The Carphone Warehouse & Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Offer

nsp24

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Someone has called my daughter today and given her the code!

One of the carphone warehouse forum staff who was trying very hard to help me get this issue sorted posted the following on the forum today.

"Hi Nick, did you have any luck? If you call our customer service on 0870 111 6565 from today, they should have unique codes. It seems a few handsets were shipped out without stickers, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused."

We did not get time to ring this number but it might be worth a try if you are also needing the code.

Now there is up to 28 days wait for the software.

Sydenham

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone on here lucky enough to have the unique CWH Win8 free upgrade code, like to share with us the format? Length, characters?.? Nice.

nidO#WN

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat as the rest of you (no sticker on my box) and managed to get it sorted yesterday - I went through to their customer service department, spent a few minutes on the phone to some guy there who tried to fob me off that not having a sticker meant I must not be eligible, and that the offer only started on the 23rd (as the terms mention the offer's open from the 23rd) with me having bought my phone on the 19th, and I had to explain to him that no, thats when the ability to redeem the codes were made available but that all 820's are eligible.
After not taking no for an answer he went and queried it with their "Fanatical Support" team and I ended up getting put through to them who explained that, yes, sorry, of course i'm eligible and that they know about the problem, supposedly they have a dedicated team they've setup to call all affected 820 owners (presumably they know which batches are missing stickers), he said there're about 100 phones affected but I imagine he must be missing at least a couple of zeroes from that.
Anyway, he said he'd pass my case over to that team and they'd get back to me, they called me back yesterday evening (about 4 hours after my call to CPW) and gave me the code needed over the phone.

Sydenham: The code is 8 digits long (this is the also the number of spaces provided in the redemption form so presumably theyre all this length), in my case its 3 letters, 1 number, then 4 letters but your mileage may vary.

For anyone still having problems getting their code, i'd suggest calling customer services and ask the operator specifically to check the issue with their "Fanatical Support" team, who at least seem to be aware of the issue and what's needed to resolve it.

sarah3585

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I finally got my code too. I had a missed call from them today, phoned them back and luckly the information was on my account, so he was easily able to give me the code rather than having me explain the whole thing and getting a random answer back.

Anyone still waiting, make sure they know you are missing one and you should eventually get one. Just don't give up and let anyone tell you you're not eligible for it.

Very happy now, just have to wait for it to actually arrive! No confirmation email as yet from the upgrade site (do you get one?)
The (up to) 28 day wait begins.

maycontainuts

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about this deal and picking it up, im guessing windows 8 upgrade is digital is that right or is it a physical upgrade they send through the post?

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's interesting as I believe you simply receive a Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Licence Key without the actual DVD...will you be able to download the software already holding a valid Licence Key?!

nsp24

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that's interesting as I believe you simply receive a Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Licence Key without the actual DVD...will you be able to download the software already holding a valid Licence Key?!

I think you get the boxed version which i believe is about ?49.99 the pro upgrade via download is only ?25. Hopefully we will find out soon.

Andy M

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a similar experience today, spoke to the manager who called HQ, sticker should have been on box and they will be sending an SMS. He then took my number when I told him I'd purchased SIM free. No SMS yet though.

Narr, can you tell me a bit about the SIM Free option. I'm just curious, does SIM Free simply mean it's unlocked and not set to any particular provider or does it mean something else?

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Narr, can you tell me a bit about the SIM Free option. I'm just curious, does SIM Free simply mean it's unlocked and not set to any particular provider or does it mean something else?

Hi Andy, yes it's not locked to any particular mobile operator and doesn't come with a contract. The 920 is also listed by Phones4U as sim free but is locked to EE, Orange and T-Mobile.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Morning,

Good News - Carphone Warehouse have processed my application within the 28-day period - they actually post it out to you, which means you end up with a DVD of the Windows 8 Pro Software with the Licence Key, which means the value of this offer now goes up by ?7.99 to ?32.98, as if you buy the Windows 8 Pro software online you get the chance for ?7.99 extra to receive a DVD of the software.

Excellent, just got to wait for it to be delivered now!

Richard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss