Considering Switch from 920 to 820

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have moved from iOS to Windows Phone. I am happy with the switch.

That said, I have a 920 and while I am not unhappy, but I am seriously considering moving to the 820. I prefer the smaller size. I have a couple of questions I hope I can get answered here...

1. The 920 has 32 gig of on board memory. How much does the 820 have?
2. I read that it is expandable - but that no apps can be installed on the Micros SD memory. That might be a deal breaker if true.
3. Any obvious things that I am missing? I have read through the forum but I may have missed something!
4. Other than that, do I have the comparison right:

920: Larger screen, able to use screen with gloves, much more on board memory, built in wireless charging.
820: Smaller screen and overall form factor, less memory, exchangable backs so color changes and wireless charging are an option.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi there, I deliberately chose the 820 over the 920 because of the form factor and the SD card support.
1. The 820 has 8 gb memory, expandable upto additional 64 gb
2. That is correct, no apps only media.
3. I believe the screen can be used with gloves as well.
4. The comparison is right imho.

Good luck with your decision, I am very happy with my choice. :)

scubus

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, I deliberately chose the 820 over the 920 because of the form factor and the SD card support.
1. The 820 has 8 gb memory, expandable upto additional 64 gb
2. That is correct, no apps only media.
3. I believe the screen can be used with gloves as well.
4. The comparison is right imho.

Good luck with your decision, I am very happy with my choice. :)

Thanks. In my opinion, you can't go too wrong with either, but I think one is going to fit an individual a little better than the other.

The glove thing isn't too important - I live in Florida, but I do visit the north once in a while.

One other question, is it possible to make a full backup of the 920 and restore it to the 820 so I don't have to re-set everything?

jplumia820

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 820 because it fits better in the palm. Unlike the 920,it has rounded corners and is more compact. The swappable covers are an added advantage. I do wish that the apps could be stored on the memory card though. I suggest you try out the 820 and judge for yourself..
Good luck with your decision!

Morq

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
There's serious downside to 820 however - the built in 8gb is way too low, considering the "memory bug" that people (including me) are encountering.
I have 820, quite a few apps installed but no games, so they are mostly not too heavy apps, all the movies and photos are set to move to the external mem. But memory is running low and never going up even if you uninstall app. Imagine that each time i take a photo, even tho it goes to external card I loose 2 mems of internal mem as well.
That's the main reason I'd stay with 920.

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a question: is there a vast difference between the screen resolution on the 920 compared to the 820? Does it look that much better compared to the 820? This is the only thing im worried about since I don't have that many apps on my phone, and love the size more. Thanks in advance :D

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a question: is there a vast difference between the screen resolution on the 920 compared to the 820? Does it look that much better compared to the 820? This is the only thing im worried about since I don't have that many apps on my phone, and love the size more. Thanks in advance :D

I suggest to get down to your local store and see for yourself. It is the only way for you to experience it first hand. To me there is no difference. For me personally I do not play games or watch YouTube or browse the web that often. I use the phone to make calls, text and email and for that the resolution isn't that important. Depends on what you use your phone for. Lots of people are screaming for hi-res, hi-res. How much higher does it need to be? I mean really for everyday use will a few less pixels ruin your overall experience? Put the phones side by side if at all possible and use your own eyes to see if there is a difference to you.

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I suggest to get down to your local store and see for yourself. It is the only way for you to experience it first hand. To me there is no difference. For me personally I do not play games or watch YouTube or browse the web that often. I use the phone to make calls, text and email and for that the resolution isn't that important. Depends on what you use your phone for. Lots of people are screaming for hi-res, hi-res. How much higher does it need to be? I mean really for everyday use will a few less pixels ruin your overall experience? Put the phones side by side if at all possible and use your own eyes to see if there is a difference to you.

I see what your saying, and I thank you for the reply. I just got my moms Galaxy S3, opened amazon kindle on both my Lumia 900 and her phone, and the only difference I could really tell was that you can fit more words on screen. Sure it was a tad sharper, but not exponentially sharper. I think I'll take the great form factor over a little sharper text. I love how my Lumia feels in hand, and love the interchangeable covers. Again thanks for the reply! :D I appreciate your input

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I see what your saying, and I thank you for the reply. I just got my moms Galaxy S3, opened amazon kindle on both my Lumia 900 and her phone, and the only difference I could really tell was that you can fit more words on screen. Sure it was a tad sharper, but not exponentially sharper. I think I'll take the great form factor over a little sharper text. I love how my Lumia feels in hand, and love the interchangeable covers. Again thanks for the reply! :D I appreciate your input

No worries. Like I said it all depends on what you do with your phone daily. If you find yourself using apps like Kindle or surf the web you may be better off with a larger screen. Lots of people and reviewers judge a phone by how many apps and pixel density. I judged the phone by quality of the company's engineering and overal build quality. How the OS runs with the things I do daily with a phone. Is it smooth in operation, is the UI clean and functional, is it easy to understand and does it have a pleasing aesthetic? Form factor, some people and reviewers think that the 820 is bland and boring but to me it is simple and elegant in its approach to its design.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Go for an HTC 8x or wait till MWC in February to see the surface phone and the other new WP8 phones. The Nokia Lumia 920 is just fricking huge, not indicative of most phones that have 4.5 inch screens. The foot print for the average 4.5 inch phone is much MUCH smaller than the 920.

The Lumia 920 is the equivalent of about a phone with a 5 inch screen I would say.

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Go for an HTC 8x or wait till MWC in February to see the surface phone and the other new WP8 phones. The Nokia Lumia 920 is just fricking huge, not indicative of most phones that have 4.5 inch screens. The foot print for the average 4.5 inch phone is much MUCH smaller than the 920.

The Lumia 920 is the equivalent of about a phone with a 5 inch screen I would say.

Thats a pretty good idea. I somehow forgot about MWC :p I would love to have a Surface Phone, I'd buy that in a heartbeat ;)

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Coming from apple's retina devices, the 820's screen takes some getting used to. Yes, you can still see individual pixels but it doesn't really matter as much. How often are you going to be scrutinizing pixels? They do just fine for reading :)

Cornbean7077

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Coming from apple's retina devices, the 820's screen takes some getting used to. Yes, you can still see individual pixels but it doesn't really matter as much. How often are you going to be scrutinizing pixels? They do just fine for reading :)

I agree totally with you :) I love the screen on the 900 for the colors, goodness those colors are amazing, and yes you can see pixels, but not enough to detract from the amazing experience of Windows Phone :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piklokz