Wireless charging experience / problems ?

jshaw1976

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I haven't had my 820 long, but one of the features i wanted to use regularly was wireless charging.

I got my cover (cc3041) and charging plate.
When I put the phone on the plate the charger LED went from red to blue, but the phone indicator didn't show that it was charging.

I investigated the problem and discovered that one of the 4 contacts inside the battery cover was different than the other 3.
I'm fairly certain this is causing my charging issue.

I wanted to see if I could find a few 820 owners that would pull off their battery cover and look at the 4 contacts and see if they're all the same or if one of the 4 is different.

Who else uses wireless charging? How has it worked for you?

Gintonic820

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I haven't had my 820 long, but one of the features i wanted to use regularly was wireless charging.

I got my cover (cc3041) and charging plate.
When I put the phone on the plate the charger LED went from red to blue, but the phone indicator didn't show that it was charging.

I investigated the problem and discovered that one of the 4 contacts inside the battery cover was different than the other 3.
I'm fairly certain this is causing my charging issue.

I wanted to see if I could find a few 820 owners that would pull off their battery cover and look at the 4 contacts and see if they're all the same or if one of the 4 is different.

Who else uses wireless charging? How has it worked for you?

Yes, they are the same...

I have been using Nokia DT-900 and it works normal..

jshaw1976

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Gin.

Here's my phone:
defective contacts.JPG

It seems like a very strange defect, and one that should have easily been caught.

At what rate does your phone charge wirelessly?

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
If that is broken you may be able to attach a small piece of solder to that prong to make it meet the contacts on the cover.

Gintonic820

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
It's broken (the pin), that's why it won't charge, it needs all 4 to charge...

I don't know how you managed to broke the pin...

Wireless charging is slower, it charges 750mA, while regular micro usb charger for Lumia 820 is 1300mA.

jshaw1976

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I received the phone like that.
I had it for a week waiting for my charging plate to come in the mail. When the plate showed up and I tried to charge it I discovered the defective pin.
It doesn't look broken. It looks smooth like it was made that way.
Seller is exchanging.

The solder's not a bad idea troy, but since I have a short term warranty with the seller I'm going to go that route.

Besides - to heat that contact enough to melt the solder would probably melt something behind the contact as well - and that could be bad.

Gintonic820

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I had it for a week waiting for my charging plate to come in the mail. When the plate showed up and I tried to charge it I discovered the defective pin.
Seller is exchanging.

The solder's not a bad idea troy, but since I have a short term warranty with the seller I'm going to go that route.

Besides - to heat that contact enough to melt the solder would probably melt something behind the contact as well - and that could be bad.

It was definitely broken and don't try to fix it...

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Seller is exchanging.

I was just thinking melt a small drop onto it. No actual modification to the phone. If you have warranty though, return it.

jshaw1976

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It was definitely broken and don't try to fix it...

I was never going to try to fix it. I was just trying to respond to Troy politely.

It's definitely not "definitely broken". Internal physical damage to a new phone doesn't make any sense at all, but a defect in the manufacturing process does. I'm sure those contacts are stamped by the thousands - and I'm sure there's a certain percentage of defective parts. Unfortunately one ended up in my phone. Unless, of course, you're the blurry photo whisperer and can see into the past.

The phone came from Hong Kong - it's probably a factory 2nd, or worse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos