Group Text

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that the 822 has Group Texting? Go to messaging > ... > Settings > and look for an option called Group Text. It seems the 8X on VZW does not have this option but as far as we can tell all other WP8 phones do including the 8X on other carriers.

EDIT: Nevermind this is confirmed not on the 822 also (news article that just went up). Sad.

Last edited:

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm still very curious why this is. If/when there is a hack to enable homebrew XAPs, I believe we'll have our answer. We can make a registry edit and see what's up.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this works on a WP8 device, but on Android, I believe using the VZ Messages app can help to solve this problem. Maybe it was an app that was preloaded on the phone? Hopefully it was because I didn't see it quickly looking in the Windows Phone store.

trikotret

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if this works on a WP8 device, but on Android, I believe using the VZ Messages app can help to solve this problem. Maybe it was an app that was preloaded on the phone? Hopefully it was because I didn't see it quickly looking in the Windows Phone store.
Did you find that app to allow you group message?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you create a group, you can still group text that group. Very odd that they would intentionally delete group texting one way and leave it the other.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
If you select multiple recipients for a text, then send it, you can always go back to that text and quickly send it to the group.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you create a group, you can still group text that group. Very odd that they would intentionally delete group texting one way and leave it the other.

this is false, if you do this all that happens is you send out an sms with multiple recipients as opposed to creating a thread. this requires conversion to mms which has been disabled for no apparent reason on verizon

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Well if you are talking about group texts like iphone, that is kind of a pain in the butt. I have iphone people who send that and then everyone who replies to the group text sends it out to everyone. I guess some people like that, but many people don't know their replies are going to everyone in the group. If I send a "group text", I want it to go to multiple people and then if they want to reply to me, they do so individually. I guess Verizon feels the same way, hahaha.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well if you are talking about group texts like iphone, that is kind of a pain in the butt. I have iphone people who send that and then everyone who replies to the group text sends it out to everyone. I guess some people like that, but many people don't know their replies are going to everyone in the group. If I send a "group text", I want it to go to multiple people and then if they want to reply to me, they do so individually. I guess Verizon feels the same way, hahaha.
it's a great way for a group of people to "talk," and what you prefer has little bearing on what others find useful
I think that is sort of what the Family room is....
rooms require all others to be on WP i believe, and regardless requires the other people to accept an invite, adding an extra step to what would be a fluid and seamless interaction.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
it's a great way for a group of people to "talk," and what you prefer has little bearing on what others find useful

rooms require all others to be on WP i believe, and regardless requires the other people to accept an invite, adding an extra step to what would be a fluid and seamless interaction.

Rooms can implement other phones, but with limited functionality. Calenders in rooms work with iPhone and Android. Chat only works on WP8. The other features "work best on WP8" (but "work" on WP7). I haven't used them, but read about them on the WP site.

As for the way iPhone group texters reply, my wife and I hate that. We have one friend that will group text a group of friends, and a few of them have iPhones, and they'll all text each other back and forth all night. Their texts will keep us up half the night.......

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I am with those who hate this feature. That does not excuse Verizon from removing it. Even on my humble Trophy I can turn this feature on or off. Why go backwards.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't hate the idea of being able to group text - send a text to a group - without having to individually send it to each person. I just don't want phones on the other end to be able to reply to all. That's where the problem is. Just like the reply-all button at work, where someone sends out a group message to inform everyone in the office of a situation, and everyone feels the need to reply-all to it, the mailbox gets filled quickly, and in the case of the phone, the beeping/vibrating gets insane.

PhotoAnt

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
SMS issues - one of the biggest complain about the native iOS messaging application is the inability to select multiple recipients at one go from the address book.

The old Symbian system allows this. So I am pretty disappointed that I am facing the same issue with WP8 as well! Or is there a feature I missed that could do this - besides sending to a pre-selected group?

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Portico brings this feature. You can click the plus next to "to" on a new txt and then hit the multiselect button at the bottom and select all you want.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i want group text so badly i had a dream last night that portico restored group text on the 822

Someone just posted on another thread that all you have to do is enter more than one person in the to: field. I'd forgotten about it, since I rarely do it, but that's how I did it on my Trophy. I think I've only done it about 4 times.

Is there something different than that, that I'm not knowing about?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Someone just posted on another thread that all you have to do is enter more than one person in the to: field. I'd forgotten about it, since I rarely do it, but that's how I did it on my Trophy. I think I've only done it about 4 times.

Is there something different than that, that I'm not knowing about?
Lol I think that person was probably me. I'm talking about group mms, where the chat is threaded with everyone in the conversation is texting together - so when one person replies, it can go to everyone else in the conversation too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs