Waiting on CYAN update for Lumia 820??

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Kind of weird; I haven't gotten 8.1/cyan on my 820; but I did get it on my backup 520. My wife also got it on her 925 today both us from AT&T. I would suspect I should be getting it on my 820 very soon. Probably the 920/820 will be the next phones on AT&T list. I was really surprised how well the 520 handles 8.1/cyan. Lots of changes to learn about (my wife is not happy). I was not to hyped up about it; but after getting it on my backup 520 I am now looking forward to getting it on my 820. Should really hop up the old 820.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh yea, I have a 32GB sd card in my 520. I installed angry birds on the phone memory, ran it, deleted it, and installed it on the sd card. Played the same on either memory. With 8.1/cyan on the 820 it becomes a long term phone. No problem waiting awhile for the 830/935

Sent from my KFTT using Mobile Nations mobile app

fizze17

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi just to clarify, cyan isn't available at all for the L820? With or w/o the Developer Preview??

You can 8.1 update to any Lumia via preview for developers including 820, only thing it may void your warranty.. Where as the official update is under Nokia Testing, once they confirm then only you will be able to get the OTA update, you can wait or if your in a hurry you can use the preview for developers app to update and you might get a chance to use GDR 1 update also next week.....

Last edited:

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There's no need to be rude.

I wasn't. I'm sure if I was rude, other people would not have liked my post. Other people did​ like my post.

I bought a windows phone 2 weeks ago believing that the Cyan update and 8.1 would be released within the next week.

And where exactly did you get that belief from? If you didn't get it directly from Nokia or Microsoft, you were just foolish and you've got no one to blame but yourself. Throwing a tantrum isn't going to change that.

If it will not work on my brand new 820,

What is it about this that people are struggling to understand?! WP8.1 and Cyan will work on an 820. There are plenty of people that put WP8.1 on their 820 via the Developer Preview, and the build of WP that is shipping with the Cyan update is the exact same build that everyone on the Preview got most recently.

And yes, there are builds of the Cyan firmware for the 820. Here is a list direct from Nokia:

Availability in Europe - NokiaAs you can see, every entry for the Lumia 820 is "Under Testing", with no dates listed. If you have a CV (Country Variant) ROM, you will get Cyan, without doubt. When that will happen is not public knowledge, so there is no point asking anyone. If you have a Network Provider custom ROM, then you will probably get Cyan, but you might not, it just depends if your Network Provider agrees to the ROM being published after they have tested it.

rusty_sim

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Availability in Europe - NokiaAs you can see, every entry for the Lumia 820 is "Under Testing", with no dates listed. If you have a CV (Country Variant) ROM, you will get Cyan, without doubt. When that will happen is not public knowledge, so there is no point asking anyone. If you have a Network Provider custom ROM, then you will probably get Cyan, but you might not, it just depends if your Network Provider agrees to the ROM being published after they have tested it.

Cool ty very much. I updated to 8.1 with the DevPreview when it first came out. My L820 was parallel imported from Singapore (Country Variant). Should I be looking at the Singapore or New Zealand (where I live) update schedule?

sehkzychic

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't. I'm sure if I was rude, other people would not have liked my post. Other people did​ like my post.

Right, because no one ever likes to join in on making fun of other people? I'm pretty sure that calling people children throwing tantrums qualifies as rude. Especially when directed at strangers.

And where exactly did you get that belief from? If you didn't get it directly from Nokia or Microsoft, you were just foolish and you've got no one to blame but yourself. Throwing a tantrum isn't going to change that.
Again with the insults? It seems unnecessary to keep insulting people just because you don't think their opinions/feelings aren't valid. Anyway, you know that Microsoft was planning to release the updates earlier. That was an official announcement. It was delayed because of the BitLocker problems. You can't "delay" something that didn't have an original date. And to answer your question, yes, I got that "in the next couple weeks" bit from customer service at the Windows Phone site.

What is it about this that people are struggling to understand?! WP8.1 and Cyan will work on an 820. There are plenty of people that put WP8.1 on their 820 via the Developer Preview, and the build of WP that is shipping with the Cyan update is the exact same build that everyone on the Preview got most recently.

And yes, there are builds of the Cyan firmware for the 820. Here is a list direct from Nokia:

As you can see, every entry for the Lumia 820 is "Under Testing", with no dates listed. If you have a CV (Country Variant) ROM, you will get Cyan, without doubt. When that will happen is not public knowledge, so there is no point asking anyone. If you have a Network Provider custom ROM, then you will probably get Cyan, but you might not, it just depends if your Network Provider agrees to the ROM being published after they have tested it.

How is that functionally different for me? If it works for my model of phone, but my network provider doesn't actually make it available to me, how does that help me? And to answer your question, I ordered my phone from Amazon (supposed to be new, great reviews for product and seller, fulfilled by Amazon, etc.), but the phone I received apparently has some Mexican firmware or something (Movistar splash screen, factory defaults to Spanish) and had opened packaging. If it will work for me on T-Mobile in the US, then I don't need to make a big fuss about it (you know, because I'm a reasonable adult, not a child like you claimed). But if there is some kind of issue from Mexico, US, Movistar, T-Mobile, or anyone else, I want to be able to return it and get a replacement. Make more sense now?

sehkzychic

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
What is it about this that people are struggling to understand?!
Well, speaking for myself, not actually being in the technology field (I do biology), I don't already know all of this about CV-ROMs and Network Provider custom ROMs. Perhaps you're an expert in all this, but to someone who isn't (that is, most people in the world), these things are definitely NOT obvious. Instead of insulting people for not knowing, it would be a lot better for everyone if you could offer help. If you don't think we deserve help, then don't offer, but there's no need to make us feel stupid for not sharing your background and expertise.

Shinsaku

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm French but I got my Nokia Lumia 820 imported from Germany (so it's country variant). ^^
My question is :
Would it be possible to have the Cortana update (the American version obviously) via changing the region of the phone ?
And then changing back the region to France and setting the phone in oreder to have Cortana (in English) and the rest of the phone in French ?
I hope this is understandable. ^^'

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I'm French but I got my Nokia Lumia 820 imported from Germany (so it's country variant). ^^
My question is :
Would it be possible to have the Cortana update (the American version obviously) via changing the region of the phone ?
And then changing back the region to France and setting the phone in oreder to have Cortana (in English) and the rest of the phone in French ?
I hope this is understandable. ^^'

Nope... The only French setting you could keep is region format (currencies, date/times and stuff). The rest has to be English (US).

Shinsaku

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, that's what I meant. ^^' Thanks very much anyway. :)

Btw... ... ... The official WP 8.1 Cyan update is AVAILABLE in France on Nokia Lumia 820 phones (at least for country variant ones) !!! :D
FINALLY !!!!!

fizze17

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Oh yes, that's what I meant. ^^' Thanks very much anyway. :)

Btw... ... ... The official WP 8.1 Cyan update is AVAILABLE in France on Nokia Lumia 820 phones (at least for country variant ones) !!! :D
FINALLY !!!!!

Nothing in India still!! >_<
MS !!! How freaking long you taking.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Its been two weeks since Vodafone Australia finished testing. Still no release for Windows Phone.
I really hope they are not waiting for Telstra to allow the other carriers to release the update.

BOOMTING

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
O2 in the UK have released the update for the 820, before even the Country Variant has been release; how does this make any sense?

Still good news for those of you on O2.

ranjitn2801

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Its being nearly a month since the first rollout for cyan.. And no info for lumia 820 in India..
The developers version was released on April 14.. More than 3 months for global rollout is a long time.. Not acceptable from software giant like Microsoft

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
There's no need to be rude. Some of us have reasons for the urgency. I bought a windows phone 2 weeks ago believing that the Cyan update and 8.1 would be released within the next week. If it will not work on my brand new 820, I need to know soon so I can return it and get a supported phone.

WP9 will be coming to the 820 (and all other WP8 phones). But it won't be here by next week so you should just return the phone.

^Your logic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes