iPhone 3Gs --> Lumia 820 switch - worth?

Marcin J

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious how long would L820 last on a battery compared to my 3Gs. I have to say that I have no problems with my iPhone's work time after charging. It lasts for 1-2 days. L820 is very similiar to it, right?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious how long would L820 last on a battery compared to my 3Gs. I have to say that I have no problems with my iPhone's work time after charging. It lasts for 1-2 days. L820 is very similiar to it, right?

Not a 820 user, but dropped the idea of 820 when I checked its battery size.
I am not being a dragster, but have you looked at a Lumia 720?, it has the best battery backup you can get and its a great value for money as well.
Apart from that it has a great look too :), take a look at it.

820 - 1650mAh battery
720 - 2000mAh battery

topliner967

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

To be honest the 820's battery is bad for its hardware, Nokia gave it muscle but the battery can't back it up.

I don't own a 820 but its specs speak for itself, a 1650 mAh battery is really not worthwhile for this monster.

But trust me pal, if you opt for 820 you'll end up cursing its battery life, its extremely weak, for 920 its even weaker for its hardware.

You'll literally be in trouble when it comes to the battery backup pal as 820's battery is too weak for its hardware.

Not a 820 user, but dropped the idea of 820 when I checked its battery size.
I am not being a dragster, but have you looked at a Lumia 720?, it has the best battery backup you can get and its a great value for money as well.
Apart from that it has a great look too :), take a look at it.

820 - 1650mAh battery
720 - 2000mAh battery

So you don't own a 820 but you keep hating on the battery :wink: My battery usually last about 20-25 hours (2G). I use it to listen to spotify all day (well, at least about 5-6 hours, in offline mode), combine that with a few calls/texts and a few minutes of 3D-gaming, and I'd say it's not much worse than any other smartphone in its price range.

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
My 820 last me all day with the brightness on high and WiFi as well as 4g both enabled. I watch a video here and there maybe play a game every few days and text constantly. I charge it all night and its good to go.

Some people might have bad battery life for many reasons...Most people don't realize that auto brightness is a big culprit. Many people don't live in dense urban areas where their phone radio is not over exerted and towers are plenty. Many people judge batteries based off of the first weeks usage and don't realize you need to cycle your battery to improve its performance. Unless someone specifically bases their "bad battery" of the L820 on these types of factors I just can't take them seriously. I'd love to help someone having issues with theirs if they contact me but unfortunately ignorance plays a big part in negative claims with technology.

Just my 2 cents.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
So you don't own a 820 but you keep hating on the battery :wink: My battery usually last about 20-25 hours (2G). I use it to listen to spotify all day (well, at least about 5-6 hours, in offline mode), combine that with a few calls/texts and a few minutes of 3D-gaming, and I'd say it's not much worse than any other smartphone in its price range.

Sigh...you need to go on 3G. 820 has a massive hardware no doubt, but its battery is weak for its hardware, which means if you start accelerating your use you may end up with a low battery alert.

Advice for customers reporting higher than expecte... - Nokia Support Discussions
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...820-get-hot-easily-battery-life-pathetic.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...20-battery-performance-since-1308-update.html
Terrible battery life on lumia 820 uk? Just me or anyone else? - Microsoft Community
Lumia 820 - Complaints/feedback - Nokia Support Discussions

There may be more but well, am not saying that 820 is a bad phone, it has very bright reviews, but hey its hard to see a review thats 100% honest and unbiased, its a very good phone with very good hardware RAM & processor but the drawback is battery doesn't pack enough juice to support the hardware.

At the end of the day its how the OP uses his phone determines how much his battery is going to last.

As I said when I wanted to get wp8 I had 3 choices 920, 820 and the latest 720. Consulted a shopkeeper who happens to be a friend and also another chap who works in the telecom company (they get handsets for review) and both advised to opt for 720.

P.S. - The telecom chap even told me that he had z10 before it was going to be launched and he played with it for an hour and found it wasn't going to survive the market expectations.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Sigh...you need to go on 3G. 820 has a massive hardware no doubt, but its battery is weak for its hardware, which means if you start accelerating your use you may end up with a low battery alert.
I'm willing to bet the 820 won't even last 4 hours of internet sharing with the screen off. I should know because I have a 620 and it barely lasts that long before it kicks in. That said, that's also the rough amount of time my mom's iPhone 5 lasts. Go figure.

So, if you're fine with iPhone level battery life, go ahead for the 820. If you'd like to get the battery life on an E6 (or any other Symbian phone, for that matter), get the 720.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm willing to bet the 820 won't even last 4 hours of internet sharing with the screen off. I should know because I have a 620 and it barely lasts that long before it kicks in. That said, that's also the rough amount of time my mom's iPhone 5 lasts. Go figure.

So, if you're fine with iPhone level battery life, go ahead for the 820. If you'd like to get the battery life on an E6 (or any other Symbian phone, for that matter), get the 720.

1872960.jpg

Marcin J

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your answers! You really help me.
I won't take 720 because it has just 512MB of RAM memory. If some developers publish their games only for 1GB devices now, how is it going to be for 2 years? I need a phone that would still be good after 2-3 years.

The only things I don't like about WP8 is Microsoft's laziness and an anxiety that they won't release WP9 for current devices.

topliner967

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

It's not uncommon to use 2G with smartphones to save battery. If you need to use data, simply switch to 3G or 4G (not recommended as it will drain the battery pretty quick). But like I said, I don't think the 820 is much, if any, worse than other phones in its price class. Thanks for clarifying your point though.

Thanks for all your answers! You really help me.
I won't take 720 because it has just 512MB of RAM memory. If some developers publish their games only for 1GB devices now, how is it going to be for 2 years? I need a phone that would still be good after 2-3 years.

The only things I don't like about WP8 is Microsoft's laziness and an anxiety that they won't release WP9 for current devices.

If you plan to do some gaming, I would be hesitant to recommend the 820. Likely you won't have enough space to install games like the dark knight rises or other similar games.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
@handisetyadi I can't really wait, because my iPhone broke down few day ago - there's no sound! What's more I don't know if L925 will be in stores in Poland.
@raccoon210 Can you give me a link to that Amplitube app? I can't find it.

I have almost forgotten about the issue with firmware updates. On iPhones it is simple - all supported phones get the updates in the same time. How is it with WP8? Do i have to wait until my network decides to release an update?

Thanks for all your answers!

if u can bro buy an unbranded phone so that way u won't have to worry bout carrier interference with updates.

Julek

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I also switched from my iPhone 4 to L820. The overall performance of 820 is great. However, I have to back up those who say that its battery is a weak point.

If I use it only for texting and calling it lasts more than a day, but hey, who buys a smartphone and does not use all of the extra things? ;)

So, when the internet, music and cellular are added it barely lasts through a day.

The screen is not a problem. AMOLED has really great colours and you will see the difference switching from iP 3gs.

Marcin J

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually I didn't switch. Not so long ago I received iPhone 4 from a friend. It worked just great so I didn't think about switching to WP anymore. Unfortunately I've updated to iOS 7 recently and my phone got laggy. Now I'm thinking about switching to WP8 again. This time I'm thinking about an used Lumia 920. I'm doing some "research" now and I'll probably start a thread on this forum to get more informations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos