Lumia 820 Amber reviews

dipankar_mitra

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone got WhatsApp working fine with Amber? It's really irritating... WhatApp solved the notification problem just a few months ago, and now with Amber, it is again not notifying when there are incoming messages.
It looks like yesterday the WhatsApp notification problem was solved. I dont know how, since there was no update in the app, or any other change that I did, but it started working since yesterday evening, and I get notifications now. The only thing I did, that I recall, is try to clear the "Other" memory by moving the phone date ahead by 2 weeks, using Nokia storage check app to clear temporary files, and rebooting. My "Other" was 3.15 GB, and I really needed to clear it!

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I've no watsapp notification prob..
But a horizontal line is coming in the middle at times..
Didn't note that sound issue too

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Photos showing duplicates is really annoying. anyone else having this bug after amber update?
Its not related to SD card i think.. Even after removing the sd card and taking photos, duplicates are created..
Any help in killing this bug?

Last edited:

Danny King

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the duplicate photos bug when using an SD card before the Amber update. I've got Amber now, and I've not noticed the problem yet, but I certainly noticed this before the update. I would get 2, 3, 4 copies of the same photo when using an SD card, same with music, randomly would get duplicates every time I added a song or photo to the SD card.

I was hoping GDR2 would fix these issues, but clearly not.

My general thoughts of the new update so far:

• I won't be turning on glance or double tap to wake, I own a watch to tell the time, I don't need to waste battery with these pointless features. Nice for some but not something I care even slightly about.
  • FM Radio. again, ditto. Have podcasts and radio is slowly moving to DAB. No idea why this archaic technology needed reintroducing frankly.
  • The screen colour options are nice. I can adjust the screen to be warmer and more vibrant now which is a big plus.
  • Internet Explorer seems a lot less annoying, especially when you type and get predictive results, it no longer freezes to update that, very smooth now.

Otherwise I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference. Not really what I'd call major progress, but ah well.

Last edited:

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the duplication bug way before Amber. 8 copies was my record.

But digressing, where the hell are those 1 - 8 Photos kept that always appear after a reboot?
They used to be in a folder called 8 in Photos but they aint there and now my Live Tile is full of shoes and bicycles.

Last edited:

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Another small bug noted by me:
When u switch On/Off the flight mode, the WiFi gets automatically switched On... This happened to me several times..but not always..
Did anyone else note that bug?

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that the update has reset my keyboard in terms of autocorrect. I had this problem when I first got my phone, then over the months it has remembered certain words for me and the autocorrect improved. Now it's back to square one.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I must say my update went very smooth, no problems after update, so far, but there again I had no problems before, phone is only week old, so fingers crossed. Jim

Edwardlb20

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
First lemme start..

The camera has improved a lot for me.. The close shot images are way better now. Noise is much reduced and flash lighting is perfect now..
Glance screen is cool but battery killing
Missing the field test using ##3282 for using "3G only" data mode
Data sense is cool and accurate
The other storage prob is still not fixed at least for me.
Overall speed of the phone remains the same, windows phone 8 is as fluidic and responsive as before.

You can change mode to 3G only in Settings-Mobile Network (Highest Connection Speed)

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
You can change mode to 3G only in Settings-Mobile Network (Highest Connection Speed)
do u really expect me to post that without even checking the settings menu?
3G "ONLY" is not possible for the time being atleast in Indian 820 ROMs..

Last edited:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My initial impressions have been positive: definite improvement in battery life and I have double tap to wake switched ON.

One thing I've noticed that I don't know if it was there before - I'm getting a screen flicker when scrolling through a list (like a list of news articles in Nextgen reader, or a long web page).

I should note that after I paplied the update I did hard reset my phone to ensure a completely clean install. I know, probably not necessary but I'm a firm believer in an occasional hard reset being a good thing.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Finally the OS seems to be generally fixed. No more chat disconnects. I use a leather wallet style case (who doesn't use a case?) and that does seem to trigger double tap wake. Dropping it to low sensitivity, will see how that plays out. The FM feature is better than nothing but it really is ancient tech. The radio ui is pretty poor too. Where's DAB support? Come on Nokisoft, this is the 21st century you know. DAB is hardly new. Time to modernise.

Otherwise, this is what was needed. Datasense finally! Also, the improved media compatibility in IE10 means the Pure Connect site can now play my media through my phone (shame there's no app yet...).

All I need from gdr3 is WiFi download of apps/settings after hard reset and closing apps from the multitask screen as promised. Then it's just the long wait for full Win8 app compatibility.

Except... Why can I STILL find absolutely ZERO podcasts in the store? Why is the podcast function so broken and so hard to fix? I can even add one from the Win8 sync app, but it will not sync once on the phone even though it offers the option. I don't quite understand what the chap testing the podcast feature was playing at. When he couldn't find a single podcast, what on earth made him tick the 'fine for release' box on the form? Madness.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else noticed an annoying screen jump when scrolling a page? Pretty sure it wasn't there before the GDR2 / Amber update.

markybean

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure If I had my phone the latest Amber update or I don't know what version I have. Got my phone a few days ago and updated it after purchased.

xE1EqER.png

PxvkJKh.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre