Lumia 820 SD card & other questionss.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
what?! wow thats bad :/ im not a 'heavy gamer' but cant install app/games to the sd card is a big down side....
i thought some app/game will have screen resolution requirement? since 820's screen resolution is so low.

no such thing as screen res requirement, AFAIK.

johnnylai

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
no such thing as screen res requirement, AFAIK.

Lumia 820 or 920 :S
cant decide which one, i want 920 is because of
-pureview
-32gb internal storage
-stabilizer camera
-the look
-bigger battery
-better screen resolution
but i what i dont like about it is too big, as a mechanic, phone in the pocket while working have risk of damaging and not comfortable.. :(
and most important thing is 920 having many problems, i wonder 820 having same problems or not...

i want the 820 is because of
-same processor & ram with 920
-led screen which use less power and better display
-removable battery & changeable back cover
-sd card up to 64gb (but which class with no lag?:unhappysweat:)
-smaller than 920
-dual LED flash like 920
but it missing pureview, battery too small, and sd card only can store music/video

Tomorrow im going to buy the phone, really dont know which one to choose, please give some advice! Thank you! :)

apinkel

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
From the looks of it you've already done your homework. I really think you just need to head into the store to go check them out. I went in to the store expecting to buy the 8X or the 920 and walked out with the 820.

IMO the only knocks against the 820 are the lower resolution screen and relatively low 8GB of internal storage (although I'm hoping MS does something to address the "other" storage issue in WP8 which would render this a non-issue for me).

Things I like:
The in hand feel. The 8X was nice to look at but didn't feel as good in hand to me as the 820. The 920 just didn't feel as comfortable in-hand to me.
While the resolution of the display could be better... the black levels and colors (although slightly exaggerated) are excellent.
I've been really impressed with the camera. I'm sure the 920 is better but I'm no photo enthusiast... I just want something that will capture usable audio/video without me thinking about it. The 820 does.
Battery has been good, if a bit inconsistent, for me (not sure if I've got a rogue app or WP8 still needs some tweaking). I can make it two light usage days if I try.

...I'm hoping the rugged shells show up. I really like the thought of having a rugged shell that doesn't add much girth to the phone but protects it and allows me to save the original as a backup.

johnnylai

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
From the looks of it you've already done your homework. I really think you just need to head into the store to go check them out. I went in to the store expecting to buy the 8X or the 920 and walked out with the 820.

IMO the only knocks against the 820 are the lower resolution screen and relatively low 8GB of internal storage (although I'm hoping MS does something to address the "other" storage issue in WP8 which would render this a non-issue for me).

Things I like:
The in hand feel. The 8X was nice to look at but didn't feel as good in hand to me as the 820. The 920 just didn't feel as comfortable in-hand to me.
While the resolution of the display could be better... the black levels and colors (although slightly exaggerated) are excellent.
I've been really impressed with the camera. I'm sure the 920 is better but I'm no photo enthusiast... I just want something that will capture usable audio/video without me thinking about it. The 820 does.
Battery has been good, if a bit inconsistent, for me (not sure if I've got a rogue app or WP8 still needs some tweaking). I can make it two light usage days if I try.

...I'm hoping the rugged shells show up. I really like the thought of having a rugged shell that doesn't add much girth to the phone but protects it and allows me to save the original as a backup.

Thanks! Later im gonna go to the store and see what i choose when i leave the store :)

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
i really like it!
btw, i got the sd card error issue. Do i need to format the sd card?if yes, which format?

I've never gotten the issue before, so I'm of no help, sorry. But the first time I put my SD Card in, I formatted it in Settings > Phone Storage > format SD Card.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
did you cut it yourself? otherwise, try opening it and reinsert the SIM, even small amount of dust can make it unreadable. I've also had this one time, just wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth, it should work then.

imalton

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Just a follow-up, so can we store basically any kind of file to the SD card or just pictures, videos like the ones without SD card slot? I don't need to install apps on the SD card - just need to transfer large files between computers. Having said that 8GB internal is a little small for me - I have an Lumia 900 with 16GB but still don't feel sufficient. Ideally, I think I need both 32GB internal storage AND an SD card slot for large file transferring :)

johnnylai

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
i suspect something. When i install app, for example the app is 10mb, after i installed the app, its more than 10mb. I have no idea how can i get 2.45gb apps....

And the photo quality is so poor :( or my picture taking skill is not good?

and where can i play the video after i record video. (when i finish what i want to record, i click the capture button, the phone jumps to home screen...and the camera task is closed)

and i open the nokia map, after the gps lock, the position jumps..... :/

Last edited:

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Think of app downloads as .zip files: they are smaller downloads and bigger once unpacked and installed. I don't record video with my phone, I have a regular DLSR for that.

buddler

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
the higher the better. Class 10 is preferred, or UHS if you can afford, and don't mind. I have a class 4 SD Card, and accessing media on my SD Card is really laggy.

That is simply not true with the lumia 820. Please read the whole thread here:

Lumia 820 - sd card issues and freezing - Nokia Support Discussions

Many many problems with class 10 cards and sizes above 16 GB.
Nokia even proposes only using nokia sd cards. Has anyone ever seen them in the wild?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077