Home screen position annoying me !!!!!!!

Treebor1960

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed that when you press home the tiles sit approx 10mm from the top of the display till you scroll then miraculously the whole screen is used , it just bugs me , how could Nokia make such a schoolboy error.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have heard that it has something to do with the tiles and the different screen sizes. But I have used several of the Nokia phones and all of thm did it. I have also heard that one of the updates is suppose to fix this little problem. But don't quote me on that as I can't find the reference right off hand. At the rate these updates (still waiting on GDR2 from AT&T) are going we may never see the fix.

nelsonecm

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it's that way because of the toast notifications, when they appear they don't cover any tile. I'm not sure if that's the reason but I think it is.

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Heard this is by design, in order to partly cover the last row of tiles. This way, people are supposed to understand that they can scroll down to reveal other rows of tiles. I have to say this is a waste of screen real estate and I would gladly see this altered in the future.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yup, seems a waste of space to me too, but as coolraoul says, it's to indicate to newbies that they can scroll down.

I'd personally like the option to lock the tiles in place further up the screen.

tyepj

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
There are a lot of things annoying me about this phone. Mostly the fact that I bought it after fighting with Windows operating systems
for so many years already.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No it is beautiful as it is.. But that's my personal opinion and preference.. ;-)

Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The problem is, as it stands the bottom row of tiles gets cut in half on phones like the 820 so all you get to see is a blank black bar at the top. This is like the transition from 4:3 to 16:9 on TVs. WP is supposed to be all about live tiles, not blank black bars. Ok, so keep the black bars on screens that have space to waste but not on the rest please MS. Thanks.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Those black bars are for making a contrast with tile colours.. To make the UI more attractive, at least I think so and like the way it is.. But everyone's preference... :)

Sent from my ST25i using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Justin429

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The blank space at the top is absolutely reserved for toast notifications. It doesn't matter if you like it. Unless it changes in 8.1 or later, it's there to stay. I've given it a passing thought once or twice during my three years on windows phone, but of all annoyances, that reserved space is absolutely inconsequential. Most people will put their live tiles that matter at the top. E.g., phone, messaging, email, calendar, weather, me, etc. If the bottom row being partially obscured is really bothering you, consider exploring your creative side! If it is being cut off by half, why don't you pin a row of small tiles??? Problem solved.

Justin429

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok I just took a good look at the homescreen and realize that my prior recommended solution is not possible. Bummer for you if it truly bothers you. Maybe I am alone in that it makes no difference. The thing is, this isn't android or iOS. This is what your homescreen is; a vertical matrix of tiles that you swipe up or down to reveal. Its not a page tailored to a particular screen size that you swipe left or right to see additional pages of. As a previous commented mentioned, the toast reserved space leads the user to scroll to see more. I guess its just something that will become normal to you eventually, not to dismiss your gripe, but I suspect you are new to WP.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
... how could Nokia make such a schoolboy error.

You mean Microsoft, don't you?

Either way, I think Microsoft did a great job with the aesthetics of the OS. It's the little things like that which make the experience a pleasure. I like how the status bar is hidden until you swipe down from the top because, seriously, how often do you really need to see your signal strength. The tiles are cut at the bottom meaning there's more to scroll down to or the text is cut off at the right so I need to swipe to see more. The OS is engaging... it tells you where you need to go next and personally, I can't wait till WP and Win RT combine to become one mobile OS. Mostly everything in both WP and Win RT/8 scroll horizontally and not vertically, so I'd love to see Win RT/8's start screen and gestures on the phone with horizontal scrolling and tiles cut off to the right instead of at the bottom and "all apps" swiped up from the bottom. This will allow the start screen to be used in both portrait and landscape mode. Definitely exciting times for Microsoft ahead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6