So its battery vs more RAM..

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I plan to give WP another serious thought again.

But there are countless threads all over the net complaining about 820's battery. Now my wife has got the 720 and its a fantastic device. In fact the reason I plan to ditch Android and jump the WP wagon is the fluidity of 720. But my concern is the 512 RAM of the 720 vs the bad battery of the 820. Which is lesser of the two evil?
Can the battery issue and the heating issue be resolved with a firmware update? Or is it inherent and a part of the hardware?
If its too much of a compromise I will pick the 820. But then again...

Lemme know what u guys think...

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I'm aware there isn't an inherent fault with the 820 and its battery. If you Google for any phone + battery issues you will get lots of hits. I've read a few threads where people are complaining about battery life on the Galaxy S 3 but mine lasts 2 to 3 days easily. Also, quite a few people have complained about the 920 too but once again mine will last a good two days on a single charge.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
On my HTC Titan I could get 4 days out of a charge. On my 820 I can only barely get 1.5 or 2 days.

Charge it every night and don't worry about it.
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There isn't a problem with the 820 battery, as far as I'm concerned.

Since you can replace the battery of the 820, you should wait for a higher-capacity Nokia battery to come along.
Right now, the battery is a BP-5T. Considering my experiences with Nokia batteries, wait for a higher capacity battery in the BP-xT series. 6- or above.
(An example of this is the Lumia 620 battery, the BL-4J (1300 mAh as of current revision). You can replace it with a battery you can find in phones with half the price that is the BL-5J (1430 mAh as of current revision, only a wee bit thicker))

Or, wait for a new version of the BP-5T to appear. Again, Nokia likes reintroducing batteries with higher capacity.

See Nokia no longer bothering with holograms on most batteries? if you want to see more of the latter at work.

EDIT: Whoa. That's a misleading headline (for what I'm using it for). Hang on, there's a photo in there.
http://64.19.142.10/www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/images/holograms/capacities.jpg

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys...so would it be 820 or 720 if it were you...If u had to pick one with a low RAM vs one with the infamous battery issue, which one would you pick?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys...so would it be 820 or 720 if it were you...If u had to pick one with a low RAM vs one with the infamous battery issue, which one would you pick?
It depends on how long you want to use it. If you're going to cycle through phones every 18 months (or less), go for the 720 and hope for the best (i.e. something like 710, same S.o.C. as the 800/900, same amount of RAM, but this time having a humongous battery.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how long you want to use it. If you're going to cycle through phones every 18 months (or less), go for the 720 and hope for the best (i.e. something like 710, same S.o.C. as the 800/900, same amount of RAM, but this time having a humongous battery.

my wife has the 720 (one of the reasons even I am shifting to WP8) but it doesn't have the muscle power right? So 820 it is...but the battery drain and heating issue is something to watch-out for..

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
my wife has the 720 (one of the reasons even I am shifting to WP8) but it doesn't have the muscle power right? So 820 it is...but the battery drain and heating issue is something to watch-out for..
Okay, first of all, the battery is only going to be an issue if you are:
-Watching videos
-Web browsing (white display on AMOLED kills battery quickly)
-Playing games

Stanby-wise, it's amazing. Just like all other Nokia phones.

Besides, you can replace the battery. Hope for the best.

(P.S. I just found out that a 800 mAh battery from one of my Nokia phones works with my 620. Go figure.)

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi there! I've seen you on my 720 vs 820 thread, and so you were facing the same problem as well! Personally I'd recommend the 720 over the 820, but that's biased because I've already set my heart on it and I am a different user than you. I suggest that since you have the privilege of having a full fledged 720 at your disposal (your wife's), why not just ask her to let you try it out for a few days? Use it like you normally would, and if you find any problems that really irk you and you can't stand, get the 820. This is especially if you play lots of games. But for me the 720 is actually made perfectly to be what it is now, whereas the 820 is more of a cheaper alternative to 920.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Okay, first of all, the battery is only going to be an issue if you are:
-Watching videos
-Web browsing (white display on AMOLED kills battery quickly)
-Playing games

Stanby-wise, it's amazing. Just like all other Nokia phones.

Besides, you can replace the battery. Hope for the best.

(P.S. I just found out that a 800 mAh battery from one of my Nokia phones works with my 620. Go figure.)

Following on your PS I've just tried the battery out of my old 5800 XM (BL-5J 1320 mAH) in my wifes 620 and it was a perfect fit! I'm charging it up now and will give it to her as a spare.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi there! I've seen you on my 720 vs 820 thread, and so you were facing the same problem as well! Personally I'd recommend the 720 over the 820, but that's biased because I've already set my heart on it and I am a different user than you. I suggest that since you have the privilege of having a full fledged 720 at your disposal (your wife's), why not just ask her to let you try it out for a few days? Use it like you normally would, and if you find any problems that really irk you and you can't stand, get the 820. This is especially if you play lots of games. But for me the 720 is actually made perfectly to be what it is now, whereas the 820 is more of a cheaper alternative to 920.

Thanks...yes..I plan to so that. But something is not letting me go for the 720. Its like why buy the same two phones.. Plus, reading up a little, I learned the 820 is slightly future-proof. Slightly I say. The 1.5 GHz and 1GB RAM says it all.

Let me see. The heating is also another tissue I worry about. I don't really play games (I think its very kiddish LOL)..
But surfing I do...and a lot..

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what you've been reading where you've invented these "issues".

Charge your phone every night. Battery will not be an issue.

There is no heat issue. My 820 has never even felt the slightest bit warm.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Let me see. The heating is also another tissue I worry about. I don't really play games (I think its very kiddish LOL).

Hello my old friend ;-)

A few pointers:

1)
The heat issue is precisely because of the higher clocked CPU on the 820. Lower clock on the 720 = less heat (and less battery drainage). That is a hardware thing. No software update will change that.

2)
The 820 and 720 are equally future proof. Both will hit end of life at the same time. Barely a developer will target higher end Lumia's (820's and 920's) exclusively. With the exception of a few games, nobody will be developing anything that doesn't run on the 720. Not now. Not in the future. When the next round of WP hardware hits the shelves, all current Lumia's will be in the same boat.

3)
Based on the description of what you do (particularly that you don't play games), I see little reason to prefer the 820 over the 720.

The international maps license that comes with the 820 might be one reason, or the AMOLED screen should you prefer that over the 720's IPS LCD. The higher clock on the 820's CPU is barely noticeable in terms of performance, particularly because the heavy lifting is done by the GPU.

Beyond those things, the 720 is superior in every way, including both front and back camera, video capture and the GPU (Adreno 305 vs. the Adreno 255 in the 820).

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello my old friend ;-)

A few pointers:

1)
The heat issue is precisely because of the higher clocked CPU on the 820. Lower clock on the 720 = less heat (and less battery drainage). That is a hardware thing. No software update will change that.

2)
The 820 and 720 are equally future proof. Both will hit end of life at the same time. Barely a developer will target higher end Lumia's (820's and 920's) exclusively. With the exception of a few games, nobody will be developing anything that runs only on the 820 but not on the 720. Not now. Not in the future. When the next round of WP hardware hits the shelves, all current Lumia's will be in the same boat.

3)
Based on the description of what you do (particularly that you don't play games), I see little reason to prefer the 820 over the 720.

The international maps license that comes with the 820 might be one reason, or the AMOLED screen should you prefer that over the 720's IPS LCD. The higher clock on the 820's CPU is barely noticeable in terms of performance, particularly because the heavy lifting is done by the GPU.

The 720 is superior in all other respects, including both front and back camera, video capture and the GPU (Adreno 305 vs. the Adreno 255 in the 820).
Thanks for doing what I wanted to do while I was asleep :)
BTW, assuming the always-on clock comes to the Lumia line via PR 2.0, you'll love that AMOLED.

Oh, and I've never seen the battery connector things on the 820.
But, seeing that the largest batteries Nokia has officially made is 2000 mAh, good luck if you're choosing the 820.

Since the 720 does have a microSD slot, I'd guess the 720 is a better option. In fact, for what you're using a phone for, you could use a 520 or 620.
(Or, buy both and have one spare battery!)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what you've been reading where you've invented these "issues".

Charge your phone every night. Battery will not be an issue.

There is no heat issue. My 820 has never even felt the slightest bit warm.

Well clearly u haven't been reading enough in that case...look around only in this forum and u will see countless people have battery drain and heating issues aplenty. ANyways..thanks for your reply..

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello my old friend ;-)

A few pointers:

1)

2)
The 820 and 720 are equally future proof. Both will hit end of life at the same time. Barely a developer will target higher end Lumia's (820's and 920's) exclusively. With the exception of a few games, nobody will be developing anything that doesn't run on the 720. Not now. Not in the future. When the next round of WP hardware hits the shelves, all current Lumia's will be in the same boat.

3)

Beyond those things, the 720 is superior in every way, including both front and back camera, video capture and the GPU (Adreno 305 vs. the Adreno 255 in the 820).

Hey A5cent, how u doing mate!

Thanks for your reply... I know what you are saying. Though I agree with everything, there is just one point I may contest against, the last one, The Adreno 225 vs 305. I read on some popular forums the 225 is stronger than the 305...Can we discuss this in length a little...? I am open to a good logical argument on this one...I did plenty of research on this one myself.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The strength of gpu vs gpu will never come into play.

If you want the better camera get the 720, otherwise get the 820.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey A5cent, how u doing mate!

Thanks for your reply... I know what you are saying. Though I agree with everything, there is just one point I may contest against, the last one, The Adreno 225 vs 305. I read on some popular forums the 225 is stronger than the 305...Can we discuss this in length a little...? I am open to a good logical argument on this one...I did plenty of research on this one myself.

305 is low end like two generations behind.

Adreno 305 graphics are equal to 3 year old iPhone 4 and Galaxy S2 whereas Adreno 225 is comparable to iPhone 4S , Galaxy S3 etc.

To make this little clear :
Every adreno has series like 200s , 300s etc.

starting numbers like 305 are meant for low end , 320 is meant for higher end
205 is inferior to 220 and 225.

You must pick last two digits for seeing at potential.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers