Great phone, but there are some serious problems

Bansri Manek

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi...

I recently got the Nokia Lumia 820. I have been a droid user for years and wanted a change. The phone is great i need to get used to some of the feature but there are some serious issues/glitches and want to know if its just my phone or are others facing the same issue.

1. Battery Life - OMG horrible... The battery dies in half a day, i majorly use it for whatsapp and emails. Even if i leave the phone fully charged before going to bed by morning its fully drained and usually find my phone dead in the morning. I know all smart phones have battery issues but this is a bit much considering its not used all night but still empty. is this just my phone??

2. Screen Resolution - from time to time while I am tying something the screen resolution just blows up. Super zoom of some sort. There is nothing that i can do to change it. I tried to pinch it back to normal but no luck. i have to shut down the phone and restart for the screen to go back to normal. This happens once every 2 days or so. Again, is this just my phone or is anyone else facing the same problem?

3. Unlocking the screen - When I have left my whatapp convo open and locked the screen, upon unlocking the lower half of the screen is black and non operational. I have to go back to the home screen and re enter the whatsapp page to get the full screen.

4. Response time - At times the phone just decides it does not want to work and takes forever to open my email or whatsapp....

5. Heating up... when i am playing a game or my screen is on for a while it really heats up. also when charging the phone the back side heats up. Is this even normal??

I need to know if these problems are only in my phone and I should get it replaced or if its universal and I need to get a new one...

and finally a note to windows - having a simple in build system to create a playlist is not that hard... why did you complicate it so much that it feels like rocket science???? Can you please update it.

Any reply is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bansri. M

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have had Lumia 820 since December and can only say that I haven't encountered any of the problems you mentioned. My battery life is not perfect but nit as bad as you describe. I would have it replaced.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Super zoom? Possibly activated the Screen Magnifier by mistake in Settings (Ease of Access) ?

Battery life you may want to look into the Applications/Background Tasks section and see how many Apps are pulling data constantly.

I've had my 820 since the start of the year and i can't say i've had any of these problems with it.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Also, phones getting warm while playing games or charging is normal. These things are doing a lot of work. Long as it's not super hot it's no prob.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
If you recently got the 820. It would be good to check to see if the phone is complete up to date software and app wise. I have never had most of those issues on my 820. The only thing that won't really improve in the battery, and it is because Nokia skimped on it. The specs of this phone needed a 3000 mAh battery, not a 1650. One thing might help battery a bit is if Whatsapp has a text messaging feature. I use GroupMe, and need to switch to text when I use my 820. Messaging apps are battery hogs too. :smile:

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think you will have to check multiple options in the Settings menu. There are quite few options to disable unused things (like location OFF, NFC setting OFF) which would save battery life. Some other things like Screen magnifier and accidental camera OFF should give you better handset. I would suggest check all the options in the Settings menu.

Hi...

I recently got the Nokia Lumia 820. I have been a droid user for years and wanted a change. The phone is great i need to get used to some of the feature but there are some serious issues/glitches and want to know if its just my phone or are others facing the same issue.

1. Battery Life - OMG horrible... The battery dies in half a day, i majorly use it for whatsapp and emails. Even if i leave the phone fully charged before going to bed by morning its fully drained and usually find my phone dead in the morning. I know all smart phones have battery issues but this is a bit much considering its not used all night but still empty. is this just my phone??

2. Screen Resolution - from time to time while I am tying something the screen resolution just blows up. Super zoom of some sort. There is nothing that i can do to change it. I tried to pinch it back to normal but no luck. i have to shut down the phone and restart for the screen to go back to normal. This happens once every 2 days or so. Again, is this just my phone or is anyone else facing the same problem?

3. Unlocking the screen - When I have left my whatapp convo open and locked the screen, upon unlocking the lower half of the screen is black and non operational. I have to go back to the home screen and re enter the whatsapp page to get the full screen.

4. Response time - At times the phone just decides it does not want to work and takes forever to open my email or whatsapp....

5. Heating up... when i am playing a game or my screen is on for a while it really heats up. also when charging the phone the back side heats up. Is this even normal??

I need to know if these problems are only in my phone and I should get it replaced or if its universal and I need to get a new one...

and finally a note to windows - having a simple in build system to create a playlist is not that hard... why did you complicate it so much that it feels like rocket science???? Can you please update it.

Thanks
Bansri. M

Sourdo

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 820 since last November. Mostly the battery life is great and go to bed with 80% left(I charge at night), however there are some things to consider. Sitting around and watching utube video's over the network will chew up battery life. Leaving bluetooth and NFC on increases battery use. Also turning off the GPS (Location Service) can help, but in regards to the GPS some apps left running in the background will eat up battery life. Make sure to "back out" of apps to turn them off if not needed. I also noticed when out in fringe cell reception battery life can drop faster, obviously more power is needed. Some of your problems sound like a bad phone. I have had one lock up requiring me to remove the battery. When I get updates I try to remember to turn off and on the phone. I am completely satisfied with this phone.

drddas58

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I had my L820 since last month. Initially I had battery problem , draining very fast but now it is reasonable after learning some tips from this forum. Turning off almost all background apps , Wi-Fi , mobile 3G net, NFC. Bluetooth etc. etc. only improves battery life . Then why I am using this SMART !! PHONE ? Only for calling & receiving phone calls ? If so a Symbian a phone would have been a better option. Nokia should come out with an extended battery for this phone as Samsung has done it for one of its Galaxy models.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Never ever ever EVER overcharge!!! It's not good for the battery as it will lose its capacity to hold charge. Most people think that charging their phone overnight will hold enough charge for the next whole day is actually not true. In some cases, the battery might even last for 6 hours when overcharged. So from experience, drain the battery first, then charge it. This is a one time step only if you're experiencing short battery life. The charge will take more time to reach 100%, around 3 hours than usual. But the end result will be worth it. After this, only charge your phone when you see the critical warning. And then after a few days or so when you look the battery status you'll see a huge improvement. Before, my estimated time remaining was at 8 hours top, with remaining percentage of around 80% and time since last charge was around 2 hours. That was not good. Now I have 83%, time since last charge was 12 hours, and 2 days and 14 hours of estimated battery life remaining.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Never ever ever EVER overcharge!!! It's not good for the battery as it will lose its capacity to hold charge. Most people think that charging their phone overnight will hold enough charge for the next whole day is actually not true. In some cases, the battery might even last for 6 hours when overcharged. So from experience, drain the battery first, then charge it. This is a one time step only if you're experiencing short battery life. The charge will take more time to reach 100%, around 3 hours than usual. But the end result will be worth it. After this, only charge your phone when you see the critical warning. And then after a few days or so when you look the battery status you'll see a huge improvement. Before, my estimated time remaining was at 8 hours top, with remaining percentage of around 80% and time since last charge was around 2 hours. That was not good. Now I have 83%, time since last charge was 12 hours, and 2 days and 14 hours of estimated battery life remaining.

You are so wrong I almost suffered an aneurism while reading this.

Lith ions do not need calibration. The battery monitoring firmware does. Use the phone as you normally would and charge it often and always charge overnight and the firmware will learn and calibrate on it's own.

The lifespan of the battery is drastically reduced by draining it repeatedly towards zero power.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want to actually calibrate the firmware, discharge to 20 percent then do a full charge. Doing this twice should do it. After that, charge frequently and avoid regular instances of complete discharges.

Do a 10-20% discharge once a month to ensure calibration.

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
You are so wrong I almost suffered an aneurism while reading this.

Lith ions do not need calibration. The battery monitoring firmware does. Use the phone as you normally would and charge it often and always charge overnight and the firmware will learn and calibrate on it's own.

The lifespan of the battery is drastically reduced by draining it repeatedly towards zero power.

Yes of course, overcharge the battery every night, that would definitely increase my 1650mA to a 3000mA. I don't know how I am so wrong, I mean, there are some techniques there (aka calibration), and of course not overcharging. What's wrong is how you spelled aneurysm and how you almost suffered from it from reading my post, and how you advised to overcharge the battery overnight, which is also wrong.

So basically, you are so wrong on so many levels.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Last edited:

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The phone will not overcharge the battery. It stops charging when it is full. It's better to keep it fully charged, and there's no danger to putting it on the charger overnight every night.

ImmortalWarrior is right here... letting it discharge fully is probably the worst thing you can do for the battery 's life... you are following very old rules that no longer apply.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have your phone at 100% and you go to bed, then you wake up and it's at 0% then there is definitely a problem with that battery. Go get it exchanged.

The screen magnification problem is caused when you double tap the screen with two fingers. To undo this, double tap the screen with two fingers again. If you want to disable the screen magnification completely, you can go to your settings and change it under Ease of Access.

Your third problem is a problem with Whatsapp. Unfortunately, the app has many bugs and it's kind of slow. However, there will be an update soon that I think will improve the functionality of the app. It should arrive in a week or two, I hope...

dinesh_altius

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is okay if not great. The 2nd is something I agree 100%. My screens gets super zoomed up sometimes when I keep my mobile in my pocket. I can't do anything except to restart the phone.
Sometimes my whats app is very laggy but whats app is a crap in windows phone anyway. I'd not read too much into that. Heating issue is again something I'd agree 100%. Mine gets terribly hot in less than 5 mins into gaming.

kokola95

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
My battery life is okay if not great. The 2nd is something I agree 100%. My screens gets super zoomed up sometimes when I keep my mobile in my pocket. I can't do anything except to restart the phone.
Sometimes my whats app is very laggy but whats app is a crap in windows phone anyway. I'd not read too much into that. Heating issue is again something I'd agree 100%. Mine gets terribly hot in less than 5 mins into gaming.
The super zoom thingy that you mentioned is supposed to hhappen bcs of double tapping the screen with two fingers.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Lol, you people do realize that the phone is smart enough to not let us fully discharge or "overcharge" the battery right?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi...

Thanks
Bansri. M

I have the battery and the heating issue for sure. Also, if you notice, it heats MORE on Data than it does on WiFi. The response time issue is WhatsApp centric only. WhatsApp isnt as well made as it is on other platforms TBH. If u try multi tasking between a game and WhatsApp, the game will load faster than the app, where as it should be the other way round. Anyways.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes of course, overcharge the battery every night, that would definitely increase my 1650mA to a 3000mA. I don't know how I am so wrong, I mean, there are some techniques there (aka calibration), and of course not overcharging.

I worked in hardware test development in my time at RIM. We worked with the engineering and battery teams to develop testing solutions. Lith-ions require computer controlled charging and monitoring to prevent a firesale condition that would cause the battery to explode. These chips and their associated firmware WILL NOT OVERCHARGE YOUR BATTERY!!!. If it did, it would blow the vents and the battery would be useless.

What's wrong is how you spelled aneurysm and how you almost suffered from it from reading my post, and how you advised to overcharge the battery overnight, which is also wrong.

I couldn't possibly care any less how my spelling or grammar comes out when typing from my mobile device, nor does a misspelled word detract from the argument I was making. What you did here is called an ad hominem logical fallacy.

So basically, you are so wrong on so many levels.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

• "there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while."
    • The "smart battery" is typically a combination of a computer chip built into the battery and the complimentary controller in the device itself. The battery itself is not being "calibrated", the firmware of the controllers are. Did you actually read what I said?

• "Although a properly functioning Li-ion charger will terminate charge when the battery is full, some chargers apply a topping charge if the battery terminal voltage drops to a given level."
    • You clearly didn't read the article you posted or you would have seen that line and saw that your concern for "overcharge" is simply paranoid and ignorant.

• "Chargers for cellular phones, laptops, tablets and digital cameras bring the Li-ion battery to 4.20V/cell. This allows maximum capacity, because the consumer wants nothing less than optimal runtime." - "Li-ion should not remain at the high-voltage ceiling of 4.20V/cell for an extended time. When fully charged, remove the battery and allow to voltage to revert to a more natural level like relaxing after exercise."
    • This is NOT and issue so long as you use the device every day. Thus draining the power from 100% state. We already know that chargers apply a topping charge as stated in the quote above, it will drop a few percent then recharge to 100%. It never sits at 100% for an extended period of time because the charger stops charging at 100%.

So, basically, YOU are in fact the one who is wrong on so many levels. I suggest you read up on a topic before you so proudly proclaim victory.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
^^The man is spot on with regard to Li-on batteries. They are basically impossible to overcharge unless the charging circuit is faulty, responds best to frequent charging, can be safely left plugged in to a charger overnight, and the absolute WORST thing you can do to them is a deep discharge, it totally screws them up.
Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo