Nokia Lumia 820 Voice Quality Issues

Jeebus137

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I got my wife an 820 on AT&T and for some reason the voice quality is terrible on her phone. I even sent it back and got another and have the same exact issue. It sounds as if she is at the other end of a long hallway wrapped in gauze. It comes and goes after the first minute or so. I've looked all over online, called AT&T and Nokia and no one else has this problem. She isn't holding the device funny and there is no case covering up the microphone. Does anyone here have any ideas? The only thing I can think of is for some reason the noise cancellation technology thinks her voice is background noise. I've tried her phone myself a couple times and no one complains about how my voice sounds. I don't get it. Thanks for any help.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I am starting to wonder if I have this issue. From time to time callers on the other end say they can barely hear me. I was thinking at first it was the network, as LTE was switched on a few weeks ago. But it is still happening, the last time was a few days ago talking to my mom. I ended up having to text her. :(

adamski777

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
when i first got the phone i had poor call quality issues too. then about 10 days ago some small nokia updates came through and now the calls are like normal. using mine on 3g network as LTE has yet to go live where i am.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I am starting to wonder if I have this issue. From time to time callers on the other end say they can barely hear me. I was thinking at first it was the network, as LTE was switched on a few weeks ago. But it is still happening, the last time was a few days ago talking to my mom. I ended up having to text her. :(

Update: I figured out my problem was with the case I had on the phone, it was covering up the mic. So I made a small mod to it and all is well for the time being. :)

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I have recently bought a Lumia 820 for my mother. She likes the device a lot, but the call quality issues are making her want her husband's Galaxy S3. The problem happens during the first 30 seconds or so in the call. After that, it sounds normal. Here is a link to an ongoing thread in Nokia Support forums: Lumia 820 - Microphone sensitivity - Nokia Support Discussions

We have already replaced the phone with another 820, and it has the exact same issue. It would be good if Nokia would at least acknowledge the issue. She likes Windows Phone, and we may end up getting an HTC for her (she finds the 920 too heavy for her, specially after holding her husband's Galaxy S3) if Nokia won't release a statement or a fix for this.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My issue hasn't happened since a button hard reset, but it was my 5th hard reset....

I definitely think it's a firmware issue, and Nokia really needs to get on it. Between this, the lack of delivered promises for launch, and no marketing and exclusive apps anymore (Wordament...), I'm starting to eye Blackberry 10...

It just doesn't seem like Microsoft can deliver anything right. I understand this is only (technically) 2 months old, but they had the "beta test" with Windows Phone 7.5; there is no reason for so many negligent errors and issues...

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
Well, I guess I didn't figure it out as I stated above. I was still having the issue even after reboots and resets. I have moved to a iPhone 5 for the time being. But hoping the 720 or another Nokia WP comes along without the issue. :cry:

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
OK, I think I may have figured out this issue. But I hope to get some help from you all to verify it. I have to thank Lamborah over at the Nokia forums for showing me where the second mic for noise cancellation is, and giving me the idea. Next time you get a call and the person on the other end can't and/or barely hear you. Take off the back cover, and asking the person if they can hear you. I know it's a pain to take the back cover off. It will be worth it if enough people can confirm this, that way Nokia will have to take notice. If they say they can, we now know the seem/opening between the edge of the camera frame and the back cover is not sufficient enough for the mic to handle noise cancellation properly.

Manish Shrivastava

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I also have the similar voice quality complains from my phone. I have removed back pannel when problem occurs and it does solve the issue. But I can't keep doing this when I get a call or keep phone without pannel :) I have given the phone in service centre at bangalore and it was sent to Gurgaon for repair. The issue remains unresolved after 2 visits. I strongly recpommend people to look for other option as the basic feature is missing. Though the phone is good when all is well.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I also have the similar voice quality complains from my phone. I have removed back pannel when problem occurs and it does solve the issue. But I can't keep doing this when I get a call or keep phone without pannel :) I have given the phone in service centre at bangalore and it was sent to Gurgaon for repair. The issue remains unresolved after 2 visits. I strongly recpommend people to look for other option as the basic feature is missing. Though the phone is good when all is well.

I moved on to a 720. Still debating if I want to modify the back cover on the 820 near the camera to allow more sound to come through enabling better noise cancelation.

Prithivi raj

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
i face rather a quiet unique problem that the caller on the other line is able to hear my ovice clearly but i couldn't hear them clearely. The voice is such that it is not at all clear.

Omar Zak

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
IF .... you are the ones who makes calls while the phone is between head and shoulder ... you will face a problem with voice in lumia 820

the mic location makes it mandatory to hold the phone while talking .... anything but that will make the voice goes faaar and quite ....

which i find very good thing ... since we all know how bad is that to neck and spine to keep the phone above shoulder :)

Sanjay Puri

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I had same problem with Nokia Lumia 620. Phone is almost unusable as far as voice calling is concerned. I had tried my best to resolve the issue but of no use. I had no other option but to hit my head to a wall. Problem is with noice cancellation feature of all Nokia Lumia phones. Also voice is not clean in earphone speaker of Lumia 620. I ultimately sold my phone after 20 days of terrible use.

Bowie85

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought 6 Lumia 820 for work and have this problem across all of them. The tiny and low volume issue, it is better if you have the bottom close to your mouth not angled away from your face it improves. However really shouldn't have to change the way you hold a phone to make it work ok sound quality still isn't great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb