Troubleshooting help! NL 820 Screen Damage

kamikaze0130

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

A day or two ago I dropped my Nokia Lumia (NL) 820 on to the ground screen up. After picking it up and brushing off the dust I saw no apparent damage and kept using it as normal. Not until about a half hour later did I notice a dark blue/black border up in the right hand corner of the screen. Seeing this I knew it was due to the drop but thought, nothing of it because it was so minimal. However after another half hour or so when I looked at my phone, the colors had spread. At this point I was very worried that it would consume the rest of my phone's screen. After another few hours it had done just that. Today, my phone's screen is completely black, I can't see anything except the backlight of the back/menu/search keys. The phone still functions properly, the sound can increase/decrease, the phone locks, camera works, can still shut down and turn on. and as far as I know, the touch screen still works aside from the obvious problem at hand.

I have read a few threads similar to this topic, however they did not have a solid conclusion, I am hoping this will have a resolution.

See attached photo to see damage before the screen turned black.
photo.JPG

TL;DR?
Nokia Lumia 820
Dropped
Screen showed black/blue border
Black/blue border spread across phone
As of now, phone's screen is entirely black
Phone still functions properly, aside from issue

Thanks

Kyle

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The L820 is one of the Lumias (maybe the only one, from I know) that is sensible to this. If you apply the least amount of shock to your phone, the display will shatter, behind the digitizer. It's starts out slowly and then it spreads.

It is called "mechanical shock" and is NOT covered by warranty. I will go retrieve mine tomorrow from repairs because the same thing happened to me. Had to pay for a new display. Around 180 dollars in Romania. When to think the phone itself cost me 453 :(

Darren Collett1

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Actually i was quite suprised about that and dreading being charged for the screen. So i took mine in to the ee store with the same identical issue, the screen slowly went a darker colour from right to left.

I only dropped it a few metres...

By morning the screen was completely blue and unusuable.

EE repaired it within 7 days free of charge, the repair sheet says it is covered by the warranty..seems to be totally random whether any particular company charges you or not.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
EE repaired it within 7 days free of charge, the repair sheet says it is covered by the warranty..seems to be totally random whether any particular company charges you or not.

You are so lucky.

In my case, it wasn't I who firstly broken the screen. Second, they charged me almost half the price. Thirdly, my phone has been in repairs for 43 days now ...

Last edited:

Darren Collett1

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
You are so lucky.

In my case, it wasn't I who firstly broken the screen. Second, they charge me almost half the price. Thirdly, my phone has been in repairs for 43 days now ...

Lucky yeah, they initially said to me 4-6 weeks, i said "this aint the dark ages"... 7 days was long enough... the paperwork clearly states it is covered by the warranty, the technician cited screen corruption, within warranty period, no charge applicable...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro