Lumia 820 discontinued?

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Has the Lumia 820 been discontinued or is it limited to certain carriers? I'm looking to buy one for my wife, but every shop I've been to doesn't have the 820. They have all the other models; just not this one. I'm located in the UK and have been looking in Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4U, O2 and EE stores.

I did notice it's for sale on Amazon UK, so could always go that route if needed; I just didn't want to get a model that's end of life if that's the case.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have heard AT&T in the US is "phasing it out". Not sure why it hasn't been a good seller... same internals as 920 with lower res screen and slightly worse camera. But it's thinner/smaller, has replaceable battery, SD card slot, OLED screen, swappable shells, and feels very solid. I have both an 820 and 920 and I think they both are very strong.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
There's been no 825 type refresh. Probably decided the range was a bit crowded out by old 920s and new 925s. Personally, I'd pick the 820 (well, I did) as it is only ever going to be as obsolete as the 920/925 (same phone, varied features). The 820 is the enthusiasts choice. The 920/925 is the gamer's choice and the 1025 (if I remember the number right) is the photographer's choice. Which are you?

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. Sounds like the stores are just putting up the most popular phones, and I guess people are choosing either the 720 or 92x above the 820. I've found that most of the retailers I visited, still offer it online and at low price as well. It's now up to my wife if she is ready to move on from her beloved iPhone 4.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I would not really worry if the 820 is being phased out. At the rate that phones are being introduced all phones are lucky if they have a EOL of two years. I got mine because of all the features it had that the 920 did not have (smaller size, removeable battery, expandable memory, OLED screen,etc). I am very happy with it but I rarely keep a phone more than two years anyway and usually when my plan runs out I move on. That is the nature of the smart phone business. I think that there is not going to be a midrange for smart phones in the future. Its going to be high end and low end and thats it. 925, 928, 1020, high and 521, 625 low end. None of the 800's fit the model. As long as they keep updating the software the 800 series its still a good option.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I visited an AT&T store in my area the other week just to see the 1020 up close and personal. I thought it odd that the 820 was the only Windows Phone currently available that was absent there, though. If you're still interested in getting one, I've seen unlocked 820s available through Negrielectronics.

skinnyJM

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
The way I understand it:
Discontinued= No longer available for sale
EOL (End of Life)= No longer supported by manufacturer

So while the 820 may be nearing a discontinued status with various carriers, it is not technically EOL (yet).

My hope is that Nokia doesn't EOL it for at LEAST a year from now.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
SkinyJM, there's no worry about 820 EOL.It will last until Widnows Phone 8 life's end.

Microsoft has announced that it will be 36 months of support for Windows Phone 8. Any.

Gemma Louise

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
They still have the 820 on the orange website and i think EE have some as well although for the pay as you go the price is just under ?300. Apart from the few hiccups i have had with mine i would still recommend it but would advice on getting insurance.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Think carefully before you buy insurance. The real issue is breaking the screen, but how much does it cost to replace? Add the total cost if the insurance over the length of your contract and work out how many times you need to smash your screen each year to be in profit. I'm betting you'll need to break it more than once a year to make it worth getting insurance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos