Internet Sharing on VZW Shared Data Plan

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm unable to use the Internet Sharing (hotspot) on my new 822. When enabling IS, I get the message that says "Your current data plan doesn't include internet sharing...." There was a "fix" for the Trophy that involved modifying some internal settings via a service menu, but I can't apply the same fix to my 822. Is anyone having this issue? Have you found a resolution?

Thanks!

Getintothegame

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
In order to 'fix' it, I'm somewhat confident we'll need a registry editor.

If you want it legitimately, you'll need to add it to your plan. If you're on unlimited, you still can add the option by calling support. Share everything plans should include it.

Until then, I have it legitimately.

EDIT: Started doing some research. Looks like dialing ##634# brings up a lifetime calls counter and the color of your phone. There have got to be more. Interesting!

Found another: ##778# brings up the EPST menu. Service code is 000000. Looks like it's pretty locked down though.

Last edited:

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on shared plan so I didn't see a cost increase. I don't know about non shared plans.

Glad it was an easy fix for you. When I first went to a shared plan I was excited for the tethering then dismayed that it didn't work. I was expecting issues, extra costs, etc., but one quick to call to Verizon solved it!

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I was told by CS rep that the Shared Data plan included hotspot, so there would be no additional charges. We have three people sharing 6GB and we've never even reached half that so far in the last 3 months since going with the shared plan.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, there are no extra charges for using your phone as a hotspot on a shared plan. Been doing it for three months with my Trophy, and I look at my bill closely looking for extra charges that don't belong.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, my family is now on a share plan and was wondering if Data share is not as useful as it could be since technically it cant track the data usage of the other phones. Or is there a way to figure this out or set the app up for that?

C

corn13read

I'm on the old school plan with 5GB data. Anyone figure out how to enable tethering fully for free? This is making me miss my droid :(

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless you're on an unlimited plan, my understanding is that Verizon is NOT ALLOWED to charge for tethering. This is due to losing a lawsuit involving bandwidth that they purchased which had a string attached to it, and they got sued for violating that string. Ask them, but it should be free. If you try to tether with the phone, and it gives you the "It will cost you $20" web page, don't take its word for it - call and ask. That web page isn't always right.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
To put it the way that matters for people with Unlimited Plan, yes, VZW can and will charge $20 additional for tethering for those with the old Unlimited Plan. There are no additional charges if you are on one of the new tiered plans. The fee for unlimited plans is absolutely not in violation of the settlement with FCC which was also not a lawsuit but a FCC investigation. It really only takes a minute to look up the facts instead of guessing. Even CNET has an information page on the subject: What Verizon's FCC tethering settlement means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News#!. If that link doesn't work, just search verizon internet sharing unlimited FCC and one can get all the information one needs.

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, my family is now on a share plan and was wondering if Data share is not as useful as it could be since technically it cant track the data usage of the other phones. Or is there a way to figure this out or set the app up for that?

The one benefit I've found from Data Sense (beside the compression and such) is that even though it only shows my data, and not my whole family's, it also shows what programs utilize/waste the most. It helps me figure out what i should and shouldnt be using as much.

Also, I just have the My Verizon Mobile App right next to my Data Sense app if I need to check overall data.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss