WP8 IE playing MP4 video caused Other Storage to jump 1gb ?? Amber with GDR3

driftpod

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 820
Amber with GDR3 - recently hard reset after upgrade to clear all other storage bug

my 820 was hard reset recently, after restoring everything (setup/app), the phone had about 500-600 mb of other storage and 1.5 gb of free storage. I was testing the video function of IE playing mp4 video as below for maybe 10-15 minutes only, i didnt notice at first, but the next day when i ran the storage check app, i had only 400-500mb o free storage left while the other storage had grown to 1.6 gb.

http://nlds120.cdnl3nl.neulion.com/...18/2_21300018_NYK_CHI_2013_h_whole_1_3000.mp4

Does anyone think its a cache problem playing video with IE or the storage bug that hasent been fixed by GDR3 still? i've tried the shrink storage and no luck in releasing the 1.6 gb of other storage, deleted history, is there anyway to clear that storage?
Its pretty frustrating at times using wp8, i cant install more than 2 large games on it, especially now since my other storage is acting up again.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
All videos watched through IE do get cached which should be deleted by either clearing the IE cache or by hitting the delete button under temporary files.

driftpod

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I've tried deleting all the IE cache, cleared the temp files in the settings>phone storage, and shrink storage app. Only thing i havent tried is the trick moving the date 1 month or 1 year forward, but i dont wanna do it yet as it would mess up my data sense history moving dates around.

ptrkhh

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same issue on the same phone (820 GDR3). However, trying the Shrink Storage several time helps to keep the Other to around 500
Heres what I did:
1. Free up space to around 600 MB. Shrink Storage did not work when I had 156 MB free space.
2. Use Shrink Storage, mash Fill Storage button for around 2 minutes
4. Restart phone
5. Mash Fill Storage again
6. Restart again
7. Mash Fill Storage again
8. Clean Storage
9. You might want to start over from step 2 again, but Im happy enough to gain around 400 MB free space

thekingofspain

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing this issue as well on GDR3 on podcasts, probably one that fail to download completely. Seems to be the OS its self as when uninstalling the app does not free up the space. Have reproduced the issue on Khan Academy and then on Music + Videos (trying to work around Khan Academy). Already reset the phone once. Shrink Storage is bombing, probably do to lack of space and perhaps a set of locked other files. This is on a lumina 521.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans