screen protector with gorilla glass 2?

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
ok folks this is my first full blown smart phone and i have to say i am simply amazed with this phone. So whats the deal with gorilla glass 2? is it what it says it is or should i put a screen protector on it?

downstevedown

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass (original or 2) can still be scratched/broken/shattered, it's just that it's more resistant to it. Strangely, it seems very resistant to DELIBERATE damage (key tests, steel wool, nails, etc), but you can wake up one morning to see hairline scratches in it because you put it in your pocket yesterday, and grains of dirt abraded it.

It's so much better than old phone screen materials, but it's not perfect. Putting a screen protector on it will change the feel, so you need to weigh that against the possibility of scratching it.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Gorilla Glass can scratch - Trophy had it, and twice I ended up with scratches that I have no idea how they got there. One of them was about two inches long. I am NOT a person who carried a phone in his pocket, but in a belt case, so it wasn't keys or coins, so I've been puzzled as to what happened. I don't know how much better the GG2 is, but my point is that even though it is resistant, like the others have said, it can be scratched, and is more likely to happen inadvertantly, so a protector is a wise investment. It will change the feel, which is why I never put one on Trophy, until about a month ago. What changed my mind is this - I'd had screen protectors on prior phones, which were all Windows Mobile with stylii, and were rubbery feeling, which was nice for using with a stylus, but not what I wanted for finger. I had no idea they had nice feeling protectors for finger use until last month when I changed my step-daughter's screen on her Arrive, and what we bought for her phone came with protectors and I felt them, so I put one on my Trophy. It changed the feel slightly, but not enough for me to forego the protection on a much more expensive screen.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing is that the screen protector on my Trophy is filled with scratches and it doesn't bother me. If just one was on the actual screen it would drive me crazy!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Personally I have not had a screen protector on any of my smartphones for about 2 years. That being said, if you put your phone in a pocket with anything else in it then I would recommend a screen protector. I don't do that and I take good care of my stuff. But even if you take good care of your stuff I have seen peoples phone screen scratch just because they had it in a pocket with some change or keys.

bigdjunk

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I get a new phone every 2 years so I will put my faith in GG2. I saw some videos and it is so hard to scratch. Plus, I love the feel of the screen - I simply don't want to cover it with plastic :)

I am curious how well/bad using the phone with gloves would be with an added screen protector?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am curious how well/bad using the phone with gloves would be with an added screen protector?
Well, I don't have any gloves handy, but I'm sitting here wearing a Columbia fleece jacket, and my 822 has a screen protector from Verizon, plus the plastic screen cover that is part of the OtterBox, and I just wrapped 4 layers of the fleece over my finger, and was able to slide the lock screen up. I didn't try to enter the pin, as it's too bulky, but I'm impressed.

Are you?

Barbj62

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Had this phone for only 10 days, fell with phone in hand but didn't drop phone, however the screen shattered into a spider web of cracks! so treat with extreme care. Now how do I get it fixed and how much will it cost me?!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Had this phone for only 10 days, fell with phone in hand but didn't drop phone, however the screen shattered into a spider web of cracks! so treat with extreme care. Now how do I get it fixed and how much will it cost me?!

Well, the first question is do you have insurance, and if so, does that particular insurance policy cover accidental damage? If no to either, I don't yet see a replacement screen on Amazon (it would have REALLY surprised me if it was there already), so I think you're probably going to have to contact either Verizon or Nokia. Given customer service records of the two, I think I would contact Nokia first and see what they say.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I guess you just have to get lucky sometimes. Mine took a pretty good drop yesterday and not one scratch on it, needless to say I was impressed and relieved. I did try to put a protector on it today but it didn't fit well at all, so back to a naked screen.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The ones that Verizon has in the store are something like $12 for a 3 pack, and fit just fine. They'll even install the first one for you.

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
The ones that Verizon has in the store are something like $12 for a 3 pack, and fit just fine. They'll even install the first one for you.

those are what i went with.....they seem to get oily and get finger print smudges more quickly than without one....but i guess thats the trade off for no scratches

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I can't decide if I should get one or not. For the moment, I'm cleaning the phone once or twice a day with a microfiber cloth while I figure it out.

Most of the ones I've seen online are the wet application screen protectors, that seems to be really popular now. I haven't used one like that before. Verizon's are dry, right? Are they crystal clear ones that don't diminish the screen's vibrancy much? Is the feel almost as good as the bare screen? Pretty nice that they installed the first one for you. It'd be ideal for me to find one in store this weekend.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
If they are like the ones Verizon sells for the iPhone (which my wife has), they work very well, you forget it is there after a while.

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mu L920 just got very fine scratches. I take great care of my phone it was in two pockets last night. Nothing was in the pockets, so I don't know how. Clearly something did it, I'm not sure what. It kinda upsetting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)