Unable to free up storage space

mad820

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi

Since my phone memory was almost full, I decided to insert an SD card and transfer some files to this card.
Unfortunately, this doesn't help at all.

I've transferred more than 2 GB of data to this SD card, but I only freed up about 50 MB of storage on the phone itself.
All the other MB's have gone to system (it's more than 4.2 GB now, really ridiculous), and some maybe to double files (I copied some photos, and they were added to SD card, but weren't subtracted from the phone memory, but maybe this is just how the 'save to SD card' option is implemented?).
Anyway, even the more than 500 MB of apps I moved, didn't help.

This is getting completely ridiculous.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thank you!!

jontyfernz

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Since my phone memory was almost full, I decided to insert an SD card and transfer some files to this card.

I've transferred more than 2 GB of data to this SD card, but I only freed up about 50 MB of storage on the phone itself.
All the other MB's have gone to system (it's more than 4.2 GB now, really ridiculous), and some maybe to double files (I copied some photos, and they were added to SD card, but weren't subtracted from the phone memory, but maybe this is just how the 'save to SD card' option is implemented?).

Thank you!!

Its probably a bug but 4 gb is too much.Hard reset the phone and keep a watch on the phone memory

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Thank you!!

First of all don't do a hard reset because 4.2 GB as system is not ridiculous and it is not a bug.

There is a significant difference between "move" and "copy".
With "copy" you make a copy of the file on another location so the file stays on the original location and a copy is made on the new location.
With"move" you delete the file on the original location and past it on the new location.
So that explains why the storage space is not reduced on your internal memory.
If possible connect your phone to a computer and use windows explorer to check what you have done and delete the "copied" files on the internal memory.
If you want to do it on your phone use the app FILES (Files | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (India) ) or another app which does the same.

The system
Go to Storage Sense
go to phone
go to temporary files and tap it
Now tap delete (even is it shows 0)
Then tap 'Internet Explorer settings"
and delete (IE) history.

After that check what the system size is.

In system also some app data is stored which can not be deleted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99