[Solved] Where did the gigabytes go?

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I'm quite happy with my purchase of lumia820, but there's something that still troubles me - the usage of internal memory of the phone.
My photos and video go directly to memory card, I have removed games (only got like 2 installed), wiped map and browser data, and still my internal memory usage is as follows:

music+videos: 2.61MB
pictures: 0MB
Apps: 798.36MB
Other: 2.46GB
System: 1.90GB
Free space: 2.27GB

So I'm pretty lost here as I have no idea what those "other" that take 2.5gb of space are and decided to ask you - more experienced users - if you have any idea what can it be and how could I free it up?

Morq :)

Last edited:

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that if i deleted videos from Nokia trailers my available data went up, even though everything is set to save to sd, seems like its app data, why it doesn't come under apps i don't know.

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Where did the gigabytes go?

Alright so, it means some application is a culprit but I have no idea which one it would be. I do not have any trailers installed, I do have cloud stuff like skydrive and boxfiles, only app that could use the data would be nokia maps but I have purged them recently :eek:

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I thought it might be nokia map (I dont have any other map app installed) but its not, I have uninstalled it completely and there still is 2.5gb in "other"..

adamski777

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

im another 820 owner in the same boat. down to 1.18GB free. Been reading elsewhere this "other" section is allegedly reserved by applications and is freed as required. im not so convinced and getting concerned. otherwise love the phone.

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Aight so here's the reply I got from MS forums:

So "other" is basically a storage of data from a variety of sources (photos, music and video as well as reserved space for applications). Each application that writes (and stores data) has their own specific area to use so WP allocates space according to needs of the device.

Windows Phone allocate storage dynamically, so if the phone is relatively empty, it will reserve a lot of space (as an example, IE and Maps would take space.)

As you add more to your device it will release some of the reserved space back to the phone.

Pretty much if space is not being used, it will automatically take space and reserve it for use for what is there. If a new app is installed and it needs more space, the phone will allocate the space needed.

:Source:

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Try posting on the forum i sourced 2 posts before, ms people look there, might be able to help ya out.

How about trying resetting the phone and seeing how much is frozen?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro