Lumia 820 freezes while charging overnight

steppok

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Ever since I took the Portico WP8 update, my L820 freezes while charging overnight. After doing a battery pull and booting the phone, the battery level is usually around 90-95%.

I've done a factory reset on the phone but the same happens. I don't have many apps on the phone but will begin to trim them down to try and see if a dodgy app is the case.

Have any other Lumia owners experienced this, particularly since the Portico update?

topliner967

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure it's the actual charging that causes it to freeze? Have you tried charing it during the day? What if you just leave it sitting during the night, does it still freeze?

steppok

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, freezing only occurs when charging on mains (strangely, never while charging via USB). I've had it freeze on me when mains charging during the day so I don't think it's related to anything scheduled overnight like updates, etc.

It has only frozen on once or twice when disconnected from charging cables.

Chris J1

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've had this too. At first I thought it might be something to do with wireless charging but I eliminated that one. Has definitely got worse since Portico. The phone will NEVER wake up with an alarm in the morning. I've contacted Nokia who just want me to send the phone away for some undefined time period so they can "look at it". They deny any knowledge of this problem, but then say that their support people don't monitor the forums. Apparently they have a different team to do that - go figure why they don't communicate with each other. I've also done a factory reset to no avail.

Come on Nokia/Microsoft - get your act together and at least acknowledge this issue!

JukeK

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine freezes too. Seems it's getting worse and worse.

Tried desperate tricks I read somewhere: uninstalled Skype and started the phone without sim for 10 mins. No use.

Otherwise excellent mobile, but really annoying "feature".

Chris J1

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Further update. Last night I fully charged the phone before going to bed. Disabled all backups and left the phone OFF the charger. NO FREEZE!. But then this morning I plugged into the charger and within 10 minutes it had frozen! Tonight, I'll leave backup disabled and leave it charging to see what happens.

Chris J1

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I just sent the following email to various Nokia staff at their head office in Finland.

Sirs,
I am taking this step of contacting you directly prior to contacting the Australian Telecommunications Ombudsman and/or The Australian Consumer Affairs Commission.

I have made a number of representations to Nokia Care regarding a common and well publicised problem with the Nokia Lumia 820 (and apparently the 920). The issue regards continual and constant freezing of the phone, especially overnight and when charging. Your Nokia Care representatives based in the Philippines tell me to send the phone away “for evaluation” as they have no knowledge of this issue. Live chat with someone called “Epstein” elicited the response that the Nokia support team does not monitor any forums regarding Nokia phones and therefore have no knowledge of this issue.

To date I have taken the following troubleshooting measures:
• Factory reset
• Selective reloading of applications
• Disabled backup

Further details can be found at http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mia-820-freezes-while-charging-overnight.html

A Google search for the term “nokia lumia freeze overnight” returns About 3,910,000 results (0.24 seconds)

I travel regularly both domestically and overseas, and I simply cannot afford to be without my phone. It is used constantly for my work. Given that this is a known issues (despite Nokia’s protestations to the contrary), I am of the belief that the phone is not “fit for purpose” under the Australian consumer laws. As such it is Nokia’s responsibility to address the issue directly. I would also point out that Australian consumer law provides for compensation for costs incurred by consumers as a result of the sale of faulty goods.

Despite repeated requests and in depth searches, I am unable to obtain a direct number for Nokia in Australia. Nokia Care in Australia is NOT Nokia, it is a third party contractor and there are no representatives local to me. Nor are there any published phone numbers for individual centres.

What I would like to happen in order to forestall my approach to the relevant authorities is:
• An immediate response acknowledging receipt of this email
• An acknowledgement from Nokia that the issue does exist (albeit only with a minority of phones)
• An indication of how Nokia intends to resolve the issue. To my mind the only acceptable solution is to send an “advance RA” 820 upon receipt of which I will undertake to return my faulty phone.

The contents of this email will also be posted on the above site.

I await (without much hope) your prompt response

Regards

mickyd84

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have also had the same problem since the updates with it freezing during/after charging overnight while using the supplied Nokia USB charger.

For the past 2 nights I have plugged the phone into my powered USB hub on my computer using the USB cable that came with the phone, and so far it hasnt frozen.

Chris J1

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
LOL, why did I expect otherwise? My emails have bounced!. I tried to contact the board of Nokia through their web site, but that avenue didn't seem to work either. At least there was no confirmation that the post had succeeded.

Chris J1

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Further update: I seem to have narrowed problem to using Nokia charger(s). Using the Nokia wall charger that came with the phone or using the Nokia wireless charger I get a freeze every night, but when using a 3rd party charger it doesn't freeze.

steppok

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
an update to my issue: the freezes continued every night and sometimes during the day. I've now got a replacement phone with the following properties:

OS version 8.0.10211.204
Firmware revision number 1232.5951.1249.1003
Hardware revision number 1.0.0.0.0

I haven't had one freeze with this phone; same settings, applications and all.

mickyd84

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
OK, I have been charging my 820 with the charger unit that came with my work Blackberry 9900 Bold and in over 2 weeks it hasn't frozen once after overnight charging.

Could it be the chargers are faulty?

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I also get random freeze when using wireless charger overnight. Soft reset needed to wake. It's the second 820 that does this, first returned.

Tafkas373

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine freezes occasionally, without a charger. Most annoying is that even if it doesn't, it won't wake up with an alarm. Sleep status must be seriously broken on this otherwise nice device. To gain perspective: Who ownes an 820 WITHOUT standby-issues?

r4v

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Who ownes an 820 WITHOUT standby-issues?

I do. It crashed a few times (2-3) before last update and now it's stable. Though it has rarely issues with call disconnect. It slows down, do not disconnects, and when I want to turn it off it stays on switch off screen for eternity.

And It just crashed today morning...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon