Waiting on CYAN update for Lumia 820??

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Recent article on WPC says Lumia 820 in India will receive Cyan in September.

I'm feelin the pain and hoping Australia aint following suit.

Hopefully MS comes out with a fix for the preview so I can start using my treasure tag.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I understand people really wanting the update now, but you're just going to have to wait. MS said ALL devices will get 8.1 + Cyan (depending of course on carriers). They also said it will come through a slow rollout. Just have a little more patience. Obviously newer models and better selling models (i.e 520) will get the updates first. And why anyone would expect getting the update 1 week after purchasing a new 820 is beyond me. There is a scheduled roll. Patience is key.

fizze17

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Until now i have seen, every phone which is gettin the update the carriers follow up and its out globally, 920 and 820 are already launched in Europe, shouldn't it follow up too like the rest of devices, why so slow??

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Until now i have seen, every phone which is gettin the update the carriers follow up and its out globally, 920 and 820 are already launched in Europe, shouldn't it follow up too like the rest of devices, why so slow??

The update for 820 has only rolled out in Europe on certain carriers. Even many European CV (country variant/unlocked) 820's are still "under testing". Here is the list of countries where the 820 has the 8.1 + Cyan update available and/or "under testing":
Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Ho hum another week goes by and no release for 820 users in Australia.

Vodafone has been awaiting rollout details for 3 weeks now. Pretty disappointing that we have had to wait so long after testing has finished.

I really hope they are not waiting for Telstra to finish testing for the 920 before allowing other carriers to release Cyan for their Lumias.

sehkzychic

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I understand people really wanting the update now, but you're just going to have to wait. MS said ALL devices will get 8.1 + Cyan (depending of course on carriers). They also said it will come through a slow rollout. Just have a little more patience. Obviously newer models and better selling models (i.e 520) will get the updates first. And why anyone would expect getting the update 1 week after purchasing a new 820 is beyond me. There is a scheduled roll. Patience is key.

I expected it then because I talked to the online customer support from the Windows Phone site, and they said that 8.1 would be coming out within the next week (this was the second week of July). As you said, it depends on the carrier whether or not my phone would be upgradeable. From a practical perspective, it's irrelevant to me whether MS doesn't make a version available, or if T-Mobile doesn't, or if Movistar doesn't, or if there's some other inexplicable issue that prevents it from working. It doesn't help me if other people with the same model of phone can get the update if (for whatever reason), it won't work for my particular phone.

As for patience, I tried to explain my own reason for the urgency above (post 29 in this thread).

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I think that the customer service person you talked to meant that the update is coming in a couple of weeks GENERALLY , not that the updat for your phone specifically. As far as having issues, does your phone work NOW with T-Mobile in the US with 8.0? If so, there will be no issues with it working with 8.1. It all comes down to WHEN you'll get the update, not if.

BOOMTING

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Apparently Cyan/8.1 became available in Italy on Vodafone and CV variants yesterday evening. (I can't post a link, but have a look on Twitter or search, and you'll see various sites reporting it.)

Maybe today might be our day? I'm waiting on the UK CV release. :)

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Apparently Cyan/8.1 became available in Italy on Vodafone and CV variants yesterday evening. (I can't post a link, but have a look on Twitter or search, and you'll see various sites reporting it.)

Maybe today might be our day? I'm waiting on the UK CV release. :)

I'm waiting for the UK CV release also! I'm a patient guy, but the wait is killing me :)

BOOMTING

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting for the UK CV release also! I'm a patient guy, but the wait is killing me :)

This wait is ridiculous. I've Tweeted Nokia a few times and no response. I'm baffled as to how O2 UK can roll out their update for the 820 before Nokia/Microsoft do? I honestly thought too, that we might have been in luck today, but apparently not. It's very disappointing. :(

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I know how you feel. My wife and I own two 520's (backups) a 925 and my 820. We have gotten the cyan/8.1 update for the 520's and the 925; but nothing for my 820 which I have owned twice as long as the other three phones. We are with AT&T. I guest I should be thankfull that at least those phones have been updated. I don't see any thing on Verizon or T-Mobile so I can't help but feel sorry for the people on those networks that have gotten nothing. I am pretty sure the 920/820 will get the update but Microsoft/Nokia are really disappointing the few customers they have with these delays. Maybe that is part of the reason their market share had gone DOWN to 2.5%.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Maybe that is part of the reason their market share had gone DOWN to 2.5%.

Agreed.
Some of the monkeys in charge at MS need to wake up big time.
IMO they sacked the wrong people and kept some real dummys that have failed time after time.

sehkzychic

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I think that the customer service person you talked to meant that the update is coming in a couple of weeks GENERALLY , not that the updat for your phone specifically. As far as having issues, does your phone work NOW with T-Mobile in the US with 8.0? If so, there will be no issues with it working with 8.1. It all comes down to WHEN you'll get the update, not if.

Thanks, I'm just a little worried since there's some phones that have been explicitly stated to not be receiving further support (including the 8.1 update). The issue isn't if my phone could handle 8.1; the issue is will T-Mobile release the update for my particular phone. And do I even need them to release one since my phone came from another region, branded to a different company (splash screen only, not hardware)? There's just a lot of variables I don't fully understand, and I don't want to be stuck with a phone I can't return, but doesn't support 8.1, especially since Cortana was the main reason I chose a Windows Phone.

Hypnopottamus

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I'm just a little worried since there's some phones that have been explicitly stated to not be receiving further support (including the 8.1 update). The issue isn't if my phone could handle 8.1; the issue is will T-Mobile release the update for my particular phone. And do I even need them to release one since my phone came from another region, branded to a different company (splash screen only, not hardware)? There's just a lot of variables I don't fully understand, and I don't want to be stuck with a phone I can't return, but doesn't support 8.1, especially since Cortana was the main reason I chose a Windows Phone.

The way updates work is that it doesn't much matter what carrier you're on currently. What matters is where the phone firmware is from. Since your phone is from Movistar in Mexico, your update will come when Movistar Mexico releases the update for the 820. As of right now, (August 15) it appears that your update is still "under testing". At least according to Nokia's official update rollout schedule page found here:

Availability in Latin America - Nokia

The good news is that it is under testing, which means you WILL get the update. As to when that will be, who knows.

fizze17

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
What I've noticed is people spamming Microsoft and Nokia, that is based on their regions on twitter and its making them release the most preferred models faster.... Hopefully we get the updates for all the phones as soon as possible waiting eagerly for it since 2 months for my Lumia 820

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi