Please convince me - Lumia 820 Now over ativ s later

anon(5329672)

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yo, huge dilemma. Please help.
When wp8 devices started to be revealed I sorted through the new devices presented. Subsequently I started eliminating unacceptable devices.

• 920 - Nah I want more memory than I already have
  • htc 8x & htc 8s - prematurely eliminated on looks alone. (although seeing 8s in person and holding it gave way better impression)
  • 820 - good but I feel I have something better in mind
  • Samsung Ativ S - Booyah! There you go. Decision made

Now just wait til att starts pre-orders. Buuuuuuuut this might take awhile. So I start checking out the already available 820 (specs below), And I'm like "Okay, I'm being swayed." Out of all the things I was looking for its missing one thing. More memory than my Focus+sd card. To tell you the truth though I can live with out the memory. I just want it, BAD.

So you wanna help me out. Convince me for or against this device so I can live in bliss now with no regrets, get 820, or wait for a better option, get ativ s.

nokia-lumia-specs.png
(Pic altered from - http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadgets/nokia-lumia-specs.png)

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Here are a few reasons. :)

Nokia phones typically have better reception.

Exclusive apps from Nokia and other developers.

And better chance of getting updates & upgrades.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you can get the Nokia Lumia 820, get it. Unfortunately, I cannot get the Lumia 820 on my carrier (Three)... So I'm going to HAVE to wait for the Ativ S... But I would have preferred the Lumia.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
True. Thats probably my fav point made so far. I see you have the 820 as a device. let me ask u, does it feel cheap to u and have u used a 64gb microsd, and whathas been your general experience so far?

The 820 does not feel cheap at all. I can't tell it has a back cover it's so solid. And the back cover is so hard to get off for someone like me without finger nails. I have a 64GB card on the way, but my 32GB card filled with mp3s has worked perfectly. And so far I am loving this phone, It feels like a very refined 900. Apps load much quicker, with a slight improvement in OS speed. :)

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
The 820 does not feel cheap at all. I can't tell it has a back cover it's so solid. And the back cover is so hard to get off for someone like me without finger nails. I have a 64GB card on the way, but my 32GB card filled with mp3s has worked perfectly. And so far I am loving this phone, It feels like a very refined 900. Apps load much quicker, with a slight improvement in OS speed. :)

I do believe that phone only supports up to 32GB on an SD card, at least the version I got in Germany does.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
32GB is enough for me. I may return the phone. The bugs/freezing etc is off the chain. My 800 had ZERO issuers and the 820 has endless issues.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
As others have stated the Sammy device may be hard to get a hold of in the US. Given they are in no hurry to get that device to market Sammy may be loosing interest in WP. That is no reason not to get a ATIV S however. Its a powerhouse device for sure.

I would have to recommend getting the 820. Though I hear ppl are having issue with the SD cards in the 82x devices you can count on the issue being fixed by Nokia. Should the Sammy device have a similar issue it may, or may not get fixed.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As the OP has a;ready said he would get the 820, at this point I feel as though I am just piling on. But as a Samsung Focus S user, I was truly torn. I loved the way the ATIV looked, love my Focus S, and wanted to see all WP manufacturers do well. I was very sold on the ATIV S, and was excited.

But, all the support Nokia has given it's WP 7 Lumia line got my attention. The way they are building not just a device but an ecosystem- their own apps and games as well as their tools and mapping. They way they handled all the updates and firmware to their 900 when it had problems. Heck, they are still supporting and updating their Symbian devices, even if it is through a third party. It is still on Nokia's dime and at their direction.

They swayed me. There is very little reason to not get a Nokia. Like I said, this is from a Samsung fan. I would trust a Samsung device to work from day one out of the box on. But Nokia is just serious about their WP 8 efforts. They NEED this to work- not want. They HAVE to have it work. They will support it.

I am no hurry to get a new device. But when I do- it will be a Nokia. It is no longer even a decision for me.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I would like to point out that OS updates are being handled directly by Microsoft now, not the carriers or OEMs.

Agreed, but as an IT pro, I can tell you that firmware support is just as important as OS updates. The two go hand in hand, so if firmware support is missing from the OEM, then this may delay / cause reliability issues with updates. It's still an issue in my opinion.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Those who want an Ativ haven't held a phone that big. It's like holding a tablet to your head. I saw a guy on the street with a phone that size, just wow.

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung? Seriously?
I'd take nokia over samsung everytime -> their top notch phones might be good, but only those. They do not put much effort into wp phones right now so I wouldnt be surprised if it had crap quality like low and medium price range phones of ****sung.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss