Camera reviews please

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
One of my main concerns with buying this phone is the camera. I would appreciate any reviews of the camera. I know it's better than my Trophy but how does it compare to other cell phone cameras? Thanks.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll second this request. Most of the desire for the 920 is obviously driven by the camera, so naturally some data points on the 822/820/etc would be much appreciated.

Genserik

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The camera is good but its not "easy". Mine doesn't autobalance the light exposure so some pictures turn out dark. You have to manually adjust the settings to get it right. My problem is that I don't understand the camera settings. The iPhone was easy with the camera. But now that I have the Nokia I want to lear. How the camera works so I can master it.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a great camera when you get the settings right.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a good camera. The low light with flash does much better then any phone I have ever had. It does have some color balance issues at least with CFL lit rooms kind of like the iPhone 5 and the purple haze from lights but backwards. If I take a picture of my ceiling lights in the dining room the surrounding area takes on a bluish tint. I think it is a software issue. I noticed the issue with the 920 stuff that's been floating around too. I also took a picture of my back door with the blinds closed and I noticed some areas took on a greenish tint.

The camera button is a two stage button, press for focus and exposure to ensure the shot you want is good and press more to take the pic. It seems a little odd because the button is small though.

seabumb

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I would really like to comment on the quality of the 822's camera but I cannot even get it to work. Pressing the 'camera' button on the side, the main screen 'camera' tile or the 'camera' tile in the apps list only results in the screen cycling from the main start screen tiles to the apps list and back to the start tiles. The camera will not start. I reset the phone and it still will not work. So, if anyone is asking me, the phone's camera sucks! (Now, if I am missing something and someone knows how to fix this issue, I am willing to hear, but as it stands now, the phone is going back to Verizon because I rely on the camera for work.) My HTC Trophy W7 phone was great so I might just swap for the HTC W8 phone so I can have a working camera.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
So far the camera is on par with most cell phones and hopefully Nokia will have a update to fix the low light issue. The 820 I had was a little better than the 820 IMO.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The camera should start the same way it does in your Trophy. Either press/hold the camera button or tap the camera app tile. If that doesn't work, try a hard reset of the phone (settings, about, reset your phone, confirm (twice, I think)). If it still doesn't work, you've got a defective phone.

seabumb

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I did the reset (hard reset as you stated and as was listed in my original post) - the camera does not work. For a phone to immediately have this problem straight out of the box is not very confidence inspiring. So far neither Verizon nor Nokia tech wish to address the issue. The phone will be going back it seems.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No problem - the only reason I spelled it out like that is because one person's reset might be doing it as I spelled it out, while the next person's means turning the phone off and back on. Not knowing which person you are, I was just making sure. No worries. ;) Good luck with the exchange, but I wouldn't be too concerned about a repeat. I worked in manufacturing for a number of years, and there are always going to be a certain number of problems. The key is that while you can't eliminate them completely, you keep them as low as possible, and do the best you can to appease the customer when there is a problem.

seabumb

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Understood. Thanks. I would give the Nokia another chance but neither Verizon nor Nokia want to acknowledge the camera does not work (phone techs and email). They seem to think that I am not pushing the right button --- THAT is frustrating. When I can tomorrow I will visit the Verizon store and let a live tech touch the phone and witness the camera will just not start - hardware or software, who knows?

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe they said the Lumia 8xx's have the same camera hardware than Lumia 900, but "better" software. EDIT: Well, I guess a Lumia 800 is technically too a Lumia "8xx", but referring to 810, 820, 822.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So far with the stock settings I am not thrilled with the speed of pictures taken. My last two phones were the GS3 and iPhone 4s and those basically take instant pictures. The 822 has that annoying lag that I used to despise.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
So far with the stock settings I am not thrilled with the speed of pictures taken. My last two phones were the GS3 and iPhone 4s and those basically take instant pictures. The 822 has that annoying lag that I used to despise.

It seems like it takes a long time for the camera to focus before it takes the shot. I am waiting to hear back from Nokia on the issue.

seabumb

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Follow up to previous complaint posts about the camera: Verizon is going to swap phones for me but I have to do it via mail because the local store does not stock the grey 822 and I am not going to pay a restocking fee for a phone that is defective. Sadly, one of the Lumia 822 phones at the Verizon store had the exact same problem and their tech people had already tried to fix it without success. There is also a post from another 822 owner (about 822 silicone covers) that his/her camera button does not work, either. I don't know if they can access the cameravia the soft keys (tiles) but this is enough incidents of the issue that Verizon and Nokia should be taking it quite seriously. I will be trying another 822 and if the next one has the same issue, I will let everyone know and I will exchange it for the HTC.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Attachments

• WP_20121117_003.jpg
    WP_20121117_003.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20121117_004.jpg
    WP_20121117_004.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 6
  • WP_20121117_017.jpg
    WP_20121117_017.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20121117_018.jpg
    WP_20121117_018.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20121117_032.jpg
    WP_20121117_032.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20121117_019.jpg
    WP_20121117_019.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

JoJoCal19

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Ugh. I was going to pull the trigger on the Walmart free offer but the camera is a deal breaker. I've been wanting to move on from my 4S and had looked so forward to a Pureview Nokia WP8 device on VZW. I want to hop on the WP8 train but they are making it hard.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. I was going to pull the trigger on the Walmart free offer but the camera is a deal breaker. I've been wanting to move on from my 4S and had looked so forward to a Pureview Nokia WP8 device on VZW. I want to hop on the WP8 train but they are making it hard.

I compared the camera to my sons 4s and the 822 is much slower but the photos are much better all around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05