ATT 820 on Straighttalk

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I bought an ATT Lumia 820 on ebay as my daughters first phone for her birthday..
Tomorrow I get the simcard and 1 month of unlimited from Straighttalk..

Is there anything specific I need to do other than just put the sim card in to
make it work?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You would have needed to get an ATT SIM, and you will have to change some settings in the "access point" section of settings to get data and MMS working I believe. (the APN)

You can google for them.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I got the ATT micro sim (GSM), it comes in tomorrow morning..
Thanks! My daughter will be so excited (she is turning 15)!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
First thing, set up a Microsoft account on the PC. Then set up a Skype account and an Xbox account. You can then change the Xbox tag once for free to avoid a random name. Then, when you enter these into the phone, they will merge. It can be very hard to unmerge and if you don't set up the accounts manually you can end up with some random Skype or Xbox name that's hard to shift. I would keep your MS account with an Outlook (hotmail) address as the primary and add any other email accounts to the phone as extras (or set up a forward to your Outlook address) as it'll work better like this in the long run. Get the accounts right first time and you'll be golden. Get it wrong and you can easily find yourself waiting a month for a security time-out before you can correct anything.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
She already has a Hotmail/outlook/windows account, so we will put that in and sync everything..

I got the phone and simcard today.. I used these settings:

Nokia Lumia 820 Straight Talk Data and MMS Setup | StraightTalkWindows.com

but the data is not working.. I can text/call, but not send mms pics or surf the web..

When I activated the sim card, straighttalk had different settings to set up the APN data etc..
Should I use those settings instead of the ones I used before?

ALSO: is the 820 like the Samsung Focus, where if I put in a memory card it is locked to the
phone and can't be taken out..? She has a Focus now that she has been using as a media
player, and she wants to take the memory card out of it and put it in her 820..

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
She already has a Hotmail/outlook/windows account, so we will put that in and sync everything..

I got the phone and simcard today.. I used these settings:

Nokia Lumia 820 Straight Talk Data and MMS Setup | StraightTalkWindows.com

but the data is not working.. I can text/call, but not send mms pics or surf the web..

When I activated the sim card, straighttalk had different settings to set up the APN data etc..
Should I use those settings instead of the ones I used before?

ALSO: is the 820 like the Samsung Focus, where if I put in a memory card it is locked to the
phone and can't be taken out..? She has a Focus now that she has been using as a media
player, and she wants to take the memory card out of it and put it in her 820..

Thanks!

I would use the info provided by Straight Talk, provided that its for AT&T phones, not T-Mo.
It could take some monkeying around too, as I had to try 3 slightly different APN settings to get my sister's 521 working perfectly.

In WP8, I believe the SD cards are no longer "locked" to the phone, as WP7 was really weird and didn't support it officially. I don't know if you can simply take it out of the Focus and stick it in the 820, but its worth a shot. If it doesn't work, get the music off it, format, and put the music back on. I stuck a normal SD into my sister's 521 with no problems, I believe it had a "safely remove" option too.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Got it all working.. I used these settings:

Internet APN:
APN: tfdata
Username: blank
Password: blank
Proxy server (URL): blank
Proxy port: blank
MMS APN:
APN: tfdata
Username: blank
Password: blank
Proxy (or MMSC) address mms3.tracfone.com
Proxy port: 80
MMSC address http://mms-tf.net

Also: I had to change the Hotmail server to
bay-m.hotmail.com

Also: I had to turn off the 'sync album info with xbox music' when
we synced her albums.. xbox music kept screwing it all up..
We tried the Windows Phone app and desktop app, but
neither worked very well..We miss Zune!

Everything is working great so far, I'll swap over the new
memory card tomorrow and test it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss