Is it worth buying Lumia 820?

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The internal flash storage is fast. Very fast. Even compared to my Samsung Pro SD card which is itself way faster than class 10 min spec. Running apps from SD card would negate much of the speed/smoothness of the device so it won't be coming. This is a good thing. What you can do is save the game install files to SD card and swap out one large game for another if you need all your games with you. It works well (though your save games will be lost).

The SD card holds all your media, which is what it should be for.

Gorilla glass is just a trade name for one brand of toughened glass. It is much the same as any other brand. Remember, the more toughened the glass is, the easier it is to shatter or crack. Toughened glass helps against scratches, not screen cracking. I had Nokia replace my screen due to a coating issue from the factory. Neither screen has been scratched in any way. It's a good screen.

Get an 820 now. Any refresh will likely have an HD LCD of larger size, no Amoled sized to fit nicely in the hand. Amoled looks great at lower res (due to the same effect of both sharpening & blurring that CRTs offer rather than just sharpening like LCD) so this is the perfect screen. Marketing will push the bigger numbers though. The 820 is the engineer's phone. The refresh will be the advertiser's phone I predict. Get it now.

Yes, you're right. I have a 16GB Kingston Class 10 SD Card, but interngal storage have read and write better timings. Way better. SD card to storage app is not a good idea for me too.

Have no problems with 820 glass here too. GG is just a name, like you say. Nothing special if u compare with others manufactures.

But with the OS there's about 4-5gb free space? I have many games on my Lumia and from 13gb there's only 5,5gb free

Well, if u are a heavy gamer, I'd tell you to buy a 16GB internal storage smartphone.

drddas58

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I am using this phone for last 2 months. Great phone. I am totally satisfied except that the phone is a bit heavy , always seems slipping away from my hand and already slipped twice from my hand to the floor but fortunately nothing wrong happened . The construction of Nokia Phone is always superb , more durable than any other phone.

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How's the back camera? Does it take better pictures and video than L800?

It is the same camera module as Lumia 900 (not 920), the same way the screen is also the same panel the 900 had. It seems Nokia is good at reusing parts, hehe.
The camera is better than 800, but not spectacular. Of course it is more than good enough 90% of the time, it's just that in low light or other special situations it will not perform as well as you would like. If it is good enough for you depends on your expectations. It is enough for me to take photos on my GF birthday party, when I see something funny on the street or the food in the restaurants, for example. It is more or less on par with my 4 year old point-and-shoot camera (that I don't use anymore, obviously.).

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
How's the back camera? Does it take better pictures and video than L800?

Much better, i can guarantee that. Like I say, my father have one.

It is the same camera module as Lumia 900 (not 920), the same way the screen is also the same panel the 900 had. It seems Nokia is good at reusing parts, hehe.
The camera is better than 800, but not spectacular. Of course it is more than good enough 90% of the time, it's just that in low light or other special situations it will not perform as well as you would like. If it is good enough for you depends on your expectations. It is enough for me to take photos on my GF birthday party, when I see something funny on the street or the food in the restaurants, for example. It is more or less on par with my 4 year old point-and-shoot camera (that I don't use anymore, obviously.).

Have no problems with lowlight. I have many good photos in lowlight and no flash.

I do not agree with your opinion about the Lumia 820's camera. I think it can be frustrating when compared with good SLR cameras. But only real good SLR cameras. For a smartphone camera, it's one of the best. Way better than iPhone 5 and also the Galaxy S4, for example.

Last edited:

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
820 price is cheap right now. If you value the ability to add microsd card (important to store lots of pictures and music files) and the flexibility to change back cover and battery, go for 820. Although it has no 41mpx or OIS, the camera takes respectable photos. Or just wait a little longer for its successor.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The thing with the rear camera is that other people's opinions can be misleading. It depends what is being compared. The 820 has a great rear camera when compared to other brands of phone. When compared to the rest of the Lumia range however, it could be said to be middling. This is because the range is exceptional in the camera department.

I like a suitable camera on my phone for snaps, I have a proper compact for real photos. For my purposes the 820's rear camera is luxuriously over specced.

supadryz

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I had enough of my Nokia lumia 620 & the lack of RAM so Have bought Lumia 820 for ?180 Brand New Sealed which seems a bargin.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The battery is bigger, my friend has 720 it stays for about 2days with playing games. 512mb ram may be an issue, but as WPCentral wrote 512mb ram isn't an big issue. I just can't decide which color to buy: yellow, red

JayMo92

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I got a Lumia 820 and just the next day it was freezing and rebooting on it's own so i sent it back to the vendor. Now i am not sure to pick another or go in for another phone. :cry:

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
They are nice phones with lots of options. If you decide to get one make sure it has the latest updates on it. The only problem I have seen so far is the updates are VERY, VERY SLOW in comming. I have seen posts by people who have bought the phone and have been waiting for over two months (and still waiting) for updates to fix the other storage problem and add features. Very good phone that could be much better if it was updated.

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
If the price difference is just around 100bucks then get the 920 instead but windows experience is the same even if its a 925 or 928.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720