Lumia 820 durability

echo2d

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, can anyone have any thoughts on the durability of the 820's screen? I found many posts complaining how the 820's screen cracks easily even on small drops. I have ordered the phone and thinking if i should cancel the order. Thanks in advance

echo2d

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Its an outright purchase. Thats why i am very concerned. I won't be able to purchase another phone for a long time after that, so i need to be careful. I absolutely love the design of the 820. One of the best i've seen. I read through the thread you linked, before starting this thread. I wasn't satisfied since some say it took many knocks, while others say it was very fragile. Many even speculate some of the posts to be troll posts, so i'm concerned.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am not to concerned with people trolling bad reports. I usually accept when posters say they have problems. My feeling is that often on threads you get people posting with problems and concerns. It is why it is here.

My point is the 820 is an international device, and a very small % of postings in this thread speak of a fragile screen. It is the same tech and type of material used in Nokia's 822, 810, and every other mid-range varient of the WP8 Lumia line. Again, there have been issues, but cracking screens are not among them. If this is the only issue you are concerned with, I say you will be fine. There just isn't a pattern of fragile devices in Nokia's history. If you are here in the US, you can get extremely inexpensive cases on Ebay, Amazon, and often right here on the Mobile Nations store. I know I am determined to keep a case on my phones, regardless of durability.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its an outright purchase. Thats why i am very concerned. I won't be able to purchase another phone for a long time after that, so i need to be careful. I absolutely love the design of the 820. One of the best i've seen. I read through the thread you linked, before starting this thread. I wasn't satisfied since some say it took many knocks, while others say it was very fragile. Many even speculate some of the posts to be troll posts, so i'm concerned.
I would suggest dont go over reports if you are habitual of handling the phones good. if you got your previous phones slipped out of your hand, am not sure not even 820, but if any other phone would be how much intact. I am having 2 of these and have it all good so far :cool: ........ touchwood.

echo2d

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
My point is the 820 is an international device, and a very small % of postings in this thread speak of a fragile screen.
Good point.

you can get extremely inexpensive cases on Ebay, Amazon, and often right here on the Mobile Nations store. I know I am determined to keep a case on my phones, regardless of durability.
Doesn't it add a lot of bulk to the 820, considering it already has a some already?

echo2d

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest dont go over reports if you are habitual of handling the phones good. if you got your previous phones slipped out of your hand
I currently have a Nokia 701. It slipped from my hand once from a short height, but with some considerable force due to the nature of my sudden movement. I thought it was a definite goner, but true to Nokia's history of durability, it survived with some minor dent on the plastic, near the top of the screen. I only had a screen guard on. I was quite surprised when I read about durability issues on the Nokia 820.

Also, how is the battery of the 820? I also read many complaints on poor battery on the 820.

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've had no damage issues with my 820 at all, and I've had it for eight months now. The battery is life is not outstanding. I use a Mugen 1800mAh one. That helps a bit, I think.

syang87

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been using my 820 without a case and have dropped it many times from waist and chest high and it hasn't cracked.....yet.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 820 was great. Dropped out of my hands a couple of times, not a scratch. Remember, though, the angle of the impact is important. There are reports of 920 screens cracking from short, easy drops if it impacts in just the right spot.

And the battery life on my 820 was better than on my 920. The 820 is a really good phone. I think you'll be fine.

echo2d

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies on your experiences guys. I just received my 820 prematurely so i can't cancel it even if i wanted to. The first thing i did was go out and buy a Capdase silicone sleeve for the phone and a screen guard.

I must say, the phone feels phenomenal in the hand!! The design is simply outstanding! It appears to be costlier than it actually is.
The Nokia logo at the top right is extremely stylish!
The Capdase sleeve does not add much bulk to the phone and its grey translucent material accentuates the white color of the shell and looks more striking!

Hope the phone is as sturdy as it feels in the hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12