Official Lumia 820 Amber Update Thread

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
With the flood gates opening regarding the release of GDR2 bundled with Nokia’s Amber Update, everyone is dying to know when their Lumia 820 will receive the magical update message. Also, some of you may not know what is included and how it will make your phone better. This guide should provide everything you need!

Has my update been released?

Nokia has a great page for helping its customers discover if their carrier has released the update yet or not:
Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

To check for your phone, click on the region you belong to on the left side of the webpage. This will bring up a list phones/carriers organized by country.

Go to the settings and then check to see if you have an update available, (Settings -> Phone update -> Check for updates). If the update is available, you'll have to be on a WiFi connection to download any system updates over 20MB in size (and GDR2 is definitely over 20MB!)

What is included in GDR2?

Fixes Low Res “Me” Tile Pictures - For more details, Click Here

FM Radio - Back from the dead! It is now included on WP8 phones. You can find it in your Music & Video Hub.

Data Sense - It is now available for more phones. For more details, Click Here.

Change Default Camera Lens/App - Name says it all!

CardDAV and CalDAV Support - Now sync your calender and contacts from services that use these standards!

HTML5 Improvements - Now view HTML5 sites better in IE! Pages should load faster and with less errors!

Lynx and Skype Stability Improvements

What is included in Amber?

Block Calls & Text Messages - While the API for this feature will be on all phones, Nokia has implemented block calls and text messages based on a blacklist or from numbers that have been withheld. For more details, Click Here.

Video Trimmer - A Nokia app that allows for quick editing and sharing of video. For more details, Click Here.

Double Tap To Wake - Now you can double tap your phone to turn it on! No more finding the power button in the dark.
Caution: This feature uses more battery power.

Glance - This feature allows you to view the clock whenever you take your phone out of your pocket or when you wave your hand over the sensor. For detailed information, Click Here.

Nokia Pro Cam - Want the fantastic app the 1020 uses to take pictures? You got it if you have the 920, 925 or 928! For details, Click Here. There's also a good chance it will be released later for other devices if other Nokia apps are anything to go by.

Do you have some new information to share? Post it here! Does this show your phone not having the update yet, but you just verified receiving it? Post it here!

Last edited:

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Good topic.

I have noticed some good improvements on Amber Update:

+ Screen saturation and colour temperature controls.
+ The photos are taken much faster with any camera cpp.
+ Radio FM is avaiable.
+ Windows Phone is more responsiveness, with much less "Loading" screens.
+ SMS and Call Block avaiable.
+ Glance is a very nice add, with good options and have no impact on battery life.
+ Double tap to unlock screen is awesome!
+ Data Sense avaiable from default.
+ Option to choose any camera app to open with camera button
+ A option to clean Skydrive uploads errors.

KBEscalona

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
NOTE / WARNING: THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR PHONE AND IT WILL BE RESTORED TO FACTORY SETTINGS WITH AMBER UPDATE!!!!!
I'AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE. PLEASE BE AWARE!!!

I used Nokia Software Updater for Retail to download the latest AMBER/GDR2 update even if my phone in the nokia support website says "Coming Soon". I 've tried using it not knowing that it will erase my phone and will return to factory settings so again do prepare the necessary backup of your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel