Battery life= amazing

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
The battery on this phone is amazing after a week or two. I have LTE, wi-fi on all the time. I only turn on bluethooth when I use it. Screen is set to auto. I don't want to have to limit my features on this great phone.

One tip I have and I think it makes a significant difference, is to turn off the global settings. Go to Settings, Cellular and under Mode selection, select LTE and CDMA instead of Global. Let us know if you see a noticable difference, because I did.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have location off and only run a weather app in background tasks running, my phone now lasts almost a day and some hours, way better than most phones I have had. Just awesome.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
The battery on this phone is amazing after a week or two. I have LTE, wi-fi on all the time. I only turn on bluethooth when I use it. Screen is set to auto. I don't want to have to limit my features on this great phone.

One tip I have and I think it makes a significant difference, is to turn off the global settings. Go to Settings, Cellular and under Mode selection, select LTE and CDMA instead of Global. Let us know if you see a noticable difference, because I did.

Yeah that's only with Verizon....

garydm

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is horrible. On my old iPhone (3G) I would go 3-4 days with normal usage. Can barely make it one day on this phone. Everything is turned off. Ran the WP Bench battery test and got 2 hours 34 minutes. Does someone know what this means? The app does not give a distribution of all reported scores but only the top five which are in the 9-12 hour range for differen phones. Thanks.

Gary

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know the WP Bench test. How long have you had your phone? If it's the first day, then see what happens with the next few charges, if its longer than that, think about returning it if you really have turned everything off (especially NFC) and switched your cellular connection from Global to LTE and CDMA.

I don't know a single person who was able to get anywhere close to half of the 3-4 days you speak of on a iPhone 3GS, in fact, most were permanently connected to a charger. So, I'm guessing you're not a heavy user, meaning you should be experiencing better battery life and you definitely might want to take it to a VZW store and have it looked at, they can switch the battery out or test it for you, may just be a bad one.

garydm

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Very light user but would like to use the great things on the 822. I have had the phone for 3 weeks and keep hoping it will get better. It has not. And yes, I have everything off. I bought it at Best Buy and I think they have a 30 day return policy. Otherwise I love the phone.

BTW-I had the iPhone 3G and not the 3GS. Thanks.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
What do you mean everything is turned off? You shouldn't have to do that. Are you in a fringe LTE area? Do you have email accounts that are polling often? Do you have wi-fi turned on and connected when possible? Do you have the screen brightness set to auto?

Oh, I keep location on all the time too.

Personally, I have two email accounts, one getting as received (about 30-40 emails a day on this one) and one getting every 30 min (about 20-30 a day on this), lots of background tasks on, maybe about 8-10 live tiles updating. I get or send about 50 texts a day, get or make about 10 calls, etc. Browse my news apps, check weather apps, WPCentral etc. My battery can last from 6:00 -10:00 with about 20% left on an average day.

Last edited:

chamba

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I got my 822 about a week and a half ago and have been getting amazing battery life since letting it die completely before charging for the first time. I regularly go two full work days without charging (take off charger at 6am and dont put it back on until the next day near midnight). Location on, LTE on, NFC on, Bluetooth on, WIFI on and I use it for streaming music, a little navigation here and there, 2 exchange accounts with push email and another that checks every half hour, and random web browsing. I haven't had a phone with this kind of battery life since I had a Motorola flip phone years ago.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Very light user but would like to use the great things on the 822. I have had the phone for 3 weeks and keep hoping it will get better. It has not. And yes, I have everything off. I bought it at Best Buy and I think they have a 30 day return policy. Otherwise I love the phone.

BTW-I had the iPhone 3G and not the 3GS. Thanks.

Even though you bought it at Best Buy, you can still go to VZW and get it looked at. If you've had 3 weeks of bad battery life, I'd say now is the time. Your experience doesn't seem indicative of most everyone else and you said you're a lighter user, should be getting two days out of your battery after the first few days probably. If I were you, I'd get it looked at or see about a replacement. Several with problems got replacements and haven't had problems since.

garydm

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I primarily work from my home office and it is paired with my home wifi. Email is pull only and I only use it maybe once a day. Not in LTE fringe area. The phone in all other respects works great. Location is off, weather is off, bluetooth on only when in the car. I will take it by BB and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I primarily work from my home office and it is paired with my home wifi. Email is pull only and I only use it maybe once a day. Not in LTE fringe area. The phone in all other respects works great. Location is off, weather is off, bluetooth on only when in the car. I will take it by BB and see what they say. Thanks for your help.

Even though you're mostly on wifi, you have made sure that your cellular is LTE and CDMA and not Global, right? It won't matter that your data use is mostly through wifi, it will still drain for whatever reason with the Global connection. Also, just double check that NFC is off under Tap and Send. I found those two to be the biggest drains and they drain whether they are in use or not.

Hope it works out when you go into BB, might just be a bad one or a bad battery.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Also, until we get the update that is coming down the line, you're not on wifi if the phone is asleep, or screen off, whatever you want to call it. The wifi turns off then. The update will give us the option to keep it on.

garydm

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yep, NFC off as is Global. Took it into BB today and did an exchange. I will post the results in a day or two after I see what happens. Thanks for the counsel and information.

garydm

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Update-with the new phone it has been off the charger for about 5 hours now, did a few emails, inadvertently had push on, made a couple calls, turned weather back on, and played around with it. Remarkably on the battery tester app it still shows 100% charged. I sure hope this continues.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that initially the battery meter may not be 100% accurate. I'd suggest getting the battery discharger app, and running it dead (wait a few days before you do this, though - give it a couple 3-4 days of good charging before doing this), and then charge it all the way up, and THEN believe it when it says 100% 5 hours later.

mountainman

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I think calling the battery life on the 822 "amazing" is stretching it. It's ok. I've had worse, and I've had better.

As soon as an extended battery comes out, I will be first in line (to the expense of NFC and wireless charging). I must note that no phone has ever been good enough for me with a stock battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo