Lumia 820 replacement digitizers

iamsoldats

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am at my wits end right now dealing with cheap Chinese knock off digitizers. In the hopes of keeping my fellow Lumia 820 users away from the pain and suffering that I have thus far experienced, I am going to compile a list here of suppliers who have sold me non OEM digitizers.

As a reminder, true OEM Nokia digitizers possess a linear polarization layer and a quarter wave retardation layer on the underside of the digitizer to support their "clearblack" technology. this is present as a thick film on the reverse side of the digitizer when removed. In addition, a true OEM digitizer has a different detection grid that supports Nokia's "Super Sensitive Touch" It is this grid that allows the Lumia 820 to be used with gloves on when the touch sensitivity is high. The fake digitizers are basically cobbled together with low-grade generic digitizers combined with low grade materials. If you install one of the fake digitizers on a Lumia 820, the digitizer will begin to register phantom touches and glitch out in a matter of hours. These symptoms seem to be more pronounced with the Lumia Amber update.

Suppliers that have sold me fake digitizers:
eBay: pmonmon, rongyuanxie, iparts-us
Every low-cost supplier on aliexpress and alibaba (These names fluctuate everyday)

I will update this list as I purchase more (I have at least a dozen phones that I am repairing at any given time and most of them are Lumia 820's). As soon as I can find a supplier that sells good digitizers, I will list that as well. If anybody has had similar experiences, feel free to let me know and I will update the list.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I've talked to these people and they said "we ( Chinese) have a different meaning by OEM"
OEM means yes it was made by the original manufacture but is not the same as the Original part
"we sell both Original (Nokia) and OEM parts" I bought a Lumia 810 wireless charging shell and it had
Nokia written on the inside as it shows in ones that are NOKIA branded and a legit "Qi" pad
some on eBay "look" the same but don't say Nokia other than that I have no idea if they have the best parts.
Nokia Repair Parts - Nokia Lumia 820 - Parts4repair.Com

They sent me this link -very informative on how sellers in China view OEM vs Original
How to distinguish iPhone 3GS original and OEM touch screen - YouTube

Last edited:

iamsoldats

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have not tried parts4repair. I would go for it, but the Lumia 820 is not worth enough money to warrant spending too much on the digitizer. It used to be that a good digitizer with the frame would go for from $20-$30. Now, the market is saturated with garbage digitizers and there is no way to know which are good and which are crap. I am familiar with the Chinese definition of OEM, but Honda makes both cars and motorcycles... which is to say that both will provide transportation, but one comes with a severely shortened life expectancy. A Lumia 820 digitizer without the necessary circuitry for the super sensitive touch is not really a Lumia 820 digitizer. If it doesn't provide the clearblack coating, then it severely impairs usability and re-sale value. The biggest problem is that almost every single one of these low-grade digitizers is failing within days of installation. After moving through over 3 dozen Lumia 820s with many happy end-users (I take them from the US, repair them, and sell them at cost to missionaries in Central Asia), I am now faced with the prospect of handing out phones that will almost certainly break within days. Definitions of OEM notwithstanding, these digitizers have no business being labeled as even being "compatible" with the Lumia 820.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
^^
just wanted to know if really lumia 820 got a fragile screen ?

there are many threads about it but people claining to have broken screens are often trolls !

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
in my case it was my fault, I dropped a 20kg dumbbell on it ^^ but the pressure only made the display break, which is (in Germany) starting at 70€, everything below is fake. The Digitizer is only available with the glass here, and the price is 55€.. These are the lowest prices I could find from a certified Nokia reseller, so I think it won't go any lower.

iamsoldats

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly the problem that I have been experiencing with the replacements. I have tried disabling the high sensitivity, but that does not help much. I am trying out using a clean reflash of the system rom in the hopes that perhaps that might alleviate some issues. Also, if I can figure out how to flash a non-AT&T rom, I am going to try that as well... even if it doesn't solve all of the issues, I can feel good about reclaiming all of the features that AT&T stole from us.
Did the replacement digitizer have the clearblack layer? If not, then the screen you received is exactly the same as the $12 ones on eBay.

anthal

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Have you yet stumbled upon any legitimate shop that sells original or otherwise good quality digitizers that actually work?
I got a quite nasty crack on my screen few days ago and have now been browsing ebay with no trust on the sellers whatsoever.

Would you suggest to buy any of these:
1. Nokia Lumia 820 Display Digitizer Touch Screen Scheibe Glas Werkzeug | eBay
2. Original Nokia Lumia 820 Touch Screen Touchpad Digitizer Glass with Frame | eBay
3. Nokia Lumia 820 Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement (this one is out of the game already?)
4. Lumia 820 A-COVER ASSEMBLY 00805X6 | 59.00€ | KLC Finland
5. 00805X6 Nokia Lumia 820 - Front Cover + Touchscreen
6. Lumia 820 kosketuspaneeli raamin kanssa / Kosketuspaneelit Nokia / Parhaatkaupat.com

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MrCartas

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly the problem that I have been experiencing with the replacements. I have tried disabling the high sensitivity, but that does not help much. I am trying out using a clean reflash of the system rom in the hopes that perhaps that might alleviate some issues. Also, if I can figure out how to flash a non-AT&T rom, I am going to try that as well... even if it doesn't solve all of the issues, I can feel good about reclaiming all of the features that AT&T stole from us.
Did the replacement digitizer have the clearblack layer? If not, then the screen you received is exactly the same as the $12 ones on eBay.

Well I did try the eBay option ($19.99 from China), but the screen didn't even work. So I thought I would go with a company based in the USA to see if I had better success, but I guess not! :(

MrCartas

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Have you yet stumbled upon any legitimate shop that sells original or otherwise good quality digitizers that actually work?
I got a quite nasty crack on my screen few days ago and have now been browsing ebay with no trust on the sellers whatsoever.

Would you suggest to buy any of these:

3. Nokia Lumia 820 Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement (this one is out of the game already?)

Thanks in advance.

I would not trust their product since the one I got from them is giving my device the jitters!

anthal

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
What do you think of the second link? In my opinion that looks pretty legitimate but what about those air bubbles under the screen protectors?

iamsoldats

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1: It is tough to be sure due to the frame covering up the obvious signs, but I can see the proper detection grid along the bottom of the digitizer. This may be a good screen, although there is no guarantee of the clearblack layer
2: This is probably a good screen. All of the original factory replacements had the red pull tape and the holes in the protective covering.
3: Ruled out by MrCartas
4: I would not trust this one. The cheap chinese crap often has that silver triangle in the top left rather than the bottom left.
5: This appears to be a good screen, but the one picture does not show enough.
6: Again, this appears to be a good screen, but there is not enough information or pictures.

Given the options, I would take #2. Those are not bubbles in the protective layer, they are holes. Every good digitizer that I have received had this exact same covering. With eBay buyer protection, you would be protected too. Bear in mind however, many of the ebay sellers use stock images that have never been updated from months ago when the appropriate digitizers were available. I have had two instances already where the auction showed the correct digitizers, but they still sent the crappy Chinese junk.
Keep in mind that my goal is to find good digitizers cheap and there are some pricy options here. The Lumia 820 was always in the shadow of its big brother, the 920, and as such, the demand for them is not very high. This means that the actual phone itself can be had for comparatively cheap. You have to ask yourself with any repairs whether or not the cost is worth it. It may make more sense to sell off the broken 820 and put that money plus the cost of the repair towards upgrading.

Phillip Ankerson

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a digitizer from parts4repair.com for $46 (it's $36 now :angry:) + $8 shipping. It worked ok (not like the original - as they claim), but when the software update was installed, it is bricked. Touch does not work at all!

MrCartas

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a digitizer from parts4repair.com for $46 (it's $36 now :angry:) + $8 shipping. It worked ok (not like the original - as they claim), but when the software update was installed, it is bricked. Touch does not work at all!

The digitizer I purchased and install was $49.99 + shipping so I thought I was going the best route, but the results were not the best.

One thing that you mentioned that I now wonder about is the fact that when my phone broke the Amber was not released yet. But after I repaired the phone it was, so I just upgraded to Amber on the spot as soon as the phone was functional again so I didn't fully test it without the Amber update, so I wonder if I need to flash it to an older version to see if it works better. Thank you for your providing your experience information.

Bram Schermers

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Recently I have been in the market to acquire a genuine digitizer + frame, as I used this topic as a reference I felt it would be nice to report my results:

I acquired two fake digitizers, one which glitched and of which the multi-touch failed, and one which functioned rather well but was too dark in front of the proximity sensor, effectively rendering the phone useless during phonecalls, because hanging up is then impossible.

My fake digitizers were bought from:

Finally after much research, I found a genuine Nokia replacement part that both looked and functioned exactly as my original (broken) part. I ordered it at Replacebase.co.uk. I can really recommend this seller, genuine products and relatively cheap and fast shipping. Yes, you can find cheaper digitizers on eBay, but they will almost certainly be fake (in my opinion).

Hope this helps anyone.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
^^
just wanted to know if really lumia 820 got a fragile screen ?

there are many threads about it but people claining to have broken screens are often trolls !

Don't know about trolls, but I've seen a lot of people (myself included) that have broken the display, but not the digitizer itself, which I find it quite and achievement. But it seems to happen quite often.

Aleksandar Boncev

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I'm interested to bye digitizer with frame. So, by your experiance, is the best are from replacebase.co.uk? Is it worth the money? Do they have "clear black" layer? Thanks.

Vladimir Kiesner

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
replacebase.co.uk
It is 100% original. I'm looking right now at my fixed Lumia 820 and tears of joy rolling on my face. Once more - it is completely like original.

Aleksandar Boncev

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi there. I just want to say that i received today the digitizer with frame from replacebase.co.uk and it's magnificent. It's just great! The phone looks like new and 100% original. Any one who need replace their digitizer, i highly recomend to bye from replacebase. Thanks Vladimir Kiesner for your replay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers