the screen is great. I was a little concerned by it spec wise until I started using it. Size wise it is the same as my old HTC but I like the size.

I personally think phones like the galaxy s3 are far too big. Would I have liked the 920? Yes. Am I disappointed I ended up with the 820? No.

I think that is partly down to how well windows phone 8 works.

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, new member to this site and windows phone.

I bought the 820 off contract after selling my galaxy s3 and i will wait and get the 920 if it comes to other networks in the next couple of months.

I wanted the 920 and have been waiting ages to jump into windows phone. Well when i found out it was on ee i was really unhappy.

Me and my brother both bought a windows phone the same day. Both wanted the 920. He got the 8x, i very nearly did but ended up with the 820 after comparing the two in phones 4 u i was astonished to see that the screen was much better than the specs would have you believe. Comparing side by side its hard to choose. Resolution isnt everything, just looking at the pictures installed by default made it very hard to choose. Its brighter, very bright. I had the galaxy s2 and then the galaxy s3 and whites always looked grey but not on this. Its the best amoled i have seen. I miss the resolution after been on the galaxy s3 but i just liked the size, the design, the rock solid feel and actually the weight. A lot of reviews, in fact most have said this to be a negative but they are wrong. After having the last two flagship galaxys i can honestly say thinner and lighter have some drawbacks too, death grip is a very real issue on both these phones.

The only big negative i have so far is battery has been horrible in comparison to either of the galaxys, im hoping this will be solved with some updates soon.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh no it's fantastic news that you stuck with NOKIA and got the Lumia 820, there's a ton of people out there buying the Windows Phone 8X by HTC instead of opting for the NOKIA Lumia 820 - however, I wouldn't mind seeing an 8X in action just to see how it compares to the 820!

Windows Phone 8 still has some ways to go with Notifications from Social Media for example, I really miss Android for the fact that I knew straight away about Notifications on FB Twitter and etc, whereas with Windows Phone there is a delay unless you go with SMS Notifications (which I do with Twitter).

Microsoft need to get more Manufacturers involved with Windows Phone to get it to take off more, as once it starts gaining Market Share then things will improve greatly for it, in fact I remember reading a couple of Analysts saying that 10% Market Share is their opinion when Windows Phone would have the potential to take off - let's hope so :)

dtiapril

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was really disappointed about the exclusivity of both network and colours. I have always been with O2 and therefore made the decision to stick with them and get the Ativ S, but because of the lack of release date information and O2 tariff prices suddenly rocketing I spontaneously made the decision to walk into Phones4U and now have a yellow Lumia 920 on Orange.

Best decision I ever made, don't settle for less :)

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've just ordered the 820 after pre-ordering a 920 from Germany and cancelling; the only reason I'd change to the 920 is if I'm totally disappointed the 820 camera. After my experiences with the Titan I didn't even consider the HTC phones; I'm tired of having such bad reception and service from HTC.
Like most I find the release from Nokia to be slightly bizarre; I can't understand why they wouldn't sell SIM free phones in an open manner.
Even my 820 order isn't running perfectly, ordered on Friday and expecting the next delivery it is just sitting in a warehouse (carphone warehouse) even though it was ordered in plenty of time to be sent out - I'm more used to ordering from Amazon who understand what next day delivery means.

Etzl

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the 920 but when I saw the Tesco deal it was a no brainer, free phone/plate on Panther 20.50 with ?60 Quidco. EE needed to sell a 3G 920 at a cheaper price, what point is there in paying a premium for 4G when your area wont see it for months if not years, the 920 was unfortunately sacrificed as an EE marketing tool...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster