Photograph file size

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't taken photos on my 820 before as I'm not really into it but today I had my first dabble out of curiousity. I was surprised that the average file size was about half a meg. The photos looked okay but they couldn't bear inspection upon blowing up. After hearing all the hype about the Lumia's camera I was expecting something along the lines that my Canon compact could produce, say 5 or 6 meg that I could do something with. I've had a look at the camera settings but it all looks a bit vague, to me anyway. Can anyone who knows about this sort of thing enlighten me as to how I might get my image quality/file size up? Thanks in advance.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 820 is 8MP, not sure how much your Canon is. Higher the MP, larger is the picture size. Secondly picture size also depends on the camera and the environment where the picture has been taken. If the picture has more colors/details, the picture size will be large as compared to picture with less colors/details.

...I wonder why did you even ask this question?

Last edited:

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I ask this question because I would like to know if I can control the resolution of pictures that I take. As I read your reply you're telling me that I cannot. I have to accept them as they come.

Chew Fat Lip

May 13, 2013
Visit site
It may also depend on how much the camera compresses the jpgs when it creates them. There may be a lot of compression because my old 6 MB DSLR produced jpgs that were 2MB+ in size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05