How many ended up getting 820 instead of 920/8X ?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi all ,

I wanted to share my experience how I purchased 820.

I wanted to upgrade my old 5800 xpress music phone , so i started looking for a decent phone.I am familiar with iOS because of iPad 3rd gen.So , initially , I wanted to get an iPhone 5 or 4S but i felt not to go down that road.Searched for many devices , Then my focus shifted towards Galaxy Note 2 until the last day but then I came across the news of 920 launch in my city.So , I went to a Nokia store but they informed me that 920s arrive in the evening and another store (not Nokia priority) said same thing.

On the same day evening , I went to the Nokia store with money equivalent to get an 920 (Unlocked)(I was so confident that 920 would impress me) , When i entered the store , They showed me 820 first and i was blown away by the size and colors popping up (Phone color is black + AMOLED blacks looked way too good at that time)I wasn't focusing much of thoughts on 820 because i was eager to see 920.Then after 2-3 minutes , They showed me 920 .It looked washed out and felt "dull" especially after seeing deep blacks on 820.I immediately wanted to go for an 820 but screen resolution held me back because being a 3rd gen iPad user , I know how good these high ppi displays are.So I used the 820 for some more time by paying extra attention to see if i can bear the low ppi but to my surprise , I really didn't find display to be pixelated at all.Display felt sharp most of the times.rarely found it to be less sharp.

Primary reason why i went to 820 is that , back in 2011 , I used S2 for a single day (Dad asked me to set his S2 and install all necessary stuff , S2 also had AMOLED screen ) and That is when , I felt that 4.3 inch is a perfect size.Due to big size of 920 , I wanted 820 even more , especially 4.3 inch form factor.820 also has replaceable shells , expandable storage and removable battery and price difference between 820 and 920 is $200 (unlocked) , I finally purchased a red one (even 5800 is a red one :))

I read some threads , where some users said they went to 820 instead of 920 and 8X as well, I am just wondering if there are more users like that and also what made u go for 820 over 920 or Ativ or 8X ?

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I had the 822 for a while and initially picked that over the 8X because of size, price, microsd and battery. I just got the 8X, and I'll tell you, there is no comparison as far a quality look, feel, and sound through headphones. The 82x is a nice phone, and Nokia has some nice apps, but I sacrificed most of that for the 8X and love it.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Certainly, 16gb is not a lot. But if you have unlimited data, streaming works well, as long as you have a good connection or Wi-Fi. Even on cellular, I have streamed music a lot and my usage wasn't close to 2gb. But I would sacrifice some of my music (switch it out once in a while), to have the 8x. Beats audio is a huge difference too over the 82x!

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I ran a 9500 Communicator for years then its internal screen died back end of last year. I'd been watching WP for a while and I'd promised myself a WP8 phone when they came out anyhow. I didn't buy until late December because I wanted to see how things panned out. The 920 was getting all the attention but it looked too big for me, with square corners which I thought was daft and a superb camera that I knew I would never put to use, so what would be the point. This left the 820 and 8X. Well, I was in and out of my O2 shop days on end trying to choose between the two. It was a very close run thing, but in the end I chose the 820. Clinchers, removable back for battery and SD card replacement and Nokia's software.

Did I make the right choice? I think so. I really like (not love!) my phone. People say it looks bland. I wouldn't disagree, but then I like bland. I think it's smart. Most gripes I have are with the OS, not the phone. Phone gripes are battery life is weird (I'll probably go for the Mungen 1800mAh) and I wish it was a fraction lighter, although I've not heard anyone else say the latter. Of course, as I didn't go for the 8X I can't make a comparison, so please take my post as subjective.

johnnylai

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
before i buy 820, my plan was get a 920. Erm, and now i was little bit regret i didnt choose 920.(because cannot install apps to sd card, but i think 820 have much less problem than 920)

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I to was initially going to take a 8x. I'd been working at Nokia before the 920's came out so I knew what that was like and personally although its a great phone I don't like how the bottom left corner digs in my hand a bit when I'm holding it, hence my choice to take the 8x in blue.

HOWEVER, when I actually saw the 8x in the flesh, again a really nice phone, but it just didn't do it for me. Now having said all that I knew what the 820 was like and I really like the size and shape so I picked that and bought a yellow cover for it from Clove. The only thing I miss is the higher res screens, I think the music sounds great especially if you opt for NM+ & the high quality audio.

Its a great phone and I don't regret my choice!

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
me too, I was really impressed by the screen, and storage is a must have for me. Currently, I have around 50GB of music on my phone, plus a few movies, so I can't think of another phone than the 820, since I really want a windows phone and the ATIV S looks really ugly.

wpwaukesha

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
I was ready to purchase the 920, but then I checked Nokia's website and through Amazon Wireless I bought the 820...for a penny! I figure when its time for me to upgrade it won't hurt as much financially because the 820 was only $0.01.

Piratelooksat40

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I actually purchased a 920 and had it for a week. I thought it was too big, I really did not like it. ATT let me return it and I swapped it for the 820. I really like it except I have tried 2 different SD cards and neither one work. My phone is full of music and I can't load any more on it. I would love to have a card work.

haydt1

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I picked the 820 and overall I'm fairly happy. I wanted a smaller phone and the expandable storage. Battery life could be better and the camera is not so good but I can live with that.

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I actually purchased a 920 and had it for a week. I thought it was too big, I really did not like it. ATT let me return it and I swapped it for the 820. I really like it except I have tried 2 different SD cards and neither one work. My phone is full of music and I can't load any more on it. I would love to have a card work.

Here is the one I bought and it works (moved music to it last night):
SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A)
Amazon link for USA: Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-064G-AFFP-A): Electronics

wmgreenjr

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I went for the 820 like others because of: Micro SD Card slot, it's a little smaller (almost waited for the new Nokia phones coming out since they will be even smaller, but wanted the faster processor and more RAM that the 820&920 have), the rounded corners, and the swappable colored cases. I am coming from a small HP Veer so I am getting used to the size difference lol but it's not too bad. I LOVE the display on the 820!!! It's beautiful! Loaded my music last night on the SD card using Win8 on my laptop. Got my mom an 820 also and she is loving it too (it's her first smartphone)! She even figured out the voice commands before I got a change too lol. Good job Nokia!!!

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I am using class 10 sandisk micro SD 64 gigs , works totally fine

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte