Extra OEM Battery or Portable Charger

Jeric820PH

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 820 User here. Well I have my phone for almost 3 weeks now and as every single day have passed it seems my battery consumption goes higher and higher. Sometimes it wont last a full day..maybe 5-8 hrs.. My phone is mostly on standby but with Internet sharing on. Only 4 are activated in background task. Well my question is what more do you consider buying or investing to your 820. A extra OEM Battery or those portable chargers with high maH?.... Well I know some of you will say it depends if I like to open the back cover always and put in the battery or just use a plug & play charger without taking off anything. Still I want your thoughts and Opinions.. :D

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Battery -most portable chargers have an output way less than 1000mA and the means they take a long time to charge your phone and they are bulky
an extra battery or two especially an inexpensive one or two (2@ $14) off eBay make it an easy choice for me.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, I would only turn on tethering when I needed it as that can't be a good thing for battery life.

I use an external 'power bank' battery. Make sure it puts out 1000mA or it will be awfully slow, but there are many 1000mA versions out there that are small and powerful for cheap. Got mine from the Supermarket (Tesco), own brand, 5200mAh 1000mA out.

The problems with internal spare batteries are a) the cover on the 820 is the very devil to remove and b) you'll need an external charger for your spares or you'll find swapping and charging sessions to be a real drag.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
One of the main reasons I got a 820 was the replaceable battery. No matter how good you are at using your resources the battery in your phone is only going to last so long. I've heard 300 charges; and then it starts to hold a charge less and less. Both options; extra batteries, or external battery charger are good options with good and bad things supporting them. You can really take your pick. But one thing for sure is the battery it came with is not going to last forever. AndyCalling is dead on though; turn off internet sharing unless you need it NOW. It is a battery killer.

I usually get two days out of my battery under normal use; but I have never had it get below 20% or so. The cover is a little difficult to get off; but not really a problem if you are careful. I have a regular charger and a car charger so I am never far from a quick charge up. But I have also gotten an extra battery and plan on getting another as a spare for the spare. Only problem is I don't know how long they last if they are not being used. You have two good options; either way you can't lose.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Firstly, I would only turn on tethering when I needed it as that can't be a good thing for battery life.

I use an external 'power bank' battery. Make sure it puts out 1000mA or it will be awfully slow, but there are many 1000mA versions out there that are small and powerful for cheap. Got mine from the Supermarket (Tesco), own brand, 5200mAh 1000mA out.

The problems with internal spare batteries are a) the cover on the 820 is the very devil to remove and b) you'll need an external charger for your spares or you'll find swapping and charging sessions to be a real drag.

I have an external battery charger for the batteries for my Lumia 810, not only can I charge the battery out of the phone, it has an USB port in the charger
so I can charge the phone and the spare at the same time.
I have two spares, a fully charged will stay at 100% for about 10-14 days, then it slowly drops, if you plan on keeping a battery for a quick charge and not expect to use it for a several months charge it to 45 % - it saves the battery and will stay at that level for at least several months.

Saravana Muthaly

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been enjoying my Lumia 820, and i get decent battery life, what I found is, that when connection is set to 3g and your coverage area has only edge (or 2g), it dries more battery than when it is actually on 3g and also it gets bit heat too... and I always keep wifi and other stuff off when im not using it.. and for me removing the back over of 820 is like nightmare! So i would go for charger than changing battery!

PS: If anyone can give a hint on how to remove back cover of 820 will be great!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Hold the phone in your left hand with the screen facing your palm. Take the sharpest pin knife you can find and put the blade in the seam in the top right corner between the two half's and push in gently. A small crack should happen.When it does use the blade to push the back half back and away from the front. Do the same thing to the left top corner and the back cover should come off. Some people with strong fingernails can use a fingernail instead of a knife. I have used a sewing needle also. As long as the item is very small to fit in the seam. I have had mine off a dozen times without any damage at all.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
You don't need implements, and you could damage your case. There are youtube videos, but essentially the instructions that came with the phone are right except I'd do it with the screen facing you.

It's simple, but it's never going to be convenient. Watch on youtube.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like a very good answer to charging. I just ordered a red charging cover for my 820. Now to find a charger.

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a 3000 mAh portable charger, but Im thinking about getting an extra OEM battery. Here's my experience:
For my usage, I the portable charger is a mess.
I often travel either by foot or with a bicycle, therefore I have to keep both the phone and the charger on my pocket, connected. After 5 minutes of walk/ride, the cable usually prefer to unplug either to the phone or the charger. Even if the cable is connected, the size of the charger + 820 is large, it doesn't feel comfortable for more than 15 minutes in my pocket. Even the portable charger itself is thicker than the 820, which I believe most portable chargers are thicker than the already-thick 820. When I want to use my phone, I have to remember each time to remove the cable from the phone or the charger might fell off my pocket. When I want to put the phone back in, I have to plug the cable back in. In short, Its far from convenient.

With extra battery, I think, I just keep it on my wallet and swap it when I need it.

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I can't understand why people find difficult to remove the back cover . I don't have fingernails and I open it in 5 seconds . About the battery go and buy mpj 2500 Mah at the same size as stock and you will get more juice .also I have a external battery charger and I care it only in my school bag. You can't keep it in your pocket so spare battery is more practical

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon