GPS accuracy of Lumia 820

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Is the 820 known for having more accurate GPS than other Lumia phones? I had a Lumia 920 followed by an 830 for the last year since I've started running regularly. When either of these phones was used to track my runs, the mapped routes always show a lot of deviations from my path - increasing the total distance recorded by an average of 10%.

I started using a Microsoft Band a few months ago and found its GPS to be much more accurate. In that time, I've tracked runs with my brother's old Lumia 820 twice - once when I first broke my 920 several months ago and again last night. The GPS tracking in the 820 seems to be much more accurate than the other phone models. I've gotten only a 1% variance from my Band with this phone.

I will probably be using this 820 as a replacement device for a while. I was just wondering if others have noticed more GPS accuracy from this model compared to other phones.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard much to that ends in my year+ here, and considering its one data point each I don't think it holds statistical water (not too many compare the 820's GPS to others) and want to chalk it up to variability in all of them.

Interesting though.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it's not much of a data sample on the 820 yet. It was an unfamiliar experience to hear the phone announce the mile markers at nearly the same time that the Band alerted me. I'll see if this trend continues as I start running with this phone more often.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
How do you carry the phone while running? I carry mine in a hip belt and see slight variations from day to day running the same route.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
How do you carry the phone while running? I carry mine in a hip belt and see slight variations from day to day running the same route.

Normally in an armband, but occasionally just in my hand if I forgot to bring the armband with me. I've found the margin of error using the L920 and L830 to fluxtuate, but it was always consistently higher than the actual route distance. There is still a small margin of error with the L820, but in my limited experience, it matches the MS Band and the actual route much more precisely than the higher end phones I've used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro